Scotiabank Arena vs. Maple Leaf Gardens

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Scotiabank Arena is the coolest of all the "newer" arenas, mainly due to the cool seat colors and vintage b/w banners in the rafters. However, the Gardens was classic, historic and iconic. For those who have been to both--which do you prefer--and what do you like best about each one?

I've been to both a few times and nothing compares to the Gardens--only the old Forum in Montreal. I loved the bright ice in the Gardens, the small Leaf at center ice, the bright yellow walls, colored seats and, of course the brick exterior.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Only got to 1 game there. Standing room...!

(It was actually Game 10 of our 10-game win-streak to begin the 93/94 season...)

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Only got to 1 game there. Standing room...!

The first time I was at the Gardens was in January, 1994 for 2 games and it was one of the greatest hockey experiences I've ever had in my life. I remember it was snowing, very cold, but after a few beers at early dinner I felt great--so the walk to the Gardens was fabulous. The Leafs won both games--defeating the Senators and the Canucks.

Here are the box scores from the games...

Thursday, Jan., 6th, 1994 vs. Ottawa Senators

Saturday, Jan., 8th, 1994 vs. Vancouver Canucks

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Hands down the ol Gardens is my favorite arena ever. Not even close.
The way it shook when the crowd was going nutz is unmatched.

I can still hear the roar of Wendal Wendal so loud you could actually feel the entire building shake to its very core. Like an earthquake.

Had family tickets at the Gardens for decades. Cannot fathom how many games i went to.
I waa lucky enough to go the last game at MLG and the first at ACC. Yes it was nicer and modern... but it was missing something.

It wasn't Mean.
The Gardens used to be an intimidating place to play. No suits front and center. Just ravenous fans ready to blow the roof off

The Gardens was hockey at its essence.
The ACC doesn't even matter to me
Now its the SBC

About as much thought and taste in that name as a McDonald's burger

Last edited:

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Loved the Gardens. Only went to two games myself but there was just a total different feel. It really felt like a hockey game, lots of organ

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hands down the ol Gardens is my favorite arena ever. Not even close.
The way it shook when the crowd was going nutz is unmatched.

I can still hear the roar of Wendal Wendal so loud you could actually feel the entire building shake to its very core. Like an earthquake.

Had family tickets at the Gardens for decades. Cannot fathom how many games i went to.
I waa lucky enough to go the last game at MLG and the first at ACC. Yes it was nicer and modern... but it was missing something.

It wasn't Mean.
The Gardens used to be an intimidating place to play. No suits front and center. Just ravenous fans ready to blow the roof off

The Gardens was hockey at its essence.
The ACC doesn't even matter to me
Now its the SBC

About as much thought and taste in that name as a McDonald's burger

Awesome memories.

Yes, I remember the roar of the crowd in 94 as well. When they touched the puck and started a rush, or a big hit, or an Andreychuk shot that just missed the top corner--the "oohs" and "aahs" had a "heavy" sound to them, if that makes sense? The fans really loved that Leafs team--Wendel, Dougie, Andreychuk, The Cat--they were exciting. Even the game against Ottawa was exciting, although they were still a new team and weren't great.

I also couldn't get over how bright white the ice was. It was like glass--beautiful. The concourse was grungy and loaded with character and charm--like you said--hockey at its essence.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Always been kinda a shame to me that really there will never be buildings that get revered in modern times like the ones from past generations. It is just a constant race to build the new one after your old building doesn't have enough luxury boxes anymore in it's 30th year in use.

I get you, but I vote with modern.

I love historical buildings and I loved Maple Leafs Gardens , but I’m all for building new modern facilities. The fan experience is enhanced when modern technology is used. For example, TD Ballpark in Dunedin is so much better than the old dated stadium even though I loved that old place, but they were able to keep the perfect location and give us many more amenities.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
All I need to know - is there toilet paper available for sale on the shelves in the Loblaws at the old Gardens?

Reactions: lebdafor norris

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
SBA has zero character. It's like a McDonald's of sports arenas. Same as every other arena.

Yes, many of the new arenas are just big, cookie-cuter arenas that offer nothing special except overpriced beers and TV screens telling you when to cheer. But I've been to 9 of them and SBA and the Bell Centre are definitely the best of the bunch. What I really like about the SBA--and it might sound odd--are the different color seats. It's almost a throwback, or a nod, to Maple Leaf Gardens in a way. It at least makes the building look neater, aesthetically.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The Gardens had more "atmosphere" about it. There was something about coming off the subway, walking down the street, seeing the marquee, and soaking in the history as you made your way to your seat.

SBA just sort of feels like an extension of Union Station with more food kiosks.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The buzz and atmosphere around MLG is incomparable to the current stadium. Forgotten is how small it was. A man of average height's knees were perilously close to the heads of the patrons in the next row. There were no great concourses. It wasn't a mall food court, it was a place with some B&W pics on the wall of players from the distant past where you came to see a hockey game. You watched a hockey game there. If the game was boring, the crowd got quiet. If the game was listless, the crowd got restless. If the game got exciting, there was genuine crowd reaction and buzz.

Men's washroom was a large trough in the center of the room. The Coke was flat and warm because they were pre-filled then Saran wrapped. There really wasn't a bad seat for line of sight and distance. The neighbourhood was seedy. The people hanging outside the place were even seedier. The thing was built in the height of the Depression with high quality materials in what was a poor neighbourhood at the time.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Inside the Palace: Maple Leaf Gardens in 1990

CBC reporter Allen Abel tours of one of hockey's most venerated buildings after the death of owner Harold Ballard.

Reactions: Eat The Rich

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Lotta things to like about ole MLG. First for me, if you sat low enough or in the end blues you actually had a shot at getting a puck. I understand the reasoning for the netting but still don't have to like it. You could sit close to and even walk behind the players benches. I once witnessed Bob Gassoff climbing the stairs behind the visiting bench to get to a heckler. It was so intimate and for us old-timers we could see many of the days stars at the games, Al Waxman, Tommy Hunter, Larry D Mann, Johnny Wayne, even a young Mike Myers and they were all very approachable. It was, by far, the greatest sporting venue I have ever been at and I've been to a lot.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
End blues at the gardens were my favorite for Leaf games. Saw Domi sucker Samuelson from there. Rush concerts at the gardens are some of my favorite memories. So loud it hurt for days . Of the new style arenas I have been to, I like Columbus the best.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I was at game 7 in 93 vs the kings. The place was electric. It was unreal. There's no atmosphere to the sbc. The gardens was classic. Smaller seats but who cares cause the place reeked of history and passion.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
I can imagine the atmosphere in the garden was much better and brought the city together more. Pre social media and all

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The neighbourhood was seedy. The people hanging outside the place were even seedier.

Let me ask you about that. When I visited in 94, the neighborhood by the Gardens seemed very "lively." I remember going to the games--walking to them from a good distance--and never feeling out of place. Then again, there were tons of people walking in unison to the game--and we also spent some time at a nearby bar.

However, when I went back in 2008 or so, we went to the "Gardens" to look at the exterior. Right across the street there was a sports bar--so we spent a few hours there. It was literally across the street--you could look out the window and see the Gardens. The brick exterior was still up perfectly--it wasn't like the Montreal Forum--completely changed. The thing I noticed was that the bar was very seedy! The neighborhood was too. I remember walking out through an area with boards and scaffolding and there were very seedy people in there.

I don't remember it being like that at all in 94--but when I went back I was shocked--definitely not an area to hangout.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I think Scotiabank Arena is the coolest of all the "newer" arenas, mainly due to the cool seat colors and vintage b/w banners in the rafters. However, the Gardens was classic, historic and iconic. For those who have been to both--which do you prefer--and what do you like best about each one?

I've been to both a few times and nothing compares to the Gardens--only the old Forum in Montreal. I loved the bright ice in the Gardens, the small Leaf at center ice, the bright yellow walls, colored seats and, of course the brick exterior.
I've only been in MLG twice and SBA 1 time.

'93 Only got to walk into the main hallway back then, this was about mid training camp sometime and the girl at the desk wouldnt let my Dad and I inside but could watch through a door window. Even then as an 11 year old it was a cool moment for me and became a Leafs fan that day. I then went back about 2011/12 when it was part of a grocery store. It was a really awkward feeling going in there almost 20 years later and thinking where this team once skated was now a grocery store.

The one time I was at SBA was around 2012 when they did tours of SBA (not sure if they still do tours) It was during a Leafs game day so there was only certain spots we were allowed to go into. I hope they still do tours i'd like to do one again on a non event day. It was cool going into the Foster Hewitt and checking out the luxury suites still didnt have that MLG feel to it and never will.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Been to both rinks 100's of times.
Gardens had the historic aura to it but that was about it.
Never been a fan of the ACC . They rushed the build when the Leafs bought the Raptors and as a result there are many things that seem poorly thought out.
Seems typical of ownership(whoever it might be). No matter how they try, they always seem to get it wrong.

Look forward to the next new building. Hopefully they get that one right.

Reactions: the squared circle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad