Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Literally was just checking this as u guys posted haha. I really like this decision. I like his upside a lot, but the jump for him is bigger than others & it showed at times. Send him down to Strathroy & let him play T6, PP etc instead of 4th line or sitting all yr.

I also like how Strathroy is the team they are sending their guys. This is the 3rd kid from this draft they've sent there. Sad to say but the legionnaires have become a full on disaster & i much prefer them going to a spot that usually does well & wins rounds.

Also good on Gaughan. Don't see many Americans come over & be willing to play Jr B. Hopefully this helps his development

Puts them down to 15F now.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Hypothetically, what would Mitch Young go for? You guys have quite a few defenseman signed. Seems like even though he isn't a big name that he would be good for just about anyone's second pairing. Was combing through rosters and he seems like someone could make a sneaky thrifty pick up by adding him.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Come deadline who knows, young can play play next year as well so worh limited OAs next season and in a year potentially make a huge push for West. Can't see DS even listening to a trade for Young or Wainwright unless big value is offered for young, which I can't see! Moses on the other hand is 05, could see interest from teams if plays the right way and carves a spot on 3rd 4th line.
When kostuch and Karimov arrive there will be moves.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Hypothetically, what would Mitch Young go for? You guys have quite a few defenseman signed. Seems like even though he isn't a big name that he would be good for just about anyone's second pairing. Was combing through rosters and he seems like someone could make a sneaky thrifty pick up by adding him.
Hard to guess honestly. I feel he's gonna breakout. But do other teams? 19 so they'd get him for 2 seasons & I think he could be a really good OA D in the league.

I looked back the last 3 years on trades to find guys I'd compare him too but couldn't find many. Best I saw would maybe be Teddy Sawyer who was a solid T4 19 yr old Dman & it cost OS a 2nd & 3rd.

Been other deals for 19 yr old D (that weren't NHL drafted) that netted teams bigger returns for 4or5 picks & been others that sorta gotta fleeced.

I'm not sure Sarnia plans on doing it they've spoken before on how good of an OA they think he'll be, but if they do I'd hope for a good return. He's a really fun player.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Hard to guess honestly. I feel he's gonna breakout. But do other teams? 19 so they'd get him for 2 seasons & I think he could be a really good OA D in the league.

I looked back the last 3 years on trades to find guys I'd compare him too but couldn't find many. Best I saw would maybe be Teddy Sawyer who was a solid T4 19 yr old Dman & it cost OS a 2nd & 3rd.

Been other deals for 19 yr old D (that weren't NHL drafted) that netted teams bigger returns for 4or5 picks & been others that sorta gotta fleeced.

I'm not sure Sarnia plans on doing it they've spoken before on how good of an OA they think he'll be, but if they do I'd hope for a good return. He's a really fun player.
Teddy Sawyer and Mitch Young are nowhere near the same, for me at least, in price value. I liked Teddy the year he was in Owen Sound but Mitch Young has to be worth far more I would think. Really good player he's become since moving to Sarnia. The skating and offense, in my mind at least, have to increase the price tag over a defensive steady Eddie like Sawyer. He just adds more value on the back end with the tools he brings.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Damn. Have liked Doherty's potential since we took him a few years ago. Has shown real flashes of being a guy who could be a good producer in this league. Unfortunately he's been very inconsistent & as we talked about he has not had the type of camp we were hoping for.

5th in return is solid. Probably the best they would've gotten for any of their bubble guys & with him being 18 it makes sense with the chances of him becoming a stud OA going down.

Wish him the best! Down to 14Fs now.

Reactions: honeydripper

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Damn. Have liked Doherty's potential since we took him a few years ago. Has shown real flashes of being a guy who could be a good producer in this league. Unfortunately he's been very inconsistent & as we talked about he has not had the type of camp we were hoping for.

5th in return is solid. Probably the best they would've gotten for any of their bubble guys & with him being 18 it makes sense with the chances of him becoming a stud OA going down.

Wish him the best! Down to 14Fs now.
great trade for Sarnia

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Believe Sarnia has
1st, 2nd, 4th, two 5ths, two 7ths, three 8ths for the 2025 draft now.

So not to bad. They've been able to do some damage in this mid rounds over the years so having 7 picks in 5/7/8 is nice.

I still imagine we see one or two more deals involving depth guys, but it won't be for as much as this deal. Don't really think we get any more top 5 round picks unless Doucette or Filak have a big OA yr (don't foresee that) & are dealt.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Believe Sarnia has
1st, 2nd, 4th, two 5ths, two 7ths, three 8ths for the 2025 draft now.

So not to bad. They've been able to do some damage in this mid rounds over the years so having 7 picks in 5/7/8 is nice.

I still imagine we see one or two more deals involving depth guys, but it won't be for as much as this deal. Don't really think we get any more top 5 round picks unless Doucette or Filak have a big OA yr (don't foresee that) & are dealt.
Maybe a team comes calling for Surzycia come deadline. Might be a decent value guy at deadline.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Not sure why but we got a Tuesday pre season game tonight. Gonna be missing the top 4 D (Fischer Young Bodin Hurt) on the team, so might be a bit of a mess defensively at times, but good opportunity for Bridgewater, Omeri, Barr & Andersen. Wonder if they bring up Neusteter &, or Garrett so they aren't running 4D.

Up front likely still no Kostuch or Karimov so I imagine Chamberlain & Gaughan draw in to give them 12Fs, 4 of which being 16.

Still a tight battle for those final few F spots & in net. See if any step up!

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Surzycia should get tonight's game, needs 2 games I'd say going into season tonight would be great time to get alot shots with our weak D lineup

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Not sure why but we got a Tuesday pre season game tonight. Gonna be missing the top 4 D (Fischer Young Bodin Hurt) on the team, so might be a bit of a mess defensively at times, but good opportunity for Bridgewater, Omeri, Barr & Andersen. Wonder if they bring up Neusteter &, or Garrett so they aren't running 4D.

Up front likely still no Kostuch or Karimov so I imagine Chamberlain & Gaughan draw in to give them 12Fs, 4 of which being 16.

Still a tight battle for those final few F spots & in net. See if any step up!
Spits are missing 7 players tonight vs Sarnia all away at NHL rookie camps,3D,Christoforo, Walton, Mathurin, 4F,Greentree, Protas,Davis and Spellacy,and all of them played against Sarnia in Windsor,with Christoforo the only one of that group not to register a point in that 6-3 Windsor win.
That being said 6 of them,other then Greentree did not play at Flint the day before everyone left,in Windsor 's 7-2 win over Flint,and Greentree didn't register a point in that one.
Spits have 31 players rostered for exhibitions,27 skaters and 4 goalies,and after 2 games 20 of the 27 skaters have at least a point in exhibition.
Should be an interesting game tonight, things were a little chippy at times in Windsor lets see what happens tonight.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
leuke hall moses should be a very heavy 4th line with physicality size and presence.

3rd line might be interesting centered by filak and have franchesschetti and maybe Edward's (still see him top 9)

Top 6 locks
Doucette
Wainwright
Kostich
Brown
Diorio
Karimov

But I will BET anyone that filak will be in top 6 maybe even 1st line center?
We need him to be on a heavy 3rd checking other teams top lines and playing pk and 2nd pp. Like Way did when we had a more offensive top 6..

Still hope DS does right thing deals Sim.
Just don't see him in top 9 even. Not with guys like

Edward's
Leuke
Franchesschetti
Filak
Moses
Hall.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
leuke hall moses should be a very heavy 4th line with physicality size and presence.

3rd line might be interesting centered by filak and have franchesschetti and maybe Edward's (still see him top 9)

Top 6 locks
Doucette
Wainwright
Kostich
Brown
Diorio
Karimov

But I will BET anyone that filak will be in top 6 maybe even 1st line center?
We need him to be on a heavy 3rd checking other teams top lines and playing pk and 2nd pp. Like Way did when we had a more offensive top 6..

Still hope DS does right thing deals Sim.
Just don't see him in top 9 even. Not with guys like

Edward's
Leuke
Franchesschetti
Filak
Moses
Hall.

its not secas call

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Lots of good news in that article. Kostuch close. Karimov here. Bodin only bruised up. Hurt likely back this weekend. Very nice to hear.

It is interesting he didn't mention Sim. I hate that he said they are gonna run 14Fs. Simply not a fan of sitting 2Fs every single night.

Reactions: JAMER

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad