Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
Ughhhhh Chipman and his loyalty first and foremost…..Really wanted Gallant. Arniel and ANY former Jets/Moose ties were the last thing I wanted. I guess this means they’re keeping useless Lauer around too. He is the new version of useless Huddy who sticks around like a bad STD

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
I would have thought Jets would have extended the hiring smoke show until after the play-offs.
This won’t help ticket sales

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I would have thought Jets would have extended the hiring smoke show until after the play-offs.
This won’t help ticket sales

The environment is just so… mundane.

I go to 3-4 games a year, I can’t say it’s been remotely close to what was before Covid. The team does well but the product… So bland. At least a different coach would have injected something new.

They keep sticking with the status quo unless basically forced otherwise. I’ll hold out to see what Arniel does, but the initial reaction is frustration.

Reactions: Cypruss

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Opened the thread to bask in the negativity towards this decision and wasn't disappointed

Unlike most of all y'all, I'm going to reserve judgement on this until next season when he gets his systems implemented and the team gets used to playing it. I'm thinking at least 20 games

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
How does this system not work? We finished 4th overall in the entire NHL . Maybe our players shouldn't fold like cheap suits once the playoffs start and our Vezina goalie plays like a Vezina goalie.
I know Helly gets blamed but seriously Avs average 37 shots per game against him meanwhile the Avs couldn't even average 26 shots per game on the Stars.
Avs would probably still be playing now if they could get 37 shots on net every game against Dallas.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
61 year old coach who has won jack shit in the NHL... but hey for an 11 game stretch he went 9-2....
Sorry but this is an ignorant take.

Arniel coached a season and a half, 15 years ago, with his second chance to coach being last season covering for Bones.

He coached a horrendous roster with the Blue Jackets, a roster no coach would be able to win with. So judging him off that is dumb.

He led the Moose to a finals and was coach of the year that season, which is not jack sh#t. He has been a solid assistant coach with the Rangers, Caps, Canuck and with us.

He is respected by the players, shown to be a good coach for us when he covered for Bones and deserves his second full time coaching gig in the NHL after 15 years of being a solid assistant.

He has always been employed, assisting some great coaches throughout his career. I for one am excited to see how Arniel has grown since his last head coaching stint.

What would suck is Arniel leaves and take the reigns with another team and becomes a great full time coach. Many great coaches failed in their first stints.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sorry but this is an ignorant take.

Arniel coached a season and a half, 15 years ago, with his second chance to coach being last season covering for Bones.

He coached a horrendous roster with the Blue Jackets, a roster no coach would be able to win with. So judging him off that is dumb.

He led the Moose to a finals and was coach of the year that season, which is not jack sh#t. He has been a solid assistant coach with the Rangers, Caps, Canuck and with us.

He is respected by the players, shown to be a good coach for us when he covered for Bones and deserves his second full time coaching gig in the NHL after 15 years of being a solid assistant.

He has always been employed, assisting some great coaches throughout his career. I for one am excited to see how Arniel has grown since his last head coaching stint.

What would suck is Arniel leaves and take the reigns with another team and becomes a great full time coach. Many great coaches failed in their first stints.
This is a good post and brings a nice counter perspective to the discussion. But I will add if it is really Arniel's big opportunity he needs to be given the freedom to select his own assistant couching staff. I'm hoping to hear of some current assistant coach firings next week, or for God's sakes at least Lauer's firing.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Shocked I am… surprised even….hell, who the f*** am I kidding…the whole known universe knew the Jets were making Arniel the head coach.

Whatever…it doesn’t really matter because it’s the collective players that suck, not the coach. Scotty Bowman couldn’t get this team past the first round.

We need a contest… what current Moose player becomes the Jets head coach in 7 years after Arniel quits?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad