GDT: SCF | IV | "What Do We Say To The Gord of Death?" | Oilers vs. Panthers | 6.15.24 | 6:00PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I want to be like this by the end of the game.
20240615_145824.jpg

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Stick Pickard in net.

Throw in Carrick... Gagner... Erne... Pederson...Lavoie...Gleason...Kemp.

Get fresh, hungry, enthusiastic players in there to replace some of the weary, injured, burnt out ones.

Give this last game a shot at success by throwing as much fresh meat and energy at the Panthers as possible.

Will it work? Maybe not... but we know what the Oilers have been doing hasn't worked... so don't expect to draw water from the same poisoned well over and over and over again and expecting a different result this time around.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Reactions: Captain Fantastic

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Stick Pickard in net.

Get fresh, hungry, enthusiastic players in there to replace some of the weary, injured, burnt out ones.

Give this last game a shot at success by throwing as much fresh meat and energy at the Panthers as possible.

Will it work? Maybe not... but we know what the Oilers have been doing hasn't worked... so don't expect to draw water from the same poisoned well over and over and over again and expecting a different result this time around.
0% chance that works.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Stick Pickard in net.

You’re channeling Torterella now, aren’t you.

Reactions: brentashton

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We have no second line..

Blackhole1-McDavid-Blackhole2
4th line a
4th line b
4th line c

Line with Holloway might be 2nd best
Not entirely true, the Oilers are incapable of playing a defensive system in front of an average goaltender that is totally dependant on defensive structure. The skill level of the players only gets you so far when they refuse or are incapable of playing within a defensive structure.

The team has to be able to play mistake free hockey, at least make less mistakes than the other team, and have an elite goaltender.

The description above is what Florida has accomplished.

I knew before the season started which players had to be flushed, that Woodcroft had to be replaced with a coach that demanded mistake free hockey within a defensive schematic. Unfortunately that talk wasn't permitted on these boards.

And Holloway doesn't play with any defensive structure to his game so don't go making a hero out of this player. This is a misconception. Playing with speed and heart isn't winning the Oilers bugger all.

Florida sits back and waits for the players playing with "speed and heart" to play without structure, knowing that they will make mistakes and turn over pucks at the most inopportune times.

I'd go so far as to say the Edmonton Oilers system is best described as, "playing without any identifiable structure".

Last edited:

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Yea, it's not like other positions. You really don't want a weird, neutered stoic who is so calm he's comatose out there asleep at the wheel letting pucks fly by him. The whole idea of sports psychology and dissecting/compartmentalizing your thoughts and feelings is not something a goalie should be doing. Stay the f*** away from anything in your head, rail some lines of coke and scream at the refs and your defencemen a bit. Skinner ain't the guy.

You want a guy who smokes cigarettes between periods and is pad stacking to win you the Cup. Bobrovsky is the guy. Guys like Hasek and Mike Smith who you can teach some positioning to but who are playing and winning off pure intuition and genetic skill.

Exactly. You can’t hypnotize yourself into being an elite goaltender. Skinner is playing at a level that would have him demoted to the AHL by any other team during any time during the regular season. Somehow, he’s starting in the Stanley Cup Finals and is so historically terrible that he will be the benchmark with which every terrible playoff performance by a goalie is compared, much like Cloutier before him.

Holland and everyone involved in the decision to stubbornly play him will be ridiculed for just as long.

And that’s even if they don’t play him tonight.

And the squandering of McDrai’s peak is historic managerial incompetence that will be remembered and discussed for decades.

We’re definitely in the midst of historic lows in both playoff goaltending and team management.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not entirely true, the Oilers are incapable of playing a defensive system in front of an average goaltender that is totally dependant on defensive structure. The skill level of the players only gets you so far when they refuse or are incapable of playing within a defensive structure.

The team has to be able to play mistake free hockey, at least make less mistakes than the other team, and have an elite goaltender.

The description above is what Florida has accomplished.

I knew before the season started which players had to be flushed, that Woodcroft had to be replaced with a coach that demanded mistake free hockey within a defensive schematic. Unfortunately that talk wasn't permitted on these boards.

And Holloway doesn't play with any defensive structure to his game so don't go making a hero out of this player. This is a misconception. Playing with speed and heart isn't winning the Oilers bugger all.

Florida sits back and waits for the players playing with "speed and heart" to play without structure, knowing that they will make mistakes and turn over pucks at the most inopportune times.

I'd go so far as to say the Edmonton Oilers system is best described as, "playing without any identifiable structure".
Playing without structure doesn't get you into Stanley Cup finals. Oilers have played with great defensive structure limiting teams like VAN and Dallas to minimal shots. Even in this series we are going pretty good structure wise.

It's just that our PP has gone down the drain and top guys are playing entitled hockey or are too banged up to create execute anything

Edit and Holloway has more ES goals this playoffs than McDavid. You need a mix of everything.. Holloway brings heart and hustle along with skill..

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Playing without structure doesn't get you into Stanley Cup finals. Oilers have played with great defensive structure limiting teams like VAN and Dallas to minimal shots. Even in this series we are going pretty good structure wise.

It's just that our PP has gone down the drain and top guys are playing entitled hockey or are too banged up to create execute anything
I disagree. All teams aren't equal.

Before I got kicked, in the offseason, I predicted the Oilers would finish second overall in league standings and likely get beat out in the conference finals. They finished lower in the standings but reached the finals. High praise but I knew they weren't a cup winning caliber team.

There is defensive structure that gets you past the weaker teams and the also rans then there is defensive structure that wins Stanley Cups.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I disagree. All teams aren't equal.

Before I got kicked, in the offseason, I predicted the Oilers would finish second overall in league standings and likely get beat out in the conference finals. They finished lower in the standings but reached the finals. High praise but I knew they weren't a cup winning caliber team.

There is defensive structure that gets you past the weaker teams and the also rans then there is defensive structure that wins Stanley Cups.
It's okay for you to disagree.. doesn't make you right.. or me.

We would be winning this series if our PP was clicking. Or if Nuge+Drai+Hyman scored a single goal combined all series

Reactions: dssource

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It's okay for you to disagree.. doesn't make you right.. or me.

We would be winning this series if our PP was clicking. Or if Nuge+Drai+Hyman scored a single goal combined all series
...and maybe our power play is negated by elite defensive structure.

The Florida panthers have bought into "structure" and are playing an elite game because of it. Effectively shutting down the Oilers high powered offence.

The game at the highest level is always about structure and commitment. Sergei Bobrovsky is playing behind a wall of structure and commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad