Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Don't go overboard. He's sound but isn't a magician. He got a 3d for Allen with 15 months retention, after having 3 goalies for far too long.

Probably. But deadline prices are always insane.
Also Dach needs to show he's not made of glass, Newhook took a step forward but probably needs to take another step, Barron needs to turn into something.

Sidenote- I hate that capfriendly is gone! I can't find out what happened to the Av's 2nd round pick that the Hab's got in the Barron trade!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Habs seem to be wizards out of getting draft value in trades so I wouldn’t put it past the proposed deal from happening. I’d rather wait until the deadline though to see how Emberson performs and to see if Savard is healthy and playing well.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Either now or at deadline. Oilers lost 3 D-men off their roster. Habs have extra D. Reinbacher likely make team at some point this season.

Veteran D like Savard who has a ring at 1.75 million. It's good deal for Edmonton
Can't be now as that would leave Mon with just Matheson as a veteran Dman and with Harris (131 games) gone, the next most games played is then Guhle with like 114, and everyone else has under 100 games. That isn't an ideal setup to develop Dmen. X, Barron, Struble, Hutson, etc.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'm not even gonna question Savards worth being a 1st +. Habs fans on these boards always make the most outrageous valuations of their players at the deadline and somehow they are actually always f***ing right.
I think the 1st accounts for 50% retained (50% = $1.75M). If you go to TDL, that price should come down in theory but possibly go up based on market conditions. I.e. how many RHD rentals are going to be available affects the price.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Also Dach needs to show he's not made of glass, Newhook took a step forward but probably needs to take another step, Barron needs to turn into something.

Sidenote- I hate that capfriendly is gone! I can't find out what happened to the Av's 2nd round pick that the Hab's got in the Barron trade!
Used to trade up to get Hage. You can follow a trade tree on hockeydb and hunt these things down, but i preferred capfriendly, too.

Reactions: Xirik

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
LOL, its uncanny.

If anyone proposed a 1st + for Chiarot or Harris for Laine + 2nd....

Hughes is a troll.

Or maybe Scintillating is Hughes?????
You guys overpaid for Laine. He's got more negative value than a 2nd round pick. $8.7MM x 2 is a lot of money on a busted player.

I think the trade should be the 2024 2nd + 3rd round picks (via St Louis) to rent Ceci back at 50% retained. If San Jose can't retain, the 3rd goes to a 3rd party team that can.

Now that would be a hilarious troll OP that's also probably very close to accurate on Ceci's value at the 2025 TDL.

Ceci to Oilers 50% retained for 2nd + 3rd round picks. That's less than y'all got for Chiarot and Tampa paid for Savard.

Ceci is arguably the best player of those three and certainly the one with the most recent playoff experience.

Oilers current defense
LHD - RHD

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Troy Stecher
Kulak - Emberson

Ceci fits right back in on Dpair 2. Savard does the same.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I wouldn't mind bringing in Savard, but I don't like the 1st round pick price tag, even with the retention. He's really a bottom pair guy right now in an ideal situation, so I still think we would need to get an upgrade on him, and our management brought in Emberson to try him out I'm sure, and not just to try to slip him through waivers, so I'm not sure if this is the best fit.

If we're trading our 2026 1st, I'd rather aim for a guy like Dante Fabbro who might be more of a long term fit than Savard. If Emberson doesn't work out, then I'd like a Fabbro type AND a guy like Savard as depth, in an ideal world. If Emberson works out well, we don't need Savard in that scenario, so I would respectfully decline for now, with the potential to revist, at a lesser cost than a 1st, closer to the deadline.
Oilers can’t trade their 2026 first. It has a condition on it due to the Oilers trading into the first round of 2024, it’s either the 25 or 26 pick depending on if they want to give up the 25 pick after the season ends.

Besides, Bowman loves Connor Murphy. That’s who he’ll be going after to fill the right side second pairing D spot.
I thought the conditional 2026 pick was related to the pick being top 12 protected, as in, its the 2025 pick unless its in the top 12, in which case it would defer to 2026. Maybe I just assumed that though. Regardless, it still makes it untradeable until the 2025 draft at minimum.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Can't be now as that would leave Mon with just Matheson as a veteran Dman and with Harris (131 games) gone, the next most games played is then Guhle with like 114, and everyone else has under 100 games. That isn't an ideal setup to develop Dmen. X, Barron, Struble, Hutson, etc.
I know, I doubt it's at all as Habs should be in playoff race. In long term, worse thing could happen to them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know, I doubt it's at all as Habs should be in playoff race. In long term, worse thing could happen to them.
They may even want to consider extending Savard if the numbers and term work. I mean, say they do flip him for either a 1st or 2nd at the TDL should not really be in the race by then. Would everyone be experienced enough to only have Matheson as the true veteran around? Cause, the price to bring in a RHD is going to be expensive in either cap hit or term.

Never easy trying to integrate that many young D all over a couple of seasons. But, it's not at least until Feb before they should even consider it.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Oilers can’t trade their 2026 first. It has a condition on it due to the Oilers trading into the first round of 2024, it’s either the 25 or 26 pick depending on if they want to give up the 25 pick after the season ends.

Besides, Bowman loves Connor Murphy. That’s who he’ll be going after to fill the right side second pairing D spot.
If it's the Oilers choice on the 2025 or 2026 pick - I think they could still trade the 2026 pick, but that just means that they would have to give their 2025 pick to satisfy the trade where they got a late 1st in 2024.

From your lips to god's ears on Connor Murphy!

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Any deal that's a RHD @ 50% with money in money out will get the Oilers' attention. I really hope it's someone better than Savard.
If it isn’t better than someone like Savard, you’re probably better off spending less on a worse RHD improvement and using the 1st to fill whatever gaps we find in season.
If the Oilers turn out to be sellers something has gone very VERY wrong.
I’m not too worried. The Oilers core that carries them year after year remains intact.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I would hate this... would rather see them try to use their first to get a player with term, similar to what Vancouver did a couple seasons ago with Hronek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad