Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] G Joey Daccord signs extension with the Kraken (5 years, $5M AAV)

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The league is littered with goalies who got large contracts and then turned into pumpkins. Seattle literally has two of them already. Unless you have a top talent like Shesty, Sorokin, Vasi, etc. its crazy for paying a guy based on 1 good year
If you understand goaltending, Grubauer and other similarly bad contract recipients were never that great.

This Daccord contract reminds me a lot of when Ullmark signed with Boston

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Never did I ever expect to see him sign that much term, let alone get that much money. Good for him! Wish him nothing but luck.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Looks like GMs are re-entering the phase of "Overpay the goalie".

In another 5 years we'll have a litany of bad goalies on worse contracts and teams will be not wanting to pay a premium for goaltending.

Flat Circle.gif

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
If you understand goaltending, Grubauer and other similarly bad contract recipients were never that great.

This Daccord contract reminds me a lot of when Ullmark signed with Boston
What does this even mean? Grub had a 6 year track record of being a good goalie before turning into a pumpkin. Ullmark had 3-4 of good play on terrible Sabres teams.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
What does this even mean? Grub had a 6 year track record of being a good goalie before turning into a pumpkin. Ullmark had 3-4 of good play on terrible Sabres teams.
Grubauer failed when Washington called upon him, and he was simply adequate as a cheap option for Colorado. The reason the Avs had him for as long as they did was because he was "good enough" at a reasonable price. They quickly cut bait when he wanted a raise, just like they later did with Kuemper and I'm sure they will do with Georgiev.

As soon as Grubauer didn't have a contending level team to carry him like he did in Colorado and Washington he fell apart. Daccord has played much better behind the exact same Seattle team

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
A goalie (of all positions) who just turned 28 last month is starting the back half of his career?

If you do a bell curve of starting goalies, I'd say 28-32 is more like their prime.

Those are completely unrelated terms. Unless he’s playing into his 40s, 28/29 is the back half of his career.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't hate Daccord, I think he's a good goalie, and I am happy for him. But I HATE this contract for the league. With such a fickle position and the general decrease of overall talent, I don't think it's healthy for anyone to be handing out 5yr deals.

Last edited:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think Seattle was one of the few teams that has a tax free state and could take on a gigantic Igor Shesterkin sized cap hit but this should put them out of that category.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
He was the goalie prospect we had that I liked the most. I was really sad to see him get picked, but I'm glad he's finding success in Seattle. Hope his play continues to improve and he makes this contract look like steal!

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Can tell a lot about who understands goaltending vs those who don't in this thread. Daccord is an excellent goalie and it's shown in the difference between him and Grubauer on the same team. 5x5 is a great contract

Nobody understands goaltending.

They're too inconsistent from year to year.

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is one of the biggest WTF?! deals I've seen a goalie get in quite some time. Especially when the team had him on the bench for their opener in favor of a very washed up Grubauer, who has been bad for years now.

Daccord is 28 and pretty much entering his sophomore NHL season. Last season was basically his rookie season in the NHL at 27 years old. He was in the minors for years and got call ups, but couldn't even make the league full time until last year.

We've seen these types of goalies have one good season, then go on the very next year to look like the career AHL goalies they were thought to be prior to that one good season.

This deal is almost as stupid as the Korpisalo UFA deal from 2023. Only we KNEW Korpisalo was bad, outside of the one up year he just came off of. We don't really know if Daccord is good or bad. We certainly don't know if he's good. This deal could wind up looking bad before it even kicks in if he had a sub-par season. I didn't even realize it was for 5 years when I saw $5 million. I thought it was maybe gonna be 3 years.

They almost definitely have to buy out Grubauer after this year. But it seems like they aren't ready to stop making Grubauer happen. It seemed as though Daccord usurped him last year and outplayed him, yet they go right to washed up Grubauer for opening night. It is Disco Dan, who we already know is an idiot. I'm pretty sure Ron Francis is too.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
His agent is ruthless. Obviously used game 1 tape to hold the team hostage.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Igor is probably like ''If Daccord is worth $5 million for 5 years after just one year in the league, and he's not even a year younger than me, I must be worth $15 million for like 8 years?''.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
His agent is ruthless. Obviously used game 1 tape to hold the team hostage.
Somehow he wasn't able to hold Disco Dan and Ron Francis hostage before the game to play him over Grubauer in the season opener. :laugh:

By the way, totally unrelated to this topic. Dan Bylsma got so old looking. He seriously looks about 20 years older than he did the last time he was coaching in the league. I don't even think that was 8 years ago.

The decision to go with Grubauer over Daccord in the opener would indicate that his faculties have also aged even more rapidly than the rest of him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It doesn't necessarily reset the market considering 90% of teams can look at their FA goalie and say "You're not Igor Shesterkin".

That's not really what a "market reset" is though. When an insane megadeal like that impending Shesty contract comes along, it can drag the rest of the market up with it.

Where this $5M becomes..."well, he's not less than half as good as Shesterkin". Which leads you to...potentially $6-7M being the "halfway point" to that new top bracket setter.

No guarantees it goes that way, or remains more like the player market that is a bit squishy and fungible in terms of certain "middle tier" players...but that's the risk. And you do not want to be left without a legitimate Starting Caliber netminder (or these days, two).

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
The league is littered with goalies who got large contracts and then turned into pumpkins. Seattle literally has two of them already. Unless you have a top talent like Shesty, Sorokin, Vasi, etc. its crazy paying a guy based on 1 good year
Grubauer presumably the first one, who is the second?

Fair warning, if you say "Driedger" you're showing your ass to the board that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad