Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Wainwright-Edwards-Luecke
Brown-Di Iorio-Doucette
Franceschetti-Chamberlain-Moses
Sim-Gaughan-Hall

Bridgewater-Omeri
Barr-Andersen
Filak-Young

Chartier starts
Surzycia back up

Seems as tho they want that 2nd line to be a thing. I like it. Once again have four 16 yr old Cs. Would like to see Luecke make an impact playing top line.

Sting post says no Young. So 4D + Filak on the backend.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAMER

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Wainwright-Edwards-Luecke
Brown-Di Iorio-Doucette
Franceschetti-Chamberlain-Moses
Sim-Gaughan-Hall

Bridgewater-Omeri
Barr-Andersen
Filak-Young

Chartier starts
Surzycia back up

Seems as tho they want that 2nd line to be a thing. I like it. Once again have four 16 yr old Cs. Would like to see Luecke make an impact playing top line.

Sting post says no Young. So 4D + Filak on the backend.
At some point guessing next 2 games they need to get some lines together to get chemistry heading into season.
looks like diorio doucette Brown might be a line.
Some defensive issues but good second line. Not sure who will be 1st C but karimov will be there

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well that was a fun period. Chamberlain 2 goals! Kid can absolutely fly. Edwards & Wainwright with a beauty play & Luecke with a snipe.

Very physical once again.

Reactions: JAMER

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Hate to say it but that's one of those games that can cost you a spot if u are Chartier. That tying goal just can't go in. Ever. Especially in the final 2 mins up 1. All night pucks were getting behind him, or lost in his pads. Just wasn't inspiring much confidence.

9PPs two being majors + a 5on3 sure as heck didn't help though. Especially when they only had 4 legit D & Young, Omeri got 10s. Just a circus of a 2nd period.

Love seeing Chamberlain get 2Gs. Got a ton of PK work too. Edwards continues to be one of their best players so far. Kid is just so smart. Di Iorio/Brown connect on another goal (should've been the GWG) too. Beauty shot by Luecke on his SHG. Loved Moses in this one. He needs to play with that level of intensity every game. Be a nightmare for other teams D. Hopefully he isn't to banged up tho as he limped off late.

Thought Barr and Bridgewater had their best games of camp so far. Barr especially. Filak filled in admirably. Liked Omeri more tonight than last week as well.

Hopefully get Hurt, Karimov, Bodin in the lineup this weekend so we can start getting some chemistry going. Big chance for Maillet to get that backup spot if he plays well.

Last edited:

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Some guys games are numbered.

My guess would be
-Gaughan
-Omeri
-Sim
Just don't make us any better in the lineup than out, that's how I judge value at this time. Chamberlain,I think, will be a very good player just needs to learn the wing.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Some guys games are numbered.

My guess would be
-Gaughan
-Omeri
-Sim
Just don't make us any better in the lineup than out, that's how I judge value at this time. Chamberlain,I think, will be a very good player just needs to learn the wing.
I'd agree. Gaughan needs time in Jr B. Which hopefully they are doing. Omeri is an ok 3rd pair guy, but his upside isn't as high as Bridgewater & I love Andersen's snarl.

They were really forcing it with Sim last night. Played a fair bit including PP1. He's just to small. Love his battle. Has skills. Just to small.

Reactions: howler2

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
I'd agree. Gaughan needs time in Jr B. Which hopefully they are doing. Omeri is an ok 3rd pair guy, but his upside isn't as high as Bridgewater & I love Andersen's snarl.

They were really forcing it with Sim last night. Played a fair bit including PP1. He's just to small. Love his battle. Has skills. Just to small.
We know Sim and gaughan should go to JR B but it's out of DS hands for Sim. Too bad because a watered down windsor team still wasn't noticable

Reactions: StingUpdates

joerogalski

Sep 3, 2015
Ontario
There's no way Sim plays on this hockey team... The Q in my opinion, being a Nova Scotia kid is a better option. He got knocked over about 6-8 times last night. Just simply doesn't have the frame/ talent to play in this league. Him, taking a roster spot could make things even messier and ultimately doesn't set the precedent going forward.

Gaughan to Strathroy is a great option... gets to be around the organization and the area... while playing big minutes... just goes to show the newfound trust players have in this organization.

Have a feeling Seca really wants to keep 8 D for the season... just based on injury trouble in recent years. Not to say that any won't be moved (Omeri most likely).

Goaltending is concerning... Chartier was brutal last night... just no poise between the pipes... way too many times getting caught out of position... gotta have trust in your tender.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
There's no way Sim plays on this hockey team... The Q in my opinion, being a Nova Scotia kid is a better option. He got knocked over about 6-8 times last night. Just simply doesn't have the frame/ talent to play in this league. Him, taking a roster spot could make things even messier and ultimately doesn't set the precedent going forward.

Gaughan to Strathroy is a great option... gets to be around the organization and the area... while playing big minutes... just goes to show the newfound trust players have in this organization.

Have a feeling Seca really wants to keep 8 D for the season... just based on injury trouble in recent years. Not to say that any won't be moved (Omeri most likely).

Goaltending is concerning... Chartier was brutal last night... just no poise between the pipes... way too many times getting caught out of position... gotta have trust in your tender.
Is this the same Joe Rogalski who played for the Sting? If so, hope everything is well! Enjoyed watching you play for those few seasons with us.

Totally agree. Sim has decent talent but just to small especially in a conference that has made a point to be more physical after LDN dominated it last 2 years with size, strength.

Yah I'm a bit worried the Sting might just have 3 average goalies & not one good one..Chartier really worried me last night. Positioning was bad. Rebound control was bad. Confidence looked shaky & above all tying goal was horrid & Letang would've hated it. Maillet has the opportunity to be backup in his hands this weekend.

joerogalski

Sep 3, 2015
Ontario
Chartier

.846 SV% in 2023-24 (24GP)
.842 SV% so far in pre season

Maillett

.904 SV% in 2023-24 (22GP) - OJHL Toronto Patriots

Played on a team with a 1A/1B situation

Seca for the Observer

As for the goalies, “we’ll probably start with three and kind of sort it out,” he said. “… Their play could dictate some things. Not really certain yet.”

Seems whoever has the hot start will get the job... kind of an odd plan to decide your back up role as I assume Surzycia will be getting every start possible. But, like you said this weekend could settle everything out in time for the opener next Friday.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023

SIM will be on this club. it's out of Secas hands I'm sure of that. Sometimes when the Son of your all-time leading points guy of the franchise. SIM Might get a pass here from ownership. Would be totally wrong decision for the future and this year.

Pretty anxious to see Ruslan play.seewhat we have the full picture.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Chartier

.846 SV% in 2023-24 (24GP)
.842 SV% so far in pre season

Maillett

.904 SV% in 2023-24 (22GP) - OJHL Toronto Patriots

Played on a team with a 1A/1B situation

Seca for the Observer

As for the goalies, “we’ll probably start with three and kind of sort it out,” he said. “… Their play could dictate some things. Not really certain yet.”

Seems whoever has the hot start will get the job... kind of an odd plan to decide your back up role as I assume Surzycia will be getting every start possible. But, like you said this weekend could settle everything out in time for the opener next Friday.

Honestly feel like they view it like Surzycia has at least proven he can keep them in most games & not cost them 2PTs. He was legitimately really solid up until Christmas then the wheels fell off for him & the team last yr.

I genuinely think they don't know who's actually better between Chartier & Maillet. Chartier showed some good last yr but also a fair bit of bad. Maillet solid Jr B year & I'd say has had a solid camp. If he plays well vs LDN I feel he's opening night backup.

Reactions: joerogalski

joerogalski

Sep 3, 2015
Ontario
Chamberlain

Management thought he was the best skater in this years draft class... yes, 55GP: 12G 11A 23P isn't going to grab your attention out of u16... IMO he has the potential to be a very good shutdown player up front and an elite penalty killer in the future. His speed, to go along with some skill development will only help going forward to chip in offensively. Very high ceiling.

Luecke

Has shown flashes in pre season. Definitely a kid who is skill based and would be most effective in the top 9.

2023-24 Oakland Grizzlies U16

51GP 11G 18A 29P

Stat line is confusing to me based on how he's looked so far. Team has invested time into him so I think they will give him all the resources needed to see what they have.

Barr

My pick for dark horse/breakout player for the season... looked comfortable on the power play last year as a true rookie. Injury cost him a good chunk of the season. I expect him to be physically stronger and will eat some minutes in the top 4 on the backend

Hall

Lacks offensive instincts but, coaching staff seem to want to put together a big boy 4th line with Moses and Franceschetti. I can see Hall having a successful role in this position. As an 06 he has to be an asset in the lineup every night.

joerogalski

Sep 3, 2015
Ontario
Honestly feel like they view it like Surzycia has at least proven he can keep them in most games & not cost them 2PTs. He was legitimately really solid up until Christmas then the wheels fell off for him & the team last yr.

I genuinely think they don't know who's actually better between Chartier & Maillet. Chartier showed some good last yr but also a fair bit of bad. Maillet solid Jr B year & I'd say has had a solid camp. If he plays well vs LDN I feel he's opening night backup.

Totally agree

Any 07/08/ Goalies stand out at camp?

Would be nice to get Patrick Quinlan over eventually

Just looking down the road when its time to seriously contend... could always rely on the Sarnia special and pick an OA tender up for a run in 26.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Totally agree

Any 07/08/ Goalies stand out at camp?

Would be nice to get Patrick Quinlan over eventually

Just looking down the road when its time to seriously contend... could always rely on the Sarnia special and pick an OA tender up for a run in 26.
Max Grovestine really stood out at camp..was honestly the best goalie. 10th rounder this past year. 31-4 last yr. Not sure his stats. He was back up to one of the drafts best goalies & from what I heard when he did play he was really solid.

I'm hoping he can have a solid season & maybe we see Sarnia sign him & get him in a few games before the season ends.

Their other G prospect is Kale Osipenko who's has a great ceiling but similar to Sim it's reliant on him growing (also 5'7"). Honestly had a solid camp, but unless he grows he won't be an OHLer. His family is a large one (brother was at camp & is 6'3")

Chamberlain

Management thought he was the best skater in this years draft class... yes, 55GP: 12G 11A 23P isn't going to grab your attention out of u16... IMO he has the potential to be a very good shutdown player up front and an elite penalty killer in the future. His speed, to go along with some skill development will only help going forward to chip in offensively. Very high ceiling.

Luecke

Has shown flashes in pre season. Definitely a kid who is skill based and would be most effective in the top 9.

2023-24 Oakland Grizzlies U16

51GP 11G 18A 29P

Stat line is confusing to me based on how he's looked so far. Team has invested time into him so I think they will give him all the resources needed to see what they have.

Barr

My pick for dark horse/breakout player for the season... looked comfortable on the power play last year as a true rookie. Injury cost him a good chunk of the season. I expect him to be physically stronger and will eat some minutes in the top 4 on the backend

Hall

Lacks offensive instincts but, coaching staff seem to want to put together a big boy 4th line with Moses and Franceschetti. I can see Hall having a successful role in this position. As an 06 he has to be an asset in the lineup every night.
Agree on all that. Chamberlain gives me Ryan McGregor vibes. Good size, great skater, very detailed & reliable. Took Ryan a few seasons to find offensive success but once he did he was a helluva player.

Yah Luecke I like. Skating has improved a lot too. Hoping he can find a spot somewhere & get some runway with it.

Totally agree on Barr. Might take time coming off mono & missing half his rookie yr but once he fully gets going I think he could be a sleeper to get drafted.

Hall I don't mind as a 4th liner checker. Just very limited offensively.

Quinlan sure would be nice. Be a massive, massive get. Just not holding my breath for it haha.

Reactions: joerogalski

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Max Grovestine really stood out at camp..was honestly the best goalie. 10th rounder this past year. 31-4 last yr. Not sure his stats. He was back up to one of the drafts best goalies & from what I heard when he did play he was really solid.

I'm hoping he can have a solid season & maybe we see Sarnia sign him & get him in a few games before the season ends.

Their other G prospect is Kale Osipenko who's has a great ceiling but similar to Sim it's reliant on him growing (also 5'7"). Honestly had a solid camp, but unless he grows he won't be an OHLer. His family is a large one (brother was at camp & is 6'3")

Agree on all that. Chamberlain gives me Ryan McGregor vibes. Good size, great skater, very detailed & reliable. Took Ryan a few seasons to find offensive success but once he did he was a helluva player.

Yah Luecke I like. Skating has improved a lot too. Hoping he can find a spot somewhere & get some runway with it.

Totally agree on Barr. Might take time coming off mono & missing half his rookie yr but once he fully gets going I think he could be a sleeper to get drafted.

Hall I don't mind as a 4th liner checker. Just very limited offensively.

Quinlan sure would be nice. Be a massive, massive get. Just not holding my breath for it haha.
Barr struggled this year so far but settled down a bit as of late. With Bodin, fischer, young and hurt I'm not sure barr gets inside top 4. Maybe some second pp but I think young will be second pp.

Kostuch coming back shortly and I'm sure will be top 6 as well as karimov.

Don't see room top 6 for Edward's, leuke or Filak however we know how this coach likes his OAs we've seen it last year especially with Way playing pp and 2nd line. Made no sense but was a young team.

we will see, but still think filak will get 1st line minutes.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Barr struggled this year so far but settled down a bit as of late. With Bodin, fischer, young and hurt I'm not sure barr gets inside top 4. Maybe some second pp but I think young will be second pp.

Kostuch coming back shortly and I'm sure will be top 6 as well as karimov.

Don't see room top 6 for Edward's, leuke or Filak however we know how this coach likes his OAs we've seen it last year especially with Way playing pp and 2nd line. Made no sense but was a young team.

we will see, but still think filak will get 1st line minutes.
I don't think he gets 1st line. Wainwright is pretty clearly their best C, probably be the captain too. They seem to like the Brown/Di Iorio/Doucette trio & if that sticks they'll get legit minutes.

Could see the other middle 6 line being Filak/Edwards then one of Moses/Franceschetti.

4th line will be on any given night Chamberlain/Luecke/Hall/Sim & whichever one of Moses/Franceschetti isn't on line 3.

D pairs seem more easy to predict but Letang does change them up often. I'd like to see

Hurt-Fischer
Young-Bodin
Barr-Bridgewater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad