Sarnia Sting 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Proof of vax will be required to attend Sting games (as well as all other OHL rinks).
For me, negative Covid test within 72 hours required to get to Sarnia.
Very complicated year coming up.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I physically can’t handle wearing a mask for long periods of time so unless you can take your mask off while seated, I won’t be attending games.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I physically can’t handle wearing a mask for long periods of time so unless you can take your mask off while seated, I won’t be attending games.
Get a hot dog and a beer, sit it in your lap and eat/drink for the entire game. ;)

Reactions: robp1219

Tone

Jan 28, 2019
Check out the Shawinigan Cataractes website in the QMJHL. Whats up with that.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Check out the Shawinigan Cataractes website in the QMJHL. Whats up with that.
What's on there? I can't get on the English website.
I’m guessing the reference is to Owen Saye being acquired by them.

Saye is one of many who was hurt by the pandemic. He only had 4 points in his 45 career games, which isn’t the end of the world normally. But with the pandemic taking out his 18 year old season, he’s suddenly coming in as a 19 year old with only 45 games and 4 points under his belt. At this point, especially on a younger team, it probably makes a lot more sense to move on and invest his minutes into a younger player who will have more time to develop and provide for this team.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I’m guessing the reference is to Owen Saye being acquired by them.

Saye is one of many who was hurt by the pandemic. He only had 4 points in his 45 career games, which isn’t the end of the world normally. But with the pandemic taking out his 18 year old season, he’s suddenly coming in as a 19 year old with only 45 games and 4 points under his belt. At this point, especially on a younger team, it probably makes a lot more sense to move on and invest his minutes into a younger player who will have more time to develop and provide for this team.
Wouldn’t mind him on the 4th line, he played real hard and laid some huge hits. I don’t like using young skilled guys on the 4th line. Rather them play a much bigger role in junior b or tier 2 Junior a

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Wouldn’t mind him on the 4th line, he played real hard and laid some huge hits. I don’t like using young skilled guys on the 4th line. Rather them play a much bigger role in junior b or tier 2 Junior a
Depends on the situation for me. If the team's loading up for championship run I'd want to lean towards some grit and grind on the 4th but if it's a rebuild situation I'd rather get some skill guys out there.

It's probably a better fit for Saye in the Q. Guys from the OHL tend to do a little better there than they did here. He will probably be able to establish himself as a shutdown line player who can put up some points.

Reactions: HockeyPops

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Depends on the situation for me. If the team's loading up for championship run I'd want to lean towards some grit and grind on the 4th but if it's a rebuild situation I'd rather get some skill guys out there.

It's probably a better fit for Saye in the Q. Guys from the OHL tend to do a little better there than they did here. He will probably be able to establish himself as a shutdown line player who can put up some points.
Ya I just feel putting a 2nd or 3rd round pick in Junior B for a year and letting him play twice as many minutes and getting more powerplay time and playing a couple games with the sting and practicing with both teams is better for their development as opposed to playing limited minutes and being healthy scratches quite often

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Really interested to see how Geci and Namestnikov play for you guys after not playing for a year.

Reactions: hellwar9

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Have asked around & haven't really gotten an answer as to if people can attend rookie scrimmages/main camp scrimmages.

I cant see why not just because even when covid wasn't around that stuff never had more then 250-500 ppl.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Really interested to see how Geci and Namestnikov play for you guys after not playing for a year.
It'll be interesting to see how all the guys look. 18 months is a crazy amount of time for players this age. I expect It'll take quite a bit of time for them to get up to speed.

Not to mention usually they are eased into the league playing bottom-6 or 3rd pair now alot of them are playing T6. The 4Cs on the team will have 0 games of OHL experience which would never happen.

Reactions: wings5

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If two 16 yr olds start in top 6 or top 2 pairings, they are very likely on a bottom third team, just like any year. The 17 yr olds to be selected in the top few rounds of the NHL draft will get their TOI early in the season, just like any other year.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Who do you think is a player or prospect that could surprise people in rookie or main camp?
Gonna go with a few. From the 2019 draft I am also gonna go with Luca Rae. From 2020 draft I'll go with Filak who I know has some hype but I think is gonna be better than people expect. HM to Eveleigh who I'm personally fairly high on.

From this past draft I'll go with Ethan Tierman (4th rounder) & Brayden DeGelas (6th rounder). I am also pretty intrigued by Anson Thornton. Never played an OHL game but is getting an NHL camp invite. I know he's had a huge growth spurt over the last 2 years.

So excited to get back to the rink & see some of these guys, especially Namestnikov & Malyavin.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Sting make a trade with the colts picking up a 2004 born defenceman. 6’1 185, he didn’t have great numbers playing AAA. He was a 4th round pick by the colts. Don’t really understand the trade.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Sting's preseason roster only lists 4 defensemen ('01, '01, '02, '03). I would think that the team is building for next season, with your strong core of '03s. If there weren't many good '03 or '04 prospects in the system, this addition now bolsters that group. Barrie had no room for him on their roster.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
The Sting's preseason roster only lists 4 defensemen ('01, '01, '02, '03). I would think that the team is building for next season, with your strong core of '03s. If there weren't many good '03 or '04 prospects in the system, this addition now bolsters that group. Barrie had no room for him on their roster.
Ya sarnia definitely I built for the following season. Is he good?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
As a fourth rounder you would expect him to be able to play and Barrie is usually pretty good at drafting. Stats for defensemen don't always tell the story.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
As a fourth rounder you would expect him to be able to play and Barrie is usually pretty good at drafting. Stats for defensemen don't always tell the story.
Ya he could be a good defender I realize that. But most early to mid round pick defenceman playing AAA in Ontario put up 20-30 points or more in a season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad