GDT: SCSF Game 1: Montreal Canadiens Vs Vegas Goldens Knights | 6:00PM PT | Who the devil are you?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Nice win. Got to be ready for game 2 now.

With each passing game, the more I think it would be a mistake to let Martinez walk.

May not have a choice if some team offers 6x3 we can't offer that even with the tax advantage but if the team trades Reaves and lets Nosek and Janmark walk they could offer 5x3 which could get close enough to have him consider staying in Vegas if comfortable.

I think signing him and retaining Holden and running back the same D corps is our best bet. Let Korczak, Cormier, Deliberatore develop another season before they have to make decisions. And another year for Hague to improve skating but have backup in case he can't be relied on every night.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
With the damage he puts his body through blocking shots. No issue if Martinez goes out and takes his biggest pay day. His impact shouldn't be understated though. Massive upgrade to the back end when he was acquired and Vegas does not have his replacement.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
With the damage he puts his body through blocking shots. No issue if Martinez goes out and takes his biggest pay day. His impact shouldn't be understated though. Massive upgrade to the back end when he was acquired and Vegas does not have his replacement.

Maybe Whitecloud can play LD.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
May not have a choice if some team offers 6x3 we can't offer that even with the tax advantage but if the team trades Reaves and lets Nosek and Janmark walk they could offer 5x3 which could get close enough to have him consider staying in Vegas if comfortable.

I think signing him and retaining Holden and running back the same D corps is our best bet. Let Korczak, Cormier, Deliberatore develop another season before they have to make decisions. And another year for Hague to improve skating but have backup in case he can't be relied on every night.

Sure it could be an issue but that's drunken sailor offerings in a flat cap world. I'm just struggling to see who offers that to a guy at his age, you have to be very careful with the over 35 contract rules. GMs are more savvy than that, they see things like yesterday's goal and realize any player can shoot into an open net off an amazing pass like that. His value is in his shot blocking, but that's something you can get younger and cheaper elsewhere. But if it comes to that, I don't think the Knights can get into a bidding war. They just have to hope for maybe another year at about his current cost and then prepare for life without him using young talent. You can't just keep running it back with older veterans.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I was about to say I'm going to wear my Theodore jersey tonight and hope he pulls his head out of his azz and decides he's ready to join his teammates and play some playoff hockey. He's playing with zero confidence. At least he's not giving up the puck that leads to an easy breakaway goal as often as he did in the finals vs the caps. That was my biggest worry about Hague playing the Avs.

The magic game worn Theodore jersey did it's job last night. Fans around me said good call on wearing his jersey last night. I'll wear the gw Reilly Smith or a Pie adidas made in Indonesia crap they sell to fans which are not true authentics for the next game. True authentics are made in Canada. And my friend will wear his old Roy habs jersey then send his butt back to Hilo with memories of vgk whooping his habs.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Sure it could be an issue but that's drunken sailor offerings in a flat cap world. I'm just struggling to see who offers that to a guy at his age, you have to be very careful with the over 35 contract rules. GMs are more savvy than that, they see things like yesterday's goal and realize any player can shoot into an open net off an amazing pass like that. His value is in his shot blocking, but that's something you can get younger and cheaper elsewhere. But if it comes to that, I don't think the Knights can get into a bidding war. They just have to hope for maybe another year at about his current cost and then prepare for life without him using young talent. You can't just keep running it back with older veterans.

Martinez is only 33. 35-plus contract would have nothing to do with him. It's age in the first year of the contract that determines that.

He has been much, much more than a good shot blocker for us.

Friedman already reporting Vegas will most likely not be able to sign him and that many teams will be calling him. He's getting bigger money.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I doubt if vgk can resign Martinez. I think some team desperate to upgrade their second D line will give him $5mill for 4 years and they can't offer anything like that without trading a top 6 guy out and that isn't going to happen and trading fleury will lead to a fan revolt. The leafs would love to have a guy like him, but they are losing so many players as they have 12 UFA with $12 mil in cap space and I doubt they are trading Marner no matter how bad he is in the playoffs. I could see the oilers going hard after him. They got cap space and could offer a 4 year contract that some other teams will not offer.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
His value is in his shot blocking, but that's something you can get younger and cheaper elsewhere

How are we going to get that younger and cheaper elsewhere? Nobody else in the league blocked as many shots as he has.

It's not just that Martinez gets in front of everything.

It's how much more he has done it than anyone else this season. He blocked 168 shots in the regular season, 40 more than the next-closest player, Edmonton Oilers defenseman Adam Larsson, and has blocked 55 in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, 15 more than the next-closest player, New York Islanders defenseman Scott Mayfield.

Martinez inspires Golden Knights ahead of Game 2 against Canadiens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad