WC: Scoring leaders so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Granlund has been out of his groove since that missed penalty shot in the WJC. But don't worry he'll bounce back eventually.

I wouldn't agree with the poster that stated that the Finns have a "boatload" of other players that aren't too far behind Granlund though. Granlund is in a league of his own atm.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
People are basing their opinions on Granlund based on one or two games, both in which the whole team played very badly and Granlund's line was brutal. Sure, he hasn't played very well but you have to look at the big picture.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Granlund has been out of his groove since that missed penalty shot in the WJC. But don't worry he'll bounce back eventually.

I wouldn't agree with the poster that stated that the Finns have a "boatload" of other players that aren't too far behind Granlund though. Granlund is in a league of his own atm.

I think right now, MG and Vatanen are in their own league. After that Armia, MaG, Barkov etc.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Granlund >>>>>>>>>>> Vatanen >>>> Armia, Barkov > Granlund Jr >>>>>> The rest

For example, if Granlund was swedish he would be top 3 of the players born in the 90s. Vatanen wouldn't even crack top 10.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009

For example, if Granlund was swedish he would be top 3 of the players born in the 90s. Vatanen wouldn't even crack top 10.

And why is this?

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Why is what?

The ranking I made is based on the accomplishments and potential of each player and I think that Granlund (in both aspects) is way superior Vatanen.

If your referring to the statement about swedes I can name these defensmen born in the 90s which I think are better than Vatanen:

Karlsson, OEL, Larsson, Rundblad, Hedman, Brodin, Erixon, Klefbom. And that is just defensemen.

But this is not the time and place for this discussion, my point was that Granlund is the best finish prospect BY FAR and that he will bounce back from this slump.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Why is what?

The ranking I made is based on the accomplishments and potential of each player and I think that Granlund (in both aspects) is way superior Vatanen.

If your referring to the statement about swedes I can name these defensmen born in the 90s which I think are better than Vatanen:

Karlsson, OEL, Larsson, Rundblad, Hedman, Brodin, Erixon, Klefbom. And that is just defensemen.

But this is not the time and place for this discussion, my point was that Granlund is the best finish prospect BY FAR and that he will bounce back from this slump.

Granlund isn't in his own league though. Vatanen is just as good stick handler, has a better shot and is a much better skater. The only problem for Vatanen is that he plays D and is 179cm - a big problem in modern NHL. Not that Granlund will have it much easier since he is small too and doesn't have the skating ability of Vatanen.

Just to put some additional perspective, if Vatanen wasn't injured he would be in the WHC this year.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Granlund isn't in his own league though. Vatanen is just as good stick handler, has a better shot and is a much better skater. The only problem for Vatanen is that he plays D and is 179cm - a big problem in modern NHL. Not that Granlund will have it much easier since he is small too and doesn't have the skating ability of Vatanen.

Just to put some additional perspective, if Vatanen wasn't injured he would be in the WHC this year.

I allways wondered how did skillfull guy like Vatanen end up playing D.. When I were kid, the worser players were put to play D and the worst was the goalie.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Is Faulk doing enough to get real consideration for 2014? I think we are very lucky to have stolen him in the 2nd Round a few years back...
If guys like Faulk and Patches aren't getting serious consideration for spots on the Sochi team, then USA Hockey needs to start paying attention.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Why is what?

This again is OT but I would say that based on somewhat limited viewings, right now Vatanen is a better player than Rundblad, Brodin, Erixon or Klefbom. Then again judging by potential you are probably right about all of the above you listed.

This because I've never seen anyone dominate the SM-liiga from a defenseman position like Vatanen has. Simply he's a very good pro player. Also judging by this past SM-liiga season it would be a tough choice to say which of Vatanen and Granlund was the better player, though again, Granlund has the higher potential because it's easier to become a top NHL forward at 5'10 than it is to become an NHL defenseman at 5'10.

SkilledViking

May 12, 2012
Oslo
Patrick Thoresen is now #1.

Numero Uno.

Thoresen continues to impress! Today in Norways 6-2 win against Danmark. He ended up with 1 goal and 3 assist for a total of 4 points. He also has 10 (!) points in his last two games :handclap:

Bringing him up to a total of 16 points (6 G 10 A) in 7 games:naughty:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
For Team Canada Tavares & Skinner have been dynamic and incredibly fun to watch. I loved them with Sharp before that line was split up. John Tavares is slowly becoming (in my eyes) one of the most complete players in the world. He does everything well.

Tavares is a hidden gem in hockey. Nobody watches this guy play except for Isles fans. There aren't many Isles fans left, there's zero media that follows the team and they get no presence in Canada except the odd Saturday night game.

Having seen almost all his games in the NHL, and many in junior, this guy is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT player than he was even a year ago. He has improved his skating tremendously and has gotten his man-strength at the same time. This has given him a fraction more time and space that allows his hockey sense to create offense out of nothing.

Nice to see the hockey world starting to appreciate this guy. He's not the flashiest but he's among the most effective players in the world.

Would love to see Tavares-Stamkos-Crosby (as others have said) in the Olympics - maybe one day soon.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere

Shows that you have very little clue about Finland's prospects, where is Pulkkinen in your little list?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Duncan Keith is first in assists and third in points. That's pretty impressive for a defenseman.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Even so, he's having quite an impressive tournament - as is the entire Norwegian squad.

Oh no I'm not discrediting him as a player at all. Without that game he still has very respectable points. It's just inflated à la Forsberg's WJC when he had 10 points vs Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad