Series Talk: SCFs Discussion - 2024 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
SC.png

That base of the cup doesn't look like... a round shape to me at least... lol

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
The whole Conn Smythe thing is funny. They always talk about how defense wins championships, then give the prize to the guy who scores the most and loses. Not to either of the guys who shut him and every other teams big scorers down when it counted all playoffs.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The whole Conn Smythe thing is funny. They always talk about how defense wins championships, then give the prize to the guy who scores the most and loses. Not to either of the guys who shut him and every other teams big scorers down when it counted all playoffs.
The reasoning also is flawed.

Bob was punished for having 3 bad games

McDavid went pointless for 3 f***ing games.

McDavid was boosted because "Totality of the playoffs."

Ok, Cool, I guess Bob only played 1 round :laugh:

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

Norris and Hart are all awarded to guys who score points, regardless of other considerations. For everybody else, there's the Selke and the Vezina.

Personally, I think that's kind of a joke, given that we already have the Art Ross and Richard awards for points, but that's life. I've felt that way for a while, by the way. I think there should be a Selke-adjacent trophy for defensemen, because the Norris really is just the 'guy who plays D who scores the most points' trophy these days. Granted, Makar is gonna deserve it any way you slice it, but it's still silly.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Norris and Hart are all awarded to guys who score points, regardless of other considerations. For everybody else, there's the Selke and the Vezina.

Personally, I think that's kind of a joke, given that we already have the Art Ross and Richard awards for points, but that's life. I've felt that way for a while, by the way. I think there should be a Selke-adjacent trophy for defensemen, because the Norris really is just the 'guy who plays D who scores the most points' trophy these days. Granted, Makar is gonna deserve it any way you slice it, but it's still silly.
I've long wanted a Larry Robinson or Scott Stevens award for Dmen

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The reasoning also is flawed.

Bob was punished for having 3 bad games

McDavid went pointless for 3 f***ing games.

McDavid was boosted because "Totality of the playoffs."

Ok, Cool, I guess Bob only played 1 round :laugh:

It is based on all 4 rounds, and it we're being honest, Bob was out performed in at least 3 of the rounds by the opposing goaltender. McDavid was a very deserving winner. Bob's stats and performance were fairly middling. I mean he let in 5 breakaway goals in a row. That is awful! Barkov has a far better claim for being the Panthers candidate. Bob would have been one of the worst Conn Smythe winners. Last year if we had won, he would have been the rightful winner.

McDavid didn't score in 3 games. Well he still joins an elite group with Gretzky and Lemieux for most points scored in a playoff season! That is insanely good. Bob's numbers hardly stand out as being amazing. I think only Kuemper has worse stats for winning Stanley Cup goaltenders in the last several years.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
It is based on all 4 rounds, and it we're being honest, Bob was out performed in at least 3 of the rounds by the opposing goaltender. McDavid was a very deserving winner. Bob's stats and performance were fairly middling. I mean he let in 5 breakaway goals in a row. That is awful! Barkov has a far better claim for being the Panthers candidate. Bob would have been one of the worst Conn Smythe winners. Last year if we had won, he would have been the rightful winner.

McDavid didn't score in 3 games. Well he still joins an elite group with Gretzky and Lemieux for most points scored in a playoff season! That is insanely good. Bob's numbers hardly stand out as being amazing. I think only Kuemper has worse stats for winning Stanley Cup goaltenders in the last several years.
Then why did Marchessault win it over Bob last year? And the 5 breakaways, again he had a bad stretch there to. Same amount of bad stretches as McDavid.

Only 2 goalies outperformed Bob. Stop. It was Swayman and Shesterkin

Marchessault had far inferior stats that McDavid this season and Bob was outright the MVP of the playoffs inarguably.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Then why did Marchessault win it over Bob last year? And the 5 breakaways, again he had a bad stretch there to. Same amount of bad stretches as McDavid.

Only 2 goalies outperformed Bob. Stop. It was Swayman and Shesterkin

Marchessault had far inferior stats that McDavid this season and Bob was outright the MVP of the playoffs inarguably.

So even you admit he was outperformed by 2 goalies. :laugh:

5 breakaways is more than a bad stretch. People were calling for Stolarz to start game 6...

This thought that Bob was robbed of a Smythe is hilarious. If anyone on the Panthers was robbed, it was Barkov.

McDavid tore up these playoffs. His points were fairly well distributed throughout each round. I mean if you think Bob should have won the smythe, you might as just give it to the winning goaltender each year :laugh:

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

I think it's all relative. The Panthers needed Bob to be very good to win against Boston, New York, and Edmonton. We weren't a high-scoring team after the first round. Bob was exceptional for at least four games against all of those teams. In a best of seven series, that is all you can ask for, and all you can really want to get.

He was the best player on the ice in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, when the Panthers were reeling and desperately needed him to come up big and save them.

I'd have said Barkov was the team's MVP after game 3, but timing is everything. Bob was the deciding factor -- the best guy on the ice -- in the biggest game in any of these players' lives. In what people have been saying was the biggest, most important, and most pressure-packed game in decades.

Timing is everything. I don't give a flying f*** how many secondary assists Connor McDavid put up on a struggling Kings team, one that even Kings fans agree was a jobber matchup. I don't care how many points he scored when Edmonton was up 4-1 in that game 4 meltdown.

I know who the real MVP of that Finals series was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad