Value of: Sean Durzi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I wouldnt mind Garland.

I think there is a bit of concern in LA of cluttering our roster and limiting opportunities for our prospects.
That's fair. Hes a second liner, maybe not the can't miss Forsberg esque sniper you might need to jump to the next level.
But in a value sense, him for Durzi makes sense. It would allow us to trade Myers and not have a huge hole there. Garland would suck to lose but he seems a luxury for a team that can't afford it, especially if we could get a talented young RHD.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Garland fits from the Canucks end as mentioned. I'm confused why kings fans don't want him, is it just a height thing? Guy is a beast down low.

It is the small size/gritty player style
We have a whole team full of those guys

We need someone who knows how to pick corners when shooting

That's fair. Hes a second liner, maybe not the can't miss Forsberg esque sniper you might need to jump to the next level.
But in a value sense, him for Durzi makes sense. It would allow us to trade Myers and not have a huge hole there. Garland would suck to lose but he seems a luxury for a team that can't afford it, especially if we could get a talented young RHD.

Sorry bud, Garland is a no fit for L.A.

Crown Royal

Apr 3, 2010
Boooo, get rid of Spence instead.

Oh and Walker, f*** that guy.
Spence is smarter than Durzi and avoids the stupid penalties. Personally, I think Durzi just ran out of gas playing 64 NHL games. I think we should keep both Durzi and Spence and see how Brandt Clarke plays out.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Resurrecting this thread to see if there's a team that would be willing to trade for (or a package centered around) Sean Durzi for at least a 2nd round pick in this (or next) years draft.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Resurrecting this thread to see if there's a team that would be willing to trade for (or a package centered around) Sean Durzi for at least a 2nd round pick in this (or next) years draft.

Detroit needs some RD depth after trading Hronek and probably walking away from Lindstrom.

Vancouver's 2nd + Zadina

for

Durzi + Pittsburgh's 3rd?

(Would also accept Matt Roy instead of Durzi)

Reactions: David Lunch

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Wings may be interested, they have 3 2nds in a row 41,42,43 and need RHD badly and hes young.
Druzi for one of those would make sense to the Kings IMO.

Detroit needs some RD depth after trading Hronek and probably walking away from Lindstrom.

Vancouver's 2nd + Zadina

for

Durzi + Pittsburgh's 3rd?

(Would also accept Matt Roy instead of Durzi)
What's your read on Zadina? I just know he was a very high pick, so there's gotta be something going on there? I think the Kings are mostly trying to clear roster/cap space so taking back a player isn't ideal, but I'm game to hear you out on Zadina and talk more.

Roy has much more value to the Kings than Durzi so I don't think it's worth going down that road.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Druzi for one of those would make sense to the Kings IMO.

What's your read on Zadina? I just know he was a very high pick, so there's gotta be something going on there? I think the Kings are mostly trying to clear roster/cap space so taking back a player isn't ideal, but I'm game to hear you out on Zadina and talk more.

Roy has much more value to the Kings than Durzi so I don't think it's worth going down that road.

My personal opinion is that Zadina is a relative bust. Maybe he can be a 3rd line scorer? But in Detroit he's pretty much a 4th liner behind the vets and the other kids we have coming up.

His salary is pretty low for 2 more seasons which could be good for someone looking for a reclamation project, but at this point I'd rather move on from him as I don't think Zadina breaks out in Detroit.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
My personal opinion is that Zadina is a relative bust. Maybe he can be a 3rd line scorer? But in Detroit he's pretty much a 4th liner behind the vets and the other kids we have coming up.

His salary is pretty low for 2 more seasons which could be good for someone looking for a reclamation project, but at this point I'd rather move on from him as I don't think Zadina breaks out in Detroit.
Gotcha, thanks for the honest take. I think the Kings have too many young forwards that are also in danger of not living up to potential unless given more of a role (Kaliyev, Byfield, Turcotte, Fagemo, etc) so I don't think it makes sense for the Kings to take on another one. The straight up 2nd rounder in the 41-43 range that WingsToPick4th mentioned would be more enticing to LA -- honestly I think it could just be a done deal.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He is feisty, a good offense generator who acts mostly as a fourth forward, but is weak on the defensive side and can get paranoid when he realizes he sucks at defense :P Still, his offense is undeniable, a 40-point+ caliber defenseman, and given his contract/RFA status he should easily yield a 2nd+.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Wings may be interested, they have 3 2nds in a row 41,42,43 and need RHD badly and hes young.

I could definitely see the Wings taking a flyer on Durzi. To backfill that Hronek spot. There are other options out there for RHD, but a lot of it is free agents that are older. I also get the impression that Yzerman might be looking to get bigger and more physical on the back end though, not smaller, with a a defensively somewhat questionable guy like Durzi. It'd be a little bit too much of a direct backfill with a sort of "poor man's Hronek".

The problem with Durzi's value is, despite a nice cheap contract for the time being...he's still a bit of an undersized defenceman, and pretty questionable defensively. That makes him a real "tweener" feeling #4/5D sort of guy. At least, in a lot of systems/situations i think that's how he ought to be viewed. He's still young enough to take another step and improve to a more solid Top-4 lock, and he's shown he can play quite a few minutes when pressed to it.

Problem is, i think most teams these days are looking for more of a steady, defensively robust sort of "top-4 lock". There are a bunch of teams around the league that are looking at options, or already pressing a somewhat suspect #4/5D into an everyday Top-4D role. Especially RHD.

If Hronek is worth a mid-1st and a high-2nd (debatable but that's what the market apparently said), i don't think a mid-2nd for Durzi is at all unreasonable "value". Problem is just finding a team with the right situation to take a flyer on a smallish "tweener" defenceman. Maybe you find a taker who is just looking to bolster their 3rd pair RHD behind a less reliable/durable/older guy to reduce their regular season minutes a bit? With a cheap contract, i could see teams being in the market for that. The age/price at least separates Durzi from the decent UFA market for tweener RHD.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
...or he might.

Trade a 2nd for him, give Durzi minutes and watch him get traded for a Hronek-esque haul in 2 years time?

Yeah. If Yzerman is interested in Hronek...i get the sense it'd be in that sort of "pump 'n dump" style "asset management" angle.

If you can ship out Hronek for a 1st and 2nd and then think someone like Durzi can give you similar results in your system for just a later 2nd...that's value management. Though it feels likely the fact Hronek being sent out at his age and contract, as well as productivity...was an underlying signal of what sort of blueline Yzerman actually wants to build. As was the catastrophic Chiarot signing. Which also indicated he clearly wants to add size, physicality, defensive robustness to the mix. None of which Durzi would really bring. Even if he does play with a bit of an edge.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Yeah. If Yzerman is interested in Hronek...i get the sense it'd be in that sort of "pump 'n dump" style "asset management" angle.

If you can ship out Hronek for a 1st and 2nd and then think someone like Durzi can give you similar results in your system for just a later 2nd...that's value management. Though it feels likely the fact Hronek being sent out at his age and contract, as well as productivity...was an underlying signal of what sort of blueline Yzerman actually wants to build. As was the catastrophic Chiarot signing. Which also indicated he clearly wants to add size, physicality, defensive robustness to the mix. None of which Durzi would really bring. Even if he does play with a bit of an edge.

All true. The point of picking up Durzi wouldn't be to replace Seider. It would be to give Detroit a cost controlled asset that at worst would return a 2nd round pick even if Durzi shits the bed.

Look at the Leddy trade; Traded for a 2nd by NYI. Played the worst hockey of his career in Detroit, then was traded for a 2nd, Walman who has been great, and Oskar Sundqvist who was solid in a depth role. That's the kind of trade I would expect Yzerman to make with Durzi after some of the kids ripen.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Been a big time trade durzi guy for a while. However he made huge strides this year defensively and with his breakouts.

Would like to see what he could do with a more stay at home type that LA does not have .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad