Series Talk: SCFs Discussion - 2024 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
FWIW Bob didn't even finish top three in the Conn Smythe voting this year. Barkov was second and Forsling third.

Makes sense. I had Barkov and Forsling as our top two performers at the end of the playoffs. The win was more by committee of the team than one stand out player. And if the player on the other team has a stand out season by breaking records. And the series goes to game 7, it makes perfect sense why he won the conn smythe. The award is for the player deemed most valuable player in the playoffs. That was McDavid this season. And he can have it. Because we have the cup which is way more important.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
So even you admit he was outperformed by 2 goalies. :laugh:

5 breakaways is more than a bad stretch. People were calling for Stolarz to start game 6...

This thought that Bob was robbed of a Smythe is hilarious. If anyone on the Panthers was robbed, it was Barkov.

McDavid tore up these playoffs. His points were fairly well distributed throughout each round. I mean if you think Bob should have won the smythe, you might as just give it to the winning goaltender each year :laugh:

I mean, how do you not expect those two goalies to outperform Bob when we were the opposite team? You know more than that. You watched the games. We dominated those games so obviously they faced the higher quality.

Again, all I said was Bob was punished for 3 games when EVERYONE was saying he was the favorite entering the final round

Are you telling me the 4 games Bob won in the final he wasnt the best player?

Barkov became the favorite after the 3 game bad stretch

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Bob was the favorite for us until the bad stretch in the Final

Voting happens midway through game 7

By odds I'm assuming. I don't think he was in the voters mind, he had a good game 7 so I don't think they would've changed their votes if that was the case. It's a flawed system anyway and I could not care less who gets it.

Reactions: Gentle Man

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think it's all relative. The Panthers needed Bob to be very good to win against Boston, New York, and Edmonton. We weren't a high-scoring team after the first round. Bob was exceptional for at least four games against all of those teams. In a best of seven series, that is all you can ask for, and all you can really want to get.

He was the best player on the ice in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, when the Panthers were reeling and desperately needed him to come up big and save them.

I'd have said Barkov was the team's MVP after game 3, but timing is everything. Bob was the deciding factor -- the best guy on the ice -- in the biggest game in any of these players' lives. In what people have been saying was the biggest, most important, and most pressure-packed game in decades.

Timing is everything. I don't give a flying f*** how many secondary assists Connor McDavid put up on a struggling Kings team, one that even Kings fans agree was a jobber matchup. I don't care how many points he scored when Edmonton was up 4-1 in that game 4 meltdown.

I know who the real MVP of that Finals series was.

He was? It looked like a great defensive effort by a 5 man unit in game 7. Hell, I recall Bob having to make just one save on the PK. Even when one of our players didn't have a stick. And he let in that awful breakaway goal. I credit it more to the team as a unit defending than specifically on Bob.

Yeah, the real MVP of that finals series was not Bob. He was very middling.

And I already stated that McDavid's points were distributed fairly evenly throughout each round. So this feasting on the a weak Kings team is off base.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I mean, how do you not expect those two goalies to outperform Bob when we were the opposite team? You know more than that. You watched the games. We dominated those games so obviously they faced the higher quality.

Again, all I said was Bob was punished for 3 games when EVERYONE was saying he was the favorite entering the final round

Are you telling me the 4 games Bob won in the final he wasnt the best player? Stop

It's okay, it's a difference of opinion. I get where here's coming from, I just can't agree with him! :D

I just don't put a lot of stock in aggregate point totals in situations like this. To me, it's like bragging about how great the Rangers stars were in the playoffs because they got to beat the shit out of the helpless Capitals.

McDavid was a no show in four Finals games and only showed up after his team was romping in two of them. Edmonton loves Shania Twain, and I think there's a song about that or something.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Are you telling me the 4 games Bob won in the final he wasnt the best player?

I had Barkov, Forsling, and Bob as my top 3 coming into the final series. And I am telling you Bob was not the best player in the games we won in the final series. He was the best player in the 1st game. That's it. Barkov was the best Panther player in this series. Well, maybe Erod haha.

Not everyone was saying he was the favourite. I had Barkov. It was fairly well split. Barkov performed well in the final series. Bob, not really apart from game 1. So Barkov overtakes Bob when taking into account all 4 series.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
By odds I'm assuming. I don't think he was in the voters mind, he had a good game 7 so I don't think they would've changed their votes if that was the case. It's a flawed system anyway and I could not care less who gets it.
The voting happened before the 6 minute flurry and the diving save *AGAIN* in these playoffs.

Not that would have changed anything, but the final 10 minutes literally didnt factor in

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
No one on our team gives a crap about the Conn Smythe, McDavid broke some playoff scoring records, he was dynamite all playoffs.

Takes zero shine off our cup win, and McD would gladly give up the Smythe if the situations were reversed and they had won instead of us. Its a whatever thing for me.

I'm a hater. I'm really glad I got to watch Draisatl and Hyman cry as they left the ice.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
It's okay, it's a difference of opinion. I get where here's coming from, I just can't agree with him! :D

I just don't put a lot of stock in aggregate point totals in situations like this. To me, it's like bragging about how great the Rangers stars were in the playoffs because they got to beat the shit out of the helpless Capitals.

McDavid was a no show in four Finals games and only showed up after his team was romping in two of them. Edmonton loves Shania Twain, and I think there's a song about that or something.
Not to mention, how many of those points arent just padded?

he had 4 points in an 8-1 game. Beautiful. How many were crucial? 3 points in a 6-1 game against the Kings. 5 in a 7-4 game against the Kings.

Again, it doesnt matter.

But padding stats against the f***ing Kings should factor into the MVP. Just my 3 cents

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
No one on our team gives a crap about the Conn Smythe, McDavid broke some playoff scoring records, he was dynamite all playoffs.

Takes zero shine off our cup win, and McD would gladly give up the Smythe if the situations were reversed and they had won instead of us. Its a whatever thing for me.

If I was in charge I'd get rid off all of the other trophies. Just hand over the SC at the end of a season and no participatory awards.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Not to mention, how many of those points arent just padded?

I believe all of his points in that 8-1 game came after the score was already 3-1 or worse. That's why I mentioned it.

Something nobody seems to mention is that Edmonton's depth guys played out of their f***ing minds. Foegele and Janmark deserve a lot of respect for playing better over the course of that series than Edmonton's stars. The Panthers' advantage was supposed to be depth, and yet it really didn't work out that way.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
IMG_0564.jpeg

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
It's just the narrative and points are easy to count without taking into account context. McDavid put up 12 points against Cam Talbot and Dave Rittich, then the next round Demko is hurt and they go up against Silovs. I mean c'mon, we went through Vasilevski, Swayman, and then Shesterkin. It's not even comparable.

In the Finals? Two primary assists while they go down 3-0 to start the series. Puts up 4 points in the 8-1, but that's after they were already up 3-1. Game 5 he gets an empty net. Game 6/7 are zeroes.

Meanwhile Barkov shuts down all the top scorers. Kucherov, Pastrnak, Panarin, Drai, and McDavid were five of the top seven in points this season, all completely shut-down with Barkov on the ice. They scored no goals and 4 assists (2 primary, 2 secondary) total against him at 5v5. That's insane.

Obviously would be hard to compare against any historical precedent, but that's gotta be one of the all-time best defensive performances in any playoffs ever.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
It's just the narrative and points are easy to count without taking into account context. McDavid put up 12 points against Cam Talbot and Dave Rittich, then the next round Demko is hurt and they go up against Silovs. I mean c'mon, we went through Vasilevski, Swayman, and then Shesterkin. It's not even comparable.

In the Finals? Two primary assists while they go down 3-0 to start the series. Puts up 4 points in the 8-1, but that's after they were already up 3-1. Game 5 he gets an empty net. Game 6/7 are zeroes.

Meanwhile Barkov shuts down all the top scorers. Kucherov, Pastrnak, Panarin, Drai, and McDavid were five of the top seven in points this season, all completely shut-down with Barkov on the ice. They scored no goals and 4 assists (2 primary, 2 secondary) total against him at 5v5. That's insane.

Obviously would be hard to compare against any historical precedent, but that's gotta be one of the all-time best defensive performances in any playoffs ever.
Pretty much the complete opposite of this lmao

1719435584782.png

McDavid scores a CLUTCH Goal to stretch the lead from 4 to 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad