Confirmed with Link: Sather to retire

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Let’s face it..he will always be known for those drafts he had with Edmonton in the late 1970s early 1980s. But how could he be so poor in NewYork? He got lucky or deserves some credit for drafting Lundqvist although others pushed for it.
But amazing he lasted so long with the Rangers with so little to show for it.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I going to miss slats if I’m honest with myself.
He was a well respected guy throughout the league. Dolan loves him….
I will say Sather chomping on his stogie, wearing his 2 thousand dollar suits def looked the part as the boss of NYR.

Wish we coulda won a cup while he was still here in some capacity. Hes been semi-retired for years now.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Let’s face it..he will always be known for those drafts he had with Edmonton in the late 1970s early 1980s. But how could he be so poor in NewYork? He got lucky or deserves some credit for drafting Lundqvist although others pushed for it.
But amazing he lasted so long with the Rangers with so little to show for it.

The Rangers have been a printing press for Dolan since the lockout. They've also won a lot. Thats why Sather has been here so long. Also drafting Henrik and Igor helped.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I thought he was already retired.

He was a scrappy player. Part of the deal with Ted Irvine and Jerry Butler that brought John Davidson from St. Louis to the Rangers.

As a GM---7 years without playoffs is not something that would leave anyone with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Eventually the Rangers turned it around but he definitely wasn't the greatest. Dolan liked him though.
He would’ve been fired if he didn’t accidentally strike oil with Hank.

Hank extended Sather’s his tenure with the organization for the rest of his career.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Similar to drafting Hank and Igor, him bringing in Zucc for a second shot helped when he listened to his people.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
There is a faction of younger Rangers fans that have little idea what this man put the Rangers fanbase through for well over a decade.

It was pain. Constant pain. 10 year playoff drought or whatever it was. Horrible signings and hirings. Never made himself accountable and never was held accountable.

So it goes. Enjoy your retirement in Banff Slats.

BlueShirtGal

True Blue Kitty
May 19, 2014
Federal Way, WA
Saw this on FB lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpeg
    IMG_0357.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 2

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
So does this mean Drury has the job for life?

I’d have to think Sather has gotten Drury close to Dolan over the years.

Alternatively, Sather has been protecting Drury from Dolan and Drury no longer has that protection. Impossible to know unless we’re in the org.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I remember when they went to the cap system many of us said it was the best thing that could’ve happened to a Sather run team.

Saved him from himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad