Series Talk: SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (FLA Leads 3-1)

Who do you have?

• Florida in 4

Votes: 55 4.3%
  • Florida in 5

Votes: 187 14.6%
  • Florida in 6

Votes: 377 29.5%
  • Florida in 7

Votes: 106 8.3%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 21 1.6%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 53 4.1%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 332 26.0%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 148 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png
IMG_6405.jpeg

Last edited:

dhfa

Apr 18, 2023
Oilers should have had nurse skate all the way down the ice and run bobrovsky. Like totally blatant, history long suspension, oilers win the cup after he's out of the series.

Nurse may not play in the NHL again after this season, not with anyone other than the oilers. He's made tons of money, he would be worth every penny if he would have taken out Bob and the oilers win the cup.

It's legit the only thing that could justify every dollar of nurses contract.
Classy. Its post like this that make me happy the Oilers are getting swept. Never had anything against the Oilers until I saw their cheap shots and posts like these.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
WUT?!

Not sure if serious. BS if serious.

McDavid will be 28 years old next playoffs. ''McDavid's window is closing'' is making it sound like he's like 34.

Ovechkin was 32 and 13 years in the league before he made his first conference finals, which was the only year he played in the conference finals and the year he won the cup and Conn Smythe.

I remember he was never gonna win the cup on Washington. I think I was one of the people saying it.

That was 8 years after the 09-10 Washington team that really looked like they could win the cup and had an insane season. And yet they didn't come any closer than that (well, they lost in the first round that year, so they did come a little closer between then and the cup win) until they won the cup in 2018.

8 years ago McDavid was a rookie (and missed almost half the games injured) and the Oilers were still bottom feeders. The Oilers weren't really even a consistent playoff making team until the last 3 years.

Yzerman is another guy that didn't win the cup until he was early 30s (first finals appearance at age 31) and was written off as having his window closing. Then he wound up winning 3 cups in his 30s.

The window is not closing. Unless you have some inside knowledge that McDavid is close to the end of his career, due to some kind of injury or illness that the public currently has no idea about, that's gonna force him to retire early like Bobby Orr or Cam Neely.
Ovechkin was also clearly not his teams most impactful player anymore when he won it. Kuznetsov and Holtby were more deserving of the Smythe, especially Kuz. McDavid will be the age Crosby was in 2016 next year. His window isn’t closing yet but it’s not going to get any easier to win in Edmonton after his/Drais next contract.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
So? Look how far they got with all those warts.

Nurse needs to disappear completely. I'm not sure how you do that. Hopefully they see he's a problem and do whatever they can to park him on the bottom pairing. You can afford a bad defenseman in the bottom-2. Not in the top-4 though. Salary and contract be damned, he shouldn't be playing any semblance of tough minutes.

Skinner is probably fine as the backup, but I wonder if they're on Ullmark's no trade list? I'm not sure if you have to exile Skinner, but they need something better. His playoff play both seasons has been a huge impediment. I think Campbell is bought out. They haven't even let him near the team during the playoffs. They went right to Pickard.

People always talk about cup finals wins with mediocre goaltending performances. Colorado just had one two years ago, but Skinner is on a whole other level.

I'd like to see a breakdown of Skinner's play against weaker opponents in the regular season and if he always plays so lousy against top caliber teams, even in the regular season, because his regular season play is more than fine, but in the playoffs it's been abhorrent. It makes 2022 Kuemper/Francouz, 2010 Niemi and 2009 Fleury all look ELITE.
They are top heavy with McDavid and Draisaitl. Also their PP was like 50% through the 1st 2 rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
What? Skinner is not far off Demko? Are you on drugs?
Given the resources that Vancouver has to develop goalies, I would have no issues with taking on Skinner if Vancouver moved on from Demko(injury issues).

Look at Dubnyk with Edmonton and away
Look at Talbot with Edmonton and away
Look at Smith (who kept his own personal goalie coach)

Fundamentally Skinner is sound, he has the ability to find another level of play. He just needs the encouragement to do so

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
What? Sir. Drugs are bad. MMkay.

You really think Skinner isn't far off from being a Veniza nominated goalie?
Wasn’t that long ago when Bobrovsky was the center of buyout talks, he’s about to be a top 2 Conn Smythe finisher.

If you have a goalie that’s fundamentally able to perform, you can work with them.

What good is a Vezina nominated goalie that you can’t rely on to be healthy?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ovechkin was also clearly not his teams most impactful player anymore when he won it. Kuznetsov and Holtby were more deserving of the Smythe, especially Kuz. McDavid will be the age Crosby was in 2016 next year. His window isn’t closing yet but it’s not going to get any easier to win in Edmonton after his/Drais next contract.
Ovechkin may have been another example of the lifetime achievement Conn Smythe award. Like Niedermayer in 2007, Crosby in 2016, Kane in 2013 (who was still pretty young), only all of those guys had won the cup prior to that and Ovechkin hadn't.

That said, Ovechkin was still the best player on the Capitals as of the 17-18 season, even if he wasn't the most worthy of the Conn Smythe in 2018.

Holtby was already on the decline. Had a good playoffs in 2018, but that was his first decline year. He had one better than average regular season after 16-17 and it was in a year where he only played 24 games and I don't think he played more than a few games in the 2022 part of that season because he was injured for the remainder of the year and would never play again.

Speaking of Crosby, I think a lot of us wondered if he'd ever win another cup by 2015, at least in Pittsburgh. They constantly underwhelmed in the playoffs between the two finals years/one cup year early in his career and that next cup. In no large part at all due to him, though I think he was injured for at least one of those playoffs and didn't play.

And then they did win.

I see no way McDavid goes cupless in his career, unless it's literally close to over and some kind of injury ends his career way prematurely. We can argue whether that cup McDavid eventually wins will come in Edmonton or not, but I don't see him leaving there anytime soon.

Maybe if he's like 32-33 and they haven't won the cup yet, he'll ask to be sent out of there.

Reactions: o6mopok

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Bure 2000-2001 season was one of the best seasons ever. 92 points and the next best player had 37. He was a 1 man team literally.
That was the problem, unfortunately. Then ownership only brought him in as a marquee attraction in order to sell tix. (And it certainly was amazing to go watch him play.) They never built anything around him

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Ovechkin may have been another example of the lifetime achievement Conn Smythe award. Like Niedermayer in 2007, Crosby in 2016, Kane in 2013 (who was still pretty young), only all of those guys had won the cup prior to that and Ovechkin hadn't.

That said, Ovechkin was still the best player on the Capitals as of the 17-18 season, even if he wasn't the most worthy of the Conn Smythe in 2018.

Holtby was already on the decline. Had a good playoffs in 2018, but that was his first decline year. He had one better than average regular season after 16-17 and it was in a year where he only played 24 games and I don't think he played more than a few games in the 2022 part of that season because he was injured for the remainder of the year and would never play again.

Speaking of Crosby, I think a lot of us wondered if he'd ever win another cup by 2015, at least in Pittsburgh. They constantly underwhelmed in the playoffs between the two finals years/one cup year early in his career and that next cup. In no large part at all due to him, though I think he was injured for at least one of those playoffs and didn't play.

And then they did win.

I see no way McDavid goes cupless in his career, unless it's literally close to over and some kind of injury ends his career way prematurely. We can argue whether that cup McDavid eventually wins will come in Edmonton or not, but I don't see him leaving there anytime soon.

Maybe if he's like 32-33 and they haven't won the cup yet, he'll ask to be sent out of there.
McDavids cup window hasn’t peaked yet, it’s Edmontons cup window that’s taking a strangle hold due to poor cap management.

Nurse, Campbell, Bouchard, Draisaitl and McDavid can be north of 50 million against the cap

Reactions: MikeK

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wasn’t that long ago when Bobrovsky was the center of buyout talks, he’s about to be a top 2 Conn Smythe finisher.

If you have a goalie that’s fundamentally able to perform, you can work with them.

What good is a Vezina nominated goalie that you can’t rely on to be healthy?
Skinner hasn't been bad in the regular season, though also not a Vezina caliber goalie either, but he's only played 2 full seasons in the NHL and a cup of coffee in another.

For some reason he's been really bad in the playoffs. It's like he becomes Campbell in the playoffs.

But he's still only played 2 playoffs in the league, so he can be rehabbed and salvaged and wind up having a good playoffs at some point. Bob has his fair share of really bad playoffs, and won 2 rounds before last year. I don't think he won a single round before he was 30 and only won a single round before the Panthers in 2022.

I do wonder if Edmonton will cut bait with him before long, or at least relegate him to the backup by next playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Three On Zero

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Skinner hasn't been bad in the regular season, though also not a Vezina caliber goalie either, but he's only played 2 full seasons in the NHL and a cup of coffee in another.

For some reason he's been really bad in the playoffs. It's like he becomes Campbell in the playoffs.

But he's still only played 2 playoffs in the league, so he can be rehabbed and salvaged and wind up having a good playoffs at some point. Bob has his fair share of really bad playoffs, and won 2 rounds before last year. I don't think he won a single round before he was 30 and only won a single round before the Panthers in 2022.

I do wonder if Edmonton will cut bait with him before long, or at least relegate him to the backup by next playoffs.
With a potential Campbell buyout, I don’t think they can afford to move on from him.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
McDavids cup window hasn’t peaked yet, it’s Edmontons cup window that’s taking a strangle hold due to poor cap management.

Nurse, Campbell, Bouchard, Draisaitl and McDavid can be north of 50 million against the cap
2 of those are not like the others.lol

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
My biggest take away from the final is that it’s impressive how cohesive the panthers are.

At any given moment of the game, it seems like the 6 panthers on the ice (including the goalie) all share the same brain cell, they are the most “team like” team I’ve ever seen.
When they are “on” it’s something to see. You describe it well. Like when McDavid starts wheeling and dealing around the zone, the next guy is there to pick up coverage when he’s starting to break away from the first.
The way they get the forecheck rolling, first guy falls back to cover for 2nd guy when he pinches down, and then just keep doing it. The others taking away other outlets for the puck. The pressure is relentless when they’re really rolling

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I think Rodrigue will end up being a very good starter. He's better than Stu IMO. Obviously not next year but hoping to see him in backup duty.
I think he’s been good enough to be given a backup role. Has earned it

For fun.. add in Ceci.

Almost 20 mill for Campbell, nurse and Ceci. And that is exactly why I get pissed when people say McDavid needs to back check more.
Decline.

Reactions: Czechboy

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
For fun.. add in Ceci.

Almost 20 mill for Campbell, nurse and Ceci. And that is exactly why I get pissed when people say McDavid needs to back check more.

That's nuts. So much wasted cap. This Oilers team would look a lot different if they had not made so many terrible contract mistakes. That $20M is a top pairing D or a complete second scoring line. Management should be gone after this season. What a disgrace.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada

I don't hate Skinner . I think he is a decent goalie. He gets thrown under the bus too often when its actually the team in front of him that fails him.
I just don't think he is a top tier goalie. He doesn't often make big time saves. I thought Silovs outplayed him.

Reactions: MaWa and Bleedred

BasicCampfire

Aug 5, 2022
Does anyone know how long Our Lady Peace played for in the pre game concert? Trying to gauge how long Shania will being playing tomorrow

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That's nuts. So much wasted cap. This Oilers team would look a lot different if they had not made so many terrible contract mistakes. That $20M is a top pairing D or a complete second scoring line. Management should be gone after this season. What a disgrace.
Oh yeah.. and brown is 3 mill against cap.next season.lol. He might not even be on the team but he has a performance bonus.

Reactions: MikeK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad