Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Congrats Scotty. Very exciting news. Atta boy Chevy.

yawn.gif

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The environment is just so… mundane.

I go to 3-4 games a year, I can’t say it’s been remotely close to what was before Covid. The team does well but the product… So bland. At least a different coach would have injected something new.

They keep sticking with the status quo unless basically forced otherwise. I’ll hold out to see what Arniel does, but the initial reaction is frustration.
If there is one thing they do right in Toronto, it's creating a buzz. Personally I don't care for that sort of approach, but it works!

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I would have been surprised if they hired anyone else -
Not sure he is the guy that takes them to the next level - and if I was to be honest, I really don't think he is.
But he's a safe bet for the Jets - he's part of the family and they won't need to worry about a coach that rocks the boat too much.

More than anything, it tells me the org is happy (or content) with how things are right now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’m neutral on this. For now.
But I am concerned that it will be more difficult for Arniel to clean house than it would have been for someone from outside the organization.
This is a good point, but this is where Chevy needs to empower his new head coach. Give him the message to pick the staff you want and I will deliver the players to take the next step.

CaptainUgly

Bronx Bombers
Apr 22, 2018
Sorry but this is an ignorant take.

Arniel coached a season and a half, 15 years ago, with his second chance to coach being last season covering for Bones.

He coached a horrendous roster with the Blue Jackets, a roster no coach would be able to win with. So judging him off that is dumb.

He led the Moose to a finals and was coach of the year that season, which is not jack sh#t. He has been a solid assistant coach with the Rangers, Caps, Canuck and with us.

He is respected by the players, shown to be a good coach for us when he covered for Bones and deserves his second full time coaching gig in the NHL after 15 years of being a solid assistant.

He has always been employed, assisting some great coaches throughout his career. I for one am excited to see how Arniel has grown since his last head coaching stint.

What would suck is Arniel leaves and take the reigns with another team and becomes a great full time coach. Many great coaches failed in their first stints.

The Calder Cup Final was in 2008....how many NHLers are still in the league form 2008? Lol

He's got a losing record as a head coach in the NHL. His assistant coach accolades don't take away from the fact he has been an awful head coach.

There is a reason CBJ fans are laughing at us.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I suppose we ALL knew this was coming.
I wish Scott success, if he doesn’t keep push this team beyond its potential this will come back to haunt Chipman and Cheveldayoff.
Putting up 100+ points then wilting like a whiskey Peter in round 1 won’t cut it

Yogi141

Feb 24, 2018
I would have been surprised if they hired anyone else -
Not sure he is the guy that takes them to the next level - and if I was to be honest, I really don't think he is.
But he's a safe bet for the Jets - he's part of the family and they won't need to worry about a coach that rocks the boat too much.

More than anything, it tells me the org is happy (or content) with how things are right now.
Chipman has owned the Moose since 1996 and never won an AHL Championship intuit time. He only got to the finals once. Winning is not a high priority. I am thinking he is the new Eugene Melnyk.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We did it, folks! We predicted the future!

Next HFJets project is to find out what the winning lotto numbers are and to figure out if I ever properly learn how to make ravioli from scratch
Shouldn’t be a problem in Winnipeg. It’s a perogy without potato as a filling.

• Haha
Reactions: roccerfeller

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
How many of the naysayers here could articulate why Arniel is going to be a bad coach (before he starts even) and then compare that to your preferred hire and explain exactly what they would do better? Please go into some detail.
Honestly this is exactly what Cheveldayoff needs to address for the naysayers.
He should layout the entire decision making process to the fans.
Explain to us fans why Arniel will succeed where Maurice and Bowness did not.
Tell us why this team cannot find another level in the playoffs.
Explain why a perennial Vezina caliber goalie carries the team TO the playoffs but is not supported or isn’t up to the standard then.
THAT is the GM’s job in a nut shell.
Announcement means nothing on its own.
Not a word salad answer but an answer with real conviction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad