Waived: Scott Darling and Valentin Zykov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So basically you're saying is that you can take any good AHL goal scorer and put him with the best player in the world and he'll get decent NHL numbers.

very enlightening.

Doesn't mean we should keep him

I think Rod's gonna go with Rask - McGinn - PDG and why shouldn't he? It looks like the makings of a decent line

I was wrong and you were right.

You said Zykov would get his numbers inflated by the best player in the world. I said he’d play with Crosby.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He was wanted. Ouch a little. I don’t think he’s a good fit for Mcdavid 5v5 but he could do some damage on the pp. Could be rough watching that. Imagine not being good enough to play on our pp (or mediocre no offense team) after a 30 goal season in the AHL and a good call up late last year to being an important part of the oilers pp......

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
You really have to wonder if there was something else going on there. I mean, no he didn't exactly "earn" 1st line time next to Aho-TT, but he was also never really given a chance to prove where he belonged because he was used so sparingly. Even if he doesn't break out, it would have been nice to see him get a real chance to earn a spot somewhere vs playing him on the 4th line for a few minutes per night and misusing him on the PP before saying "he didn't earn it". Svech has shown flashes of brilliance as well that have gone completely wasted because his linemates are Walmart and Martinook...not that they're bad players, they're great 4th liners, but they're not on the same level Svech should be. Keep playing him there and he'll never get a chance to earn more either.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
Oilers fan coming to learn about Zykov. He may get a chance with McDavid (everybody does) but I wouldn't expect it to last long, especially if he is slow as I have read here. Appears to be a decent depth guy, based on your comments. May get some PP2 time, anything can happen with Hitchcock in charge (an improvement from predictable McLellan, in my books).

Best of luck to your team this year!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Oilers fan coming to learn about Zykov. He may get a chance with McDavid (everybody does) but I wouldn't expect it to last long, especially if he is slow as I have read here. Appears to be a decent depth guy, based on your comments. May get some PP2 time, anything can happen with Hitchcock in charge (an improvement from predictable McLellan, in my books).

Best of luck to your team this year!
He lacks open ice skating generally, not very mobile laterally and it takes a little time to get up to speed.

That’s his real flaw. To me it was more the lack of mobility than speed. He doesn’t change direction very quickly, to be fair though he looked better this year like he had worked on it.

He’s very good playing the NHL cycle game. Very good hands, sees the play well and can make good plays in tight spaces. He’s a great finisher around the net. Redirects and rebounds, as well as a very good shot. Below the dots in the offensive zone he’s pretty solid. Everywhere else he’s a question mark. It’s borderline embarrassing we lost him on waivers depending on how he does with you guys obviously. Brind’Amour wouldn’t play him. We don’t understand why, he looked pretty legit last year and aside from a slow start when everyone else started hot he didn’t do anything wrong. He never got a second chance.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
He lacks open ice skating generally, not very mobile laterally and it takes a little time to get up to speed.

That’s his real flaw. To me it was more the lack of mobility than speed. He doesn’t change direction very quickly, to be fair though he looked better this year like he had worked on it.

He’s very good playing the NHL cycle game. Very good hands, sees the play well and can make good plays in tight spaces. He’s a great finisher around the net. Redirects and rebounds, as well as a very good shot. Below the dots in the offensive zone he’s pretty solid. Everywhere else he’s a question mark. It’s borderline embarrassing we lost him on waivers depending on how he does with you guys obviously. Brind’Amour wouldn’t play him. We don’t understand why, he looked pretty legit last year and aside from a slow start when everyone else started hot he didn’t do anything wrong. He never got a second chance.

Awesome, thanks for further analysis. Sounds like he'll fit in with Lucic (minus the good hands part hahaha). We can relate over here to a coach mismanaging youngsters, but Rod's still a beauty

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I feel like most people including Velluci are confused at the Zykov situation. It doesn't make much sense for Rod to have not played him, and then make a comment about how he needs playing time. What the actual **** is he doing, then?

Rod loves himself some grinders. The downside to the "try hard" coach, I suppose.

Lempo’s idea of the NHL forcing Zykov to waivers deserves a media question. The conditioning stint was sketchy. It seems like Zykov had demand, there is no reason he shouldn’t have gotten a minor asset in a trade.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As JR said, “when you’re drowning other gm’s throw you anvils not life preservers” or something to that effect. There’s no way we didn’t shop the guy, obviously no one offered something we would take. Why now for waivers? Well they had already sent him down for the conditioning stint to buy time, and now he’s just keeping a roster spot.

Maybe this weekend has a reason for why now, otherwise I’m guessing Rod said he isn’t going to play him anytime soon without injuries or even with. Then you waive him. There’s no way we didn’t call around shopping him though.

All interested parties likely knew they had a shot for waivers.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Rod and his "grit and grind" style is going to cause us to mismanage/lose and neuter the development of players. I'm not excited for this. Zykov isn't setting the world on fire but with the right linemates he could have been a 20-30 point guy here, plus he had a nose for the net. This team needs all the points it can get.

But nah, we don't need no net front prescense and pesky potential for 30 points a season, we got to grind our way to win damn it!

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Lempo’s idea of the NHL forcing Zykov to waivers deserves a media question. The conditioning stint was sketchy. It seems like Zykov had demand, there is no reason he shouldn’t have gotten a minor asset in a trade.

Pure speculation obviously. His allowed 14 days were up anyway.

I don't know if the League actually would semi-unofficially tell a team to sort out any questionable stuff themselves voluntarily before the League makes it an official issue.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Oil fan just wanted to ask something. Why did you guys waive Zykov? He had 7 points in 10 games for you guys. Small sample size but what was the problem other than his skating?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Rod and his "grit and grind" style is going to cause us to mismanage/lose and neuter the development of players. I'm not excited for this. Zykov isn't setting the world on fire but with the right linemates he could have been a 20-30 point guy here, plus he had a nose for the net. This team needs all the points it can get.

But nah, we don't need no net front prescense and pesky potential for 30 points a season, we got to grind our way to win damn it!

But getting a net front presence and playing hard on the puck is the definition of a grinder's game. That's exactly what Rod wants, and what Zykov would provide (based on the game's we saw of him).

That's why I think there was something else going on behind the scenes that fans aren't privy to. It didn't sound like Rod was too broken up over the possibility of losing him, and there was no reason (that the fans could see) why the likes of PDG and Bishop were getting looks instead of Zykov.

Gottta assume there was an issue, either with his practices, in the locker room, or something else that caused the organization to sour on him so quickly.

Also worth noting that Zykov was originally a King's prospect, and LA had waiver priority before Edmonton. So they intentionally passed up on reaquiring the guy.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
RTFM.... now that's an abbreviation I've not seen in a long time

23210i.jpg

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
I feel like Rod isnt being given the opportunity by this board to build his team the way he wants.

Nobody remembers Martin Frk, Ty Rattie, Nestrasil, Chris Terry, and all the other tweener players who have been given a shot over the years and haven't performed. Chances are nobody is going to remember Zykov either.

So Rod likes PDG on the 4th line? Maurice loved Chad Larose too.. Our teams success or failure isn't going to come down to that.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
For those Oilers fans asking about Zykov, I'm sure you'll get a lot of "he has no mobility and that limits his effectiveness." That's 100% true.

But as for his pros, its scoring around the net. Net front anything. A really strong man. Aside from Nic Wallin, I don't know that I've ever seen a more immovable player along the boards and behind the net. In his few showings with the Canes, I saw more reverse hits than I can remember any other Cane throwing (again except Wallin). Shrugged off defenders on the boards like they were pre-teens. Not a big man, but a bowling ball.

His skating is bad enough that it neutralizes a lot of his effectiveness. Were he an average NHL skater he could be a 25-30 goal scorer, IMO. If he's on McDavid's line, he'd be nothing but the trailer on the rush. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing because he's got a good shot, but I'd bet McDavid would feel like he's lugging him up and down the ice.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Didn’t he have a one way or something like that? Maybe that played a role in other teams interest, probably expected us to take a problem back for him.

Still, he played well enough to get the contract from the current regime....why the hell not give him more chances? You signed him to it for a reason.

At the league minimum. I can't imagine there are more than a handful of teams leaguewide for which his one-way contract would have been an issue.

The number of teams passing on him says more about how the league views his skating than anything else, imo. It's now a skating league. Unless a team is trying to play slow, heavy hockey, there's only so many spots in a lineup for a player like Zykov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad