Confirmed with Link: Schmid and Holtz traded to VGK for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd rounder

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The only goal I've found thus far that is not on the rush.

Like some of the deke's in the other goals if this something he can do consistently, there could indeed be some untapped potential.

Reactions: JimEIV

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Like some of the deke's in the other goals if this something he can do consistently, there could indeed be some untapped potential.

He hasn't played a ton, so it's hard to say what his typical shooting percentage is. 2 years ago he shot 17%, last year he shot only 7%. His shot rate increased slightly last year which may account for some of that, but wouldn't surprise me if his typical shooting percentage was better than 7 (though maybe not as high as 17) .

Wouldn't surprise me if he's a 10-12 goal guy typically, though I don't think we'll see him get close to 20 assists normally. He played a lot with Wild Bill last year, not your typical bottom 6 guy. Stick him with guys like Lazar & Bastian, he's probably only going to get 10 assists or something.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

6888980-gabe-kotter.jpg

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Not much of a highlight reel, but maybe has some skill. Also looks like he can play his off wing.

Maybe that shootout goal is what sold Fitz. I don't ever want to see Hughes or Bratt in the shootout again unless they get their heads in the game and recognize they can both pull off any Datsyukian, Forsbergian goal they wanted.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
See I thought the goalie market was super tight and that's why we paid a 1st + Bahl for Markstrom.

Maybe we could have gone after Thompson?

Knights fan coming in saying that i think the Devils made the right choice in Markstrom. Devils need goaltending and Markstrom can provide that.

Thompson is still too much of a question mark imo after watching him this season and last. I had high hopes for him, but something changed after his groin injury last season. There were times he struggled mightly this season as well. His weakness got exposed in the playoffs despite putting up a .921 save percentage.

On Cotter, hopefully he does well for you guys. Was this highlight posted in this thread yet?

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The biggest problem with Thompson is that he's an injury case. If we had picked him up then we're guaranteeing one of the kids will be called up for NHL duty. Thompson gets injured often the last two years, which are the only 2 years he's spent full time in the NHL.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Who has that amazing Tedenby gif, the one where he kind of limbos under someone's arm and then is really happy to see someone. Can't describe it any more precisely :laugh:
this was definitely in my photobucket account that I paid $10 to try and reactivate so I could download anything I wanted to save and then when I logged in, everything was already deleted.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Knights fan coming in saying that i think the Devils made the right choice in Markstrom. Devils need goaltending and Markstrom can provide that.

Thompson is still too much of a question mark imo after watching him this season and last. I had high hopes for him, but something changed after his groin injury last season. There were times he struggled mightly this season as well. His weakness got exposed in the playoffs despite putting up a .921 save percentage.

On Cotter, hopefully he does well for you guys. Was this highlight posted in this thread yet?

Just out of curiosity, you've been on the boards for over 10 years - what team did you support before the Knights?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
After reading this entire thread I'll chime in.

We liked Holtz in Utica for the same reason most Devils' fans did. He could shoot the puck and score goals. As far as the rest of his game, it was awful. We encouraged NJ to give him time to develop the rest of his game. It appeared Lindy put a roadblock on that and Green didn't help one iota.

He didn't play any differently when he did play. You can't tell me he didn't get a shitload of time in the video room with coaches and on the ice tutoring at practice after practice both in Utica and NJ. It appears he was bullheaded and thought bulging the twines was all he needed to do.

After Fitz's press conference when he chewed Holtz a new ass and laid him out in lavender, you knew if you could read black and white, that he was gone. The fact he couldn't fit in previous deals made it clear he had little value. He was traded for Cotter who does fill a role that he can play.

Let's see what happens to Holtz after preseason. Does he actually fit into that roster? If not he gets sent down. Is his value as a goal scorer for the farm team?

Akira Schmid has been the most inconsistent keeper I have witnessed up close and personal since he arrived in Utica his 1st season in NA. The guy would stand on his head and win a game for the Comets. His next game would be okay and maybe win or not. He played for a team that could outscore the mistakes he made so it wasn't a noticeable flaw. Come playoff time we saw those flaws clear as day. The biggest flaw is the great save followed by a wrist shot form the point, half boards ,or top of the circle with no traffic in front of it and he would simply sit there on his knees while the puck went over his shoulder or past his trapper. He was a streaky goalie who would be great for 3 or 4 and then suck the bag for the next 2 or 3.

In NJ he gave up the same weak ones as well. He had a short streak of games with NJ that brought him fame because it was against NJ's hated rival Rangers and even more amazing it was during the playoffs.

The next season he was back to the old up and down Schmid. He was sent down to Utica and played poorly, went back up and had a couple good nights, but eventually ended up back in Utica and was not good again. At the end of the season Daws had been better than him in NJ and both Daws and Poulter were better in Utica. The stats backed up the eyes.

During this off season when it was obvious that Fitz was shopping for a keeper, I brought up the fact that the Comets had 3 goalies on NHL contracts ticketed for Utica. You just can't have that. It's not good for any one of those guys. I said I thought Schmid would be a goalie going back in a trade for Fitz's choice. He got Markstrom, had Allen, and still had the 3 goalies. I became even more convinced at that point that Schmid would be gone. This trade was Schmid to Las Vegas for a 3rd round pick. That's what AHL/callup NHL goalies get in trades.

I was not the least bit surprised by this trade, though I didn't picture it to be in the same deal. Holtz a 3rd/4th line forward with a shot and big flaws for a fast, big, physical 3rd/4th line Center/LW with a scoring touch when the game provides an opportunity for it to show. 1 guy who still hasn't reached his ceiling, but appears to closer to the floor traded for a guy who has reached a bottom 6 ceiling he is very capable of living up to that the Devils need.

There is a lot more time in this off season and Fitz is not going to stop trying to fill in his apparent needs. I get the feeling Pesce and Dillon or facsimiles will be on the roster tomorrow. The UFA forwards to follow. If not all UFAs, he may possibly make a deal(s) along with those draft spots he picked up.

Last edited:

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
After reading this entire thread I'll chime in.

We liked Holtz in Utica for the same reason most Devils' fans did. He could shoot the puck and score goals. As far as the rest of his game, it was awful. We encouraged NJ to give him time to develop the rest of his game. It appeared Lindy put a roadblock on that and Green didn't help one iota.

He didn't play any differently when he did play. You can't tell me he didn't get a shitload of time in the video room with coaches and on the ice tutoring at practice after practice both in Utica and NJ. It appears he was bullheaded and thought bulging the twines was all he needed to do.

After Fitz's press conference when he chewed Holtz a new ass and laid him out in lavender, you knew if you could read black and white, that he was gone. The fact he couldn't fit in previous deals made it clear he had little value. He was traded for Cotter who does fill a role that he can play.

Akira Schmid has been the most inconsistent keeper I have witnessed up close and personal since he arrived in Utica his 1st season in NA. The guy would stand on his head and win a game for the Comets. His next game would be okay and maybe win or not. He played for a team that could outscore the mistakes he made so it wasn't a noticeable flaw. Come playoff time we saw those flaws clear as day. The biggest flaw is the great save followed by a wrist shot form the point, half boards ,or top of the circle with no traffic in front of it and he would simply sit there on his knees while the puck went over his shoulder or past his trapper. He was a streaky goalie who would be great for 3 or 4 and then suck the bag for the next 2 or 3.

In NJ he gave up the same weak ones as well. He had a short streak of games with NJ that brought him fame because it was against NJ's hated rival Rangers and even more amazing it was during the playoffs.

The next season he was back to the old up and down Schmid. He was sent down to Utica and played poorly, went back up and had a couple good nights, but eventually ended up back in Utica and was not good again. At the end of the season Daws had been better than him in NJ and both Daws and Poulter were better in Utica. The stats backed up the eyes.

During this off season when it was obvious that Fitz was shopping for a keeper, I brought up the fact that the Comets had 3 goalies on NHL contracts ticketed for Utica. You just can't have that. It's not good for any one of those guys. I said I thought Schmid would be a goalie going back in a trade for Fitz's choice. He got Markstrom, had Allen, and still had the 3 goalies. I became even more convinced at that point that Schmid would be gone. This trade was Schmid to Las Vegas for a 3rd round pick. That's what AHL/callup NHL goalies get in trades.

I was not the least bit surprised by this trade, though I didn't picture it to be in the same deal. Holtz a 3rd/4th line forward with a shot and big flaws for a fast, big, physical 3rd/4th line Center/LW with a scoring touch when the game provides an opportunity for it to show. 1 guy who still hasn't reached his ceiling, but appears to closer to the floor traded for a guy who has reached a bottom 6 ceiling he is very capable of living up to that the Devils need.

There is a lot more time in this off season and Fitz is not going to stop trying to fill in his apparent needs. I get the feeling Pesce and Dillon or facsimiles will be on the roster tomorrow. The UFA forwards to follow. If not all UFAs, he may possibly make a deal(s) along with those draft spots he picked up.
Thanks for the insight. Great post!

Reactions: Comparison Ford

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Holtz is a product of the Covid era drafts. He is not a bad dude, but his wasn’t given the best chance. It was mostly because of Mercer, but Mercer deserved it. Holtz’s personality feels a bit Nonchalant or Lackadaisical.

If we analyze the 2020 draft, the majority of the top 10 players struggled. Rossi, Laf, Byfield, and Perf finally broke out this year.

The two best players from the top 10 are Raymond and Stutzle. The worst two…the goal scores Quinn and Holtz. I think the metric for a goal scoring prospect is off. The world crapped on Hughes’ shot and he almost scored 50 goals.

Raymond was the passer in the 2020 draft and Holtz was the cannon but Raymond is a 30 goal scorer in the NHL, not Holtz. There is only 1 Ovy, but teams will continue to chase those players in the draft.

The Devils have struggled to put together a decent 3rd line for years and the forth line got nuked because of a bass hole. The Devils get a young, more physical, roll player, that has some scoring upside. Can’t complain.
Quinn is great, he had two surgeries derail a breakout 2023-24 season.

NJ needs more of that. Even better if Cotter purposely throws Tkachuck into the ice head first

Prototypical My3Sons post here.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad