Hypothetical mega star: how would the league deal with this?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Premature off season thread maybe, but the thought popped a couple of times in my mind and I wanted to gather the opinions of you guys.

What would happen if the NHL witnessed the coming of a mega star, I’m talking about the guy who racks up 8-10 points a night, 7 feet tall 280 behemoth that can’t be hurt by the opposition so you can’t stop him. The type of monster you created in EA NHL when you first started playing. After 5 Stanley Cup in a row won exclusively because of him, would the league intervene to nerf this guy?

Your opinion is crucial on this.

This is hockey, my lord.

Anyone can be killed.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Imagine if it's a goalie, as fast as a cat and as big as Alaskian brown bear so they literally can't score on him because he's too big and goals are too small.

What will NHL do with this?
Watch his teammates score a ECF GWG in 2021 with too many guys on the ice.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Fans of Team X here would offer a 2nd+cap dump+mediocre prospect for him.
Habs fans would offer Matheson, Anderson, Barron and a 2nd.

Then say you don’t get the value of Matheson because you don’t watch him play.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
So to simplify, what would the league do if a player came along that basically broke the game? They would change the game.

The best example that came to mind for me was Wilt Chamberlain in the NBA. They raised the hoop height and implemented "offensive goaltending" so he couldn't just stand there and block shots at the rim.

An NHL scenario might mean smaller net sizes to curb scoring. Maybe implementing so other limiting factor like no two-line passing, etc.
I was under the impression that the vast majority of basketball leagues have always been the basket is 10 feet higher than the floor…because that’s what James Naismith had when he invented the game in 1891 (there was a running track 10 feet off the gym floor and Naismith used peach baskets..have someone retrieve the ball when a team scored.
I think there were minor changes when Chamberlain entered the league but they were defensive changes..width of three second lane.

I don’t think baseball made any moves to hinder Babe Ruth when he started hitting tremendous amounts of home runs. In fact, they helped him. Outlaw the spitball (grandfathered 19 pitchers who threw it) and other trick pitches, more balls used in a game, juicing the baseball in 1925 although they somewhat deadened it after 1930 when it was felt too be too much offense (they had the highest attendance ever that year until 1946).

Reactions: kingsholygrail

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I was under the impression that the vast majority of basketball leagues have always been the basket is 10 feet higher than the floor…because that’s what James Naismith had when he invented the game in 1891 (there was a running track 10 feet off the gym floor and Naismith used peach baskets..have someone retrieve the ball when a team scored.
I think there were minor changes when Chamberlain entered the league but they were defensive changes..width of three second lane.

I don’t think baseball made any moves to hinder Babe Ruth when he started hitting tremendous amounts of home runs. In fact, they helped him. Outlaw the spitball (grandfathered 19 pitchers who threw it) and other trick pitches, more balls used in a game, juicing the baseball in 1925 although they somewhat deadened it after 1930 when it was felt too be too much offense (they had the highest attendance ever that year until 1946).
Regardless, if a player was impacting the game so much that the game was suffering, I'd imagine they'd change or add rules to counter that. Babe Ruth took advantage of the change to the live ball era which nerfed the pitchers in the dead-ball era.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Meh. “Xxxxx” is better. What has this guy ever won without being carried by that other guy? His defense is garbage. Analytics shows he’s been getting lucky, his shooting % is unsustainable. That contract can’t be traded and like I’ve been saying this whole time that gm should be fired into the sun for ruining this team. Old boys club hire.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
No one has ever been that much better than their peers, so nerfing someone that good only makes it hard to score for any other player. Basically, nothing would get done because this scenario is impossible.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
Premature off season thread maybe, but the thought popped a couple of times in my mind and I wanted to gather the opinions of you guys.

What would happen if the NHL witnessed the coming of a mega star, I’m talking about the guy who racks up 8-10 points a night, 7 feet tall 280 behemoth that can’t be hurt by the opposition so you can’t stop him. The type of monster you created in EA NHL when you first started playing. After 5 Stanley Cup in a row won exclusively because of him, would the league intervene to nerf this guy?

Your opinion is crucial on this.
Your mother been telling you stories about me again eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad