Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
they have also been rebuilding for how long? I think looking at percentage and ignoring the roster he had to work with is not the way to go
I think we have to hope/trust that Arniel listened to what each candidate said about how they would run the PP and PK based on our current roster, or anticipated roster and took that into consideration. Also I'm guessing there was a long list of things off our need to know as fans list that came into play in the decision making.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think we have to hope/trust that Arniel listened to what each candidate said about how they would run the PP and PK based on our current roster, or anticipated roster and took that into consideration. Also I'm guessing there was a long list of things off our need to know as fans list that came into play in the decision making.
First 7 words say it all.
We’re all in …to use poker vernacular

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Jets were 45/240 on the PP last season. It's crazy how one more PP goal every 8 games or so (10 more PP goals) in the same number of chances would put them in the top 10 in the league

Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do with the talent we have
Ehlers would have got them another goal every 8 games

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
There are a few good YouTube videos out there with Davis Payne teaching the PP. Neat stuff and cool to hear his philosophy. One thing that stuck out was the aggressive nature and attack mentality of the PP; that is a similar model to Chynoweths apparent PK style so I think we are getting a glimpse on what Arneil is looking to do. Fast with aggressive pressure 5x5 PK & PP, without compromising defensive responsibilities.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There are a few good YouTube videos out there with Davis Payne teaching the PP. Neat stuff and cool to hear his philosophy. One thing that stuck out was the aggressive nature and attack mentality of the PP; that is a similar model to Chynoweths apparent PK style so I think we are getting a glimpse on what Arneil is looking to do. Fast with aggressive pressure 5x5 PK & PP, without compromising defensive responsibilities.
I think you're on to something with that. I bet any acquisitions we make this summer will fit that profile of fast and agressive.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

It’s pretty nice how Arniel picked a PK coach with a style very different to what he ran last year

I do like that leadership / ownership to what didn’t work approach

Love this

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Also interesting fun fact: Chynoweths first coaching gig was with Utah Grizzlies where he coached anti-special teams enthusiast Brad Lauer.

And another fun tid bit is Payne and Chynoweth were teammates on the 95-96 and 96-97 Boston Bruins. Also interesting 96-97 Payne was a teammate on the Providence Bruins with Kevin Sawyer. Cannot wait to hear that every game now.

Last edited:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Also interesting fun fact: Chynoweths first coaching gig was with Utah Grizzlies where he coached anti-special teams enthusiast Brad Lauer.

And another fun tid bit is Payne and Chynoweth were teammates on the 95-96 and 96-97 Boston Bruins. Also interesting 96-97 Payne was a teammate on the Providence Bruins with Kevin Sawyer. Cannot wait to hear that every game now.
That 96 Providence Bruins teams produced a number guys that moved on to succesful second careers in hockey. Quite amazing actually. A couple of NHL GM's, NHL scouts/front office, a few NHL/AHL assistant/head coaches, an agent and a couple broadcasters.

John Gruden
Brett Harkins
Peter Laviolette
Davis Payne
Dean Chynoweth
Tim Sweeney
Cam Stewart
Kevin Sawyer
Bill Armstrong
Mitch Lamoreaux
John Lilley

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Ehlers would have got them another goal every 8 games
Yeah, I found that the biggest thing that the first unit lacked this season was a guy that could get the puck and skate one or two complete laps around the offensive zone

But seriously, I think it just has to do with the handedness of players. Not sure where you'd put another lefty out there with the first unit except maybe the bumper, and net-front play isn't Ehler's forte

If you're running it through schief on the left half wall, then the guy down low needs to be a righty

• Haha
Reactions: WolfHouse

Whileee

May 29, 2010
While I can appreciate guys like Reynolds and Wiebe putting themselves out there on different platforms, I find they are in the weeds most of the time. I don't find value in their analysis
I think that Ken Wiebe is quite "plugged in" and has some good insights into the Jets, etc.

I find Sean Reynolds to be really "off" with a lot of his takes, and his delivery is really hard to listen to. He talks non-stop with his own takes on things, leaving almost no room for dialogue. Whenever there's any disagreement, he kind of goes into bonkers mode. I like listening to Ken Wiebe and reading his material (a big improvement at the WFP), but just can't listen to Reynolds anymore.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think that Ken Wiebe is quite "plugged in" and has some good insights into the Jets, etc.

I find Sean Reynolds to be really "off" with a lot of his takes, and his delivery is really hard to listen to. He talks non-stop with his own takes on things, leaving almost no room for dialogue. Whenever there's any disagreement, he kind of goes into bonkers mode. I like listening to Ken Wiebe and reading his material (a big improvement at the WFP), but just can't listen to Reynolds anymore.
Ken Wie be is the most Middle of the road Mennonite you can find... yes hes plugged in but he's a company man - at least Reynolds will express an actual opinion

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Davis Payne's PP% with the Senators was 18.7% through 5 seasons with the Senators, good for
14.2% (31st, 19-20),
15.5% (26th 20-21),
19.3% (20th, 21-22),
23.5% (8th, 22-23),
18% (23rd, 23-24).

PP% (Rank, season)

24th leaguewide over that timespan, the Jets PP for comparison ranks 16th in those 5 seasons.
Ah, I was just looking at the last 3 years combined and I guess that one good season in the middle made everything look better than it was.

5v4 CF/60GF/60xGF/60SCF/60%
2019-2093.51 (18)4.75 (30)6.44 (17)49.21 (16)14.2 (31)
2020-2180.98 (27)4.93 (28)5.96 (20)50.13 (10)15.5 (26)
2021-2294.97 (18)6.86 (19)7.51 (10)89.05 (6)19.3 (20)
2022-23107.19 (8)8.39 (6)9.24 (4)66.24 (5)23.5 (8)
2023-24103.14 (18)6.27 (24)7.58 (17)58.88 (15)18.0 (23)
Average:95.966.247.3562.7018.1

The Sens first two seasons under Payne were mostly awful on the powerplay - but it looks worse than it was because of terrible finishing. Ottawa under-scored their expected goals by quite a bit. Lots of teams do that on the power play. Could be a lack of finishing talent, or just bad luck.

They were pretty consistently in the top half of the NHL for creating scoring chances. The last three years in particular have been decent in terms of chances and xGs.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Seems like Payne puts a premium of winning the 50/50 battles and getting the puck off of the boards quick. I think it would be interesting to have Iaffalo in the PP1 bumper spot. Aggessive puck retrieval, quick feet, and positionally sound. He does have somewhat of a scoring touch but as long as he can defect or at least put the puck on net guys like Vilardi, Chef, and KC can hunt for a rebound

Reactions: Gm0ney

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
He is in charge of bringing the coffee and donuts to the meetings
Krispy Kremes are back on the menu, boys!

m6d68J.gif

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Looking at the Hockeyviz coaching impact charts, and Davis Payne was a strong head coach, and he was also a very bad head coach the next season. Illustrates how difficult it is to fully evaluate a coach's impact when teams are in flux and not very talented...

1718745029317.png
1718745065183.png

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
This is always the road to success with the Jets.
Once they stop being aggressive they stop being effective.
I’m optimistic.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad