Series Talk: SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

Who will win Game 7

• Edmonton

Votes: 186 78.8%
  • Florida

Votes: 50 21.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Perhaps there is no veracity in my sense that maybe Florida took their foot off the gas a bit in game four. Up 3-0, there are numerous opportunities to close it out and what better way to do it than at home in game 5. Having the Oilers number all year and so far in these finals up until this game, I wonder whether they considered that it wasn't a must-win game and that they would have two more times to win it at home if needed. I can't imagine that a team deliberately throws in the towel to lose, since these things can always come back to bite them, but I wonder whether to a degree, they took this game lightly, thinking even if they lose, they will have more opportunities in a familiar arena with their own fans, to finish off the Oilers.

I am happy the Oilers won, but feel Florida decided to concede the victory and then put in all the marbles the next game at home.
Nah. The Oilers got off to a quick start, then McDrai got some points and built some momentum. They got a few by Bob and booted him. The Cats got frustrated and started taking penalties. It's a totally different game if Nurse gets a major. Good win Oilers. We'll see what happens game 5.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
The panthers didn't lose on purpose. They got beat plain and simple. The oilers scored a shorthanded goal after the panthers hit the post twice. Then the panthers lost their composure and allowed the game to get really out of reach resulting in an 8-1 final score. No one loses a chance to win the cup on purpose.
Totally agree. It's sports, and this stuff happens.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The panthers didn't lose on purpose. They got beat plain and simple. The oilers scored a shorthanded goal after the panthers hit the post twice. Then the panthers lost their composure and allowed the game to get really out of reach resulting in an 8-1 final score. No one loses a chance to win the cup on purpose.
Not only did they purposely lose tonight they also purposely got badly outplayed in game one allowing Bobrovsky to win them the game in order to conserve energy. You see the Panthers are so good they that even when they are dominated it's by choice and apart of their master plan.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
The Cats are still winning this thing - they’re just way too good overall - but I m happy that my Oilers 1) avoided the sweep and 2) showed that they belong on SCF ice and can indeed beat the Panthers.
This is a reasonable and objective post being down 1-3 in the finals.

Thank you. Great post.

Reactions: Laus723

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Florida had plenty of early chances to take the lead in this one, some posts, maybe a bad bounce or two, and some nice saves by Skinner kept that from happening. They should also almost just decline the PP opportunities at this point, Edmonton ends up gaining momentum from their PK.

The series has been closer than 3-1 would make it seem, however those wins count all the same and it's an uphill battle for the Oilers to get back into this. Florida gets 2 days to think about this loss, I'd expect them to come out flying in game 5.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, that's called having a job.
Lol sure..But they have a pretty exclusive job, and with that some influence and power over their situation. They have the NHLPA, the NHLPA and the NHL negotiate about the terms of conditions for the NHL players to play in the NHL. They have power to influence when they work to some degree, plain and simply.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
Nah. The Oilers got off to a quick start, then McDrai got some points and built some momentum. They got a few by Bob and booted him. The Cats got frustrated and started taking penalties. It's a totally different game if Nurse gets a major. Good win Oilers. We'll see what happens game 5.

Best take I've seen so far. Refs definitely bailed out the oilers by giving nurse a slap on the wrist on what should've definitely been a major penalty.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Still in panther's favour, but if this goes to game 6, you have to start feeling like this series is slipping from them. The fancy stats so far have been in oilers favour, it's just now coming around.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
NHL players have a choice in the matter, as there is a CBA. Working from September to April is more preferable to them than August to March.
Yeah, assuming there are no playoffs. But I'd say that playing a winter sport in the middle of June is not very preferable to most. Then again, I assume most players don't really care for the slave labor that is playoffs that they don't even get paid for. I wonder if they'll push for the ability to decline playing in the playoffs if they want to go golfing instead, makes sense to me.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
Yeah, assuming there are no playoffs. But I'd say that playing a winter sport in the middle of June is not very preferable to most. Then again, I assume most players don't really care for the slave labor that is playoffs that they don't even get paid for. I wonder if they'll push for the ability to decline playing in the playoffs if they want to go golfing instead, makes sense to me.
If anything is silly, it is the thought that NHL players playing in the playoffs are "slave labor".
Good Grief!

I bet you that none of the players who get the privilege of fighting for the Stanley Cup feel remotely that they are being shortchanged. Because they get paid like kings.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

The Oilers took a major in game 2 and when that 5 minutes was up they were leading. Until Florida's PP wakes up a bit, I don't think that's going to make it a totally different game.

PuckLuckCup

Jun 15, 2024
Only 2 out of 32 team's players play into June. Half the league is done by mid-April and another 8 teams done by early May.

I think players would prefer to have May through August off, rather than April through July off.

Players don't want to be starting training camps during August weather.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Well that was a fun game. Finally some puck luck....
sad it ain't 2-2 like it should be.
Hope for the Oilers to get lucky and. lucky and win game 5.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Still in panther's favour, but if this goes to game 6, you have to start feeling like this series is slipping from them. The fancy stats so far have been in oilers favour, it's just now coming around.
When it gets to game six repeat the same post. Too many if's flying around right now.

One game. That's it.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Exactly. If that's a major, maybe the Oilers get 2 shorties instead of 1 on that PK.

When it gets to game six repeat the same post. Too many if's flying around right now.

One game. That's it.
"If" is kind of a requirement for discussion of future events.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad