Scott Darling on NHL/NHLPA Players Assistance Program - They’re Monsters (NSFW Language)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Can't watch this at work right now. Is there a summation of what he says?

He says the NHL player assistance program is a franking joke

He says they try to void the contract once they find out about it that you’re in it.

Which I doubt
Becuase if you just up and leave and handle it yourself that is more troublesome as they’ll question the validity and have more grounds to void the contract that way.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I mean yeah, obviously the PA is going to use your contract as leverage to get you to complete the program.

Are they monsters if they say ‘if you leave before we’re satisfied with your progress, your team will void your contract and we wont argue on your behalf’? Maybe.

A player signing up for a program on their own can basically leave whenever they like, helped or not. The point of the Player Assistance program is not simple charity. They want to minimize the number of people with problematic, potentially dangerous issues playing in their league. Duh.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think by PA he meant player assistance, which is run by the NHL? I dunno

Yeah thats kind of my confusion as they say you go through the Players Association to get it according to a spencer knight article.

like the NHLPA (players association) would go to war over a contract being terminated through this program if you decide to enter it.

Reactions: DaveG

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think the reason guys go in it is because if you don't you can lose your contract especially in the substance abuse situations.

That’s why his advice sounds sketchy, essentially he’s telling players to go at it alone, like dude what? You’re risking millions and millions of dollars taking his advice.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He says the NHL player assistance program is a franking joke

He says they try to void the contract once they find out about it that you’re in it.

Which I doubt
Becuase if you just up and leave and handle it yourself that is more troublesome as they’ll question the validity and have more grounds to void the contract that way.

Well, the contract canceling thing wouldn't be the league. It would be the team. I'm sure there are many owners and executives who would see addiction and mental health as a moral failing and try to fire them. The league has fans, employees and owners who need to kick rocks in a big, bad way.

As far as the quality of the Assistance Program, this would be a partnership or a series of partnerships with organizations who deal with in-patient and out-patient rehab, mental health, etc. It's possible that the NHL has chosen low quality partners. It sounds exactly like something they would do tbh.

Last edited:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
The PA and the NHL wasted an entire season on being unable to come to terms with a contract and then wasted half of another season purely based on greed and there are people surprised that a former player calls them monsters? Yeah sorry, I'm with Darling on this one, deal with it internally on your own.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I would never go to HR with something like this at work either to be honest. They are there to protect the NHL and not the player.

I am sure there are contractual benefits to going through the NHLPA but other than that, I can easily see what he is saying to be true.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Well, the contract canceling thing wouldn't be the league. It would be the team. And I'm more than sure that several teams are managed and/or owned by douchebags who see addiction and mental health problems as a moral failing, and would try to flush them for the crime of seeking help. The league has fans, employees and owners who need to kick rocks in a big, bad way.

As far as the quality of the Assistance Program, this would be a partnership or a series of partnerships with organizations who deal with in-patient and out-patient rehab, mental health, etc. It's possible that the NHL has chosen low quality partners to save money. Check that, it's probable. The league's operations under Bettman and co. have consistently failed to clear a very low moral bar and I could see they being too cheap to hire proper partners.

I still think of it as the team being the league.
100% owners want to void that.

I think his advice saying go at it alone is not smart. You pay your dues to the NHLPA and it says on their website they developed the player assistance program. They would go bat for you on contracts being voided

Like Richard’s and evander ken who may be idiots still getting settlements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad