Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] G Joey Daccord signs extension with the Kraken (5 years, $5M AAV)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No one reset the market, everyone and their grandma knows the cap is skyrocketing after this season.

If your agent isn't telling you these things as a player, what the hell are you even paying your agent for, they should be telling you that NHL revenue has grown massively and that growth is not reflected yet in the cap because of the NHL's temporary RTP CBA that was made for COVID. Well COVID is long over.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
People still living in an age when the salary cap isn’t going to be a greater than $90 million… $5 million is going to be standard pay for an average starting goal goalie… It already is! His stats last year if reproduced warrant it - and they make buyout gru next year

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
People still living in an age when the salary cap isn’t going to be a greater than $90 million… $5 million is going to be standard pay for an average starting goal goalie… It already is!

5 million is quickly going to be basically what $3.5 million used to be.

You would think basic inflation even at the grocery store would prepare people for this concept, like you're not paying the same price for anything that you were 5 years ago.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Even if we grant 5 as an average starting goalie wage - is Daccord even an average starting goalie?

I always perceived him as a below-average starter, an average tandem half, or an above-average backup. So to me even if we grant “5 mil is the average starting goalie money” - that still doesn’t answer the question of if it’s the right money for Daccord.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Even if we grant 5 as an average starting goalie wage - is Daccord even an average starting goalie?

I always perceived him as a below-average starter, an average tandem half, or an above-average backup. So to me even if we grant “5 mil is the average starting goalie money” - that still doesn’t answer the question of if it’s the right money for Daccord.

Last season was the only season he was a starter (also the only season he played more than 8 games and the season he played 72% of his NHL games), and he was at worst an average starter (probably above average).

To me its more of a question if you can trust that performance going forward given the non-existent track record.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Daccord really only had his first chance at starting last year and was 14th among all full-time starters in GSAx - he was an above-average starter last year even though IIRC he slowed down in the second half.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
5M puts him roughly around the 15th-20th highest paid goalie mark. Some of those contracts have RFA years in them and are not UFA contracts. Additionally, the cap is set to rise dramatically. Three years from now, 5M is barely going to be legitimate starter money. For context, the 32nd highest paid goalie this season makes 3.15M.

I understand this contract taking people by surprise, because Daccord is not a big name, and he likely flew under the radar being in Seattle and not being in the playoffs. He was their MVP last year. He has been a very solid pro goalie and a well regarded goalie prospect for years. They were apparently surprised that he wasn't claimed two years ago when they had to waive him because of their depth in net.

If I was a Seattle fan, I would be happy with this contract. That doesn't mean there isn't risk. But similar to the Ullmark deal in Ottawa, the risk goes both ways. That's something people have to acknowledge. In a perfect world, the team gets to have their cake and eat it too. They get to test drive the goalie for 40 games, ensure they are a perfect fit, and then get them to sign. While the two situations aren't exactly the same because Ullmark has an extensive body of work that suggests he is almost certainly a top 5-10 goalie in the league, the risk is similar. If Daccord plays half a season and is a Vezina candidate like he was for the first half last year, all of a sudden Seattle is looking at 6.5M+ and a lot more term. With Ottawa, if they wait to sign Ullmark, they could fail to get into a playoff spot, and Ullmark could reconsider whether the fit is there.

There is a false idea that every contract has to be a homerun for the team, and if a contract is not a steal then the GM is an idiot. Things are more black and white in real life application. When it comes to choosing to extend a player early, risk goes both ways.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
5M puts him roughly around the 15th-20th highest paid goalie mark. Some of those contracts have RFA years in them and are not UFA contracts. Additionally, the cap is set to rise dramatically. Three years from now, 5M is barely going to be legitimate starter money. For context, the 32nd highest paid goalie this season makes 3.15M.

I understand this contract taking people by surprise, because Daccord is not a big name, and he likely flew under the radar being in Seattle and not being in the playoffs. He was their MVP last year. He has been a very solid pro goalie and a well regarded goalie prospect for years. They were apparently surprised that he wasn't claimed two years ago when they had to waive him because of their depth in net.

If I was a Seattle fan, I would be happy with this contract. That doesn't mean there isn't risk. But similar to the Ullmark deal in Ottawa, the risk goes both ways. That's something people have to acknowledge. In a perfect world, the team gets to have their cake and eat it too. They get to test drive the goalie for 40 games, ensure they are a perfect fit, and then get them to sign. While the two situations aren't exactly the same because Ullmark has an extensive body of work that suggests he is almost certainly a top 5-10 goalie in the league, the risk is similar. If Daccord plays half a season and is a Vezina candidate like he was for the first half last year, all of a sudden Seattle is looking at 6.5M+ and a lot more term. With Ottawa, if they wait to sign Ullmark, they could fail to get into a playoff spot, and Ullmark could reconsider whether the fit is there.

There is a false idea that every contract has to be a homerun for the team, and if a contract is not a steal then the GM is an idiot. Things are more black and white in real life application. When it comes to choosing to extend a player early, risk goes both ways.
Well said, he's been highly regarded for a while now...his play and potential have definitely outrun his name recognition and perception for a myriad of reasons. There are definitely not 15 goalies I'd take ahead of him in the NHL right now or for the foreseeable future. All goalie contracts are a bet - but this is a good bet.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

Well said - similar folks complaining about UPL contract in Buffalo, which is basically the exact same deal. They are upset if Levi becomes better… Which is irrelevant because then you have two good goalies and paying one that we know is at least a starter and at a good age is totally fine at a reasonable rate.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Can tell a lot about who understands goaltending vs those who don't in this thread. Daccord is an excellent goalie and it's shown in the difference between him and Grubauer on the same team. 5x5 is a great contract
The league is littered with goalies who got large contracts and then turned into pumpkins. Seattle literally has two of them already. Unless you have a top talent like Shesty, Sorokin, Vasi, etc. its crazy paying a guy based on 1 good year

Last edited:
Reactions: QuizGuy66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad