Prospect Info: Samuel Honzek (LW/C) Vancouver Giants (Drafted 16th overall 2023)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Amsterdam
He is attacking all three zones with speed, pace and confidence which opens up space for not only himself but his teammates. He is competing hard every shift. He is going to the front of the net with regularity. He is forechecking hard by utilizing his reach and size to his advantage. His vision and playmaking for a big man is high end.

It's incredibly exciting to think what he can do with another 10-15 pounds of muscle. It's easy to see why this scouting staff fell in love with his tools.
Super exciting to read, thanks for the summary <3

Reactions: HighLifeMan

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
He is attacking all three zones with speed, pace and confidence which opens up space for not only himself but his teammates. He is competing hard every shift. He is going to the front of the net with regularity. He is forechecking hard by utilizing his reach and size to his advantage. His vision and playmaking for a big man is high end.

It's incredibly exciting to think what he can do with another 10-15 pounds of muscle. It's easy to see why this scouting staff fell in love with his tools.
This is the point I’ve been trying to drive home about Honzek, it’s terrifying to think that he’s not supppsed to be this good yet. He still looks wirey, and while his skating is obviously already good he still has that “post growth spurt” stride to him that anyone who’s been around hockey has seen. Yet after one off-season of pro style training and with a healthy prognosis, he’s bodying AHL/NHL pros in puck battles and his skating is already helping him create opportunities.

When this kid is 24 and settling in to a likely 6’4”, 210-215 pound frame, he could be a scary player. Just a puck possession monster with his mix of size, skating, and offensive IQ.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MM917 and Figgy44

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
These preseason games are the only games I've seen Honzek play but what I've seen i like.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. in Conroy I trust.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Is there a room for him on the Flames roster?
In theory, but I think it's best for his development to join the Wranglers and play on their top line. The only real spots up for grabs on the wing is 4LW, putting him in the top 9 would either force Zary or Pospisil out of the top 9 and Coronato off the roster all-together. The only possible chance is if the decide to play him as 4C with Lomberg and one of Pelletier or Coronato.

That said, if Bahl or Pospisil start the year on IR, then anything can happen.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
This is the point I’ve been trying to drive home about Honzek, it’s terrifying to think that he’s not supppsed to be this good yet. He still looks wirey, and while his skating is obviously already good he still has that “post growth spurt” stride to him that anyone who’s been around hockey has seen. Yet after one off-season of pro style training and with a healthy prognosis, he’s bodying AHL/NHL pros in puck battles and his skating is already helping him create opportunities.

When this kid is 24 and settling in to a likely 6’4”, 210-215 pound frame, he could be a scary player. Just a puck possession monster with his mix of size, skating, and offensive IQ.

I haven't gone back to check the rest of the threads yet, but I know that the words "raw" was used a lot, but was it mentioned in the past that he was a project? I know mentions of Janko were made, but I'm unsure about the project moniker.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I haven't gone back to check the rest of the threads yet, but I know that the words "raw" was used a lot, but was it mentioned in the past that he was a project? I know mentions of Janko were made, but I'm unsure about the project moniker.
I don’t know if he was ever officially labeled as a project, but every scouting report as well as the eye test came out the same. A 6’4, 185 pounder with good skating despite a flawed and janky stride, who wasn’t using his body to his advantage yet and dealing with injury issues. To me that screams a guy has the potential to make huge jumps as he adds mass and power, which will only benefit his skating while he also gets used to his height and fixes his mechanics. So while not labeled a project, definitely a guy you draft for what he might look like at when he’s 210 pounds and done growing, which was impressive because he was absolutely piling up the points in his draft year before his injury.

Said it back then and I’ll say it again, if he didn’t get injured his draft year he was a top 10 pick. Guy started his season with 30 points in 21 games as a WHL rookie that year. How good he looks offensively only came to a surprise to people that didn’t pay attention, and he’s still no where close to a finished project. Guy took this leap after 1 year of training with a fellow pro, and dropped a quote that said this was the first summer he’s really added in mobility work.
He has so much room to grow still.

Reactions: Figgy44

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015

The comparisons to Jankowski were always dumb IMO. Janko was drafted out of a high school league whereas Honzo was drafted out of the CHL. Took Janko until his senior year to be a PPG guy in the NCAA, he was always vastly overrated by our dumb GM and his dumb assistant both of which are gone.

Honzek was/is raw because of his size and rough skating, but at least shown he can put up points in the CHL. I think we can all agree last year is a wash, really down year in terms of production, but was battling injury the entire time. He's healthy now, has some confidence and is putting up points in pre-season pushing for a spot.

I don't believe for a second Honzek should be in the NHL this year, after the injuries last year he just needs to stay healthy this year. Going from an injury plagued season to your first full time NHL 82 game regular season is a MASSIVE jump. Have a good AHL season and next year we'll re-evaluate.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
The comparisons to Jankowski were always dumb IMO. Janko was drafted out of a high school league whereas Honzo was drafted out of the CHL. Took Janko until his senior year to be a PPG guy in the NCAA, he was always vastly overrated by our dumb GM and his dumb assistant both of which are gone.

Honzek was/is raw because of his size and rough skating, but at least shown he can put up points in the CHL. I think we can all agree last year is a wash, really down year in terms of production, but was battling injury the entire time. He's healthy now, has some confidence and is putting up points in pre-season pushing for a spot.

I don't believe for a second Honzek should be in the NHL this year, after the injuries last year he just needs to stay healthy this year. Going from an injury plagued season to your first full time NHL 82 game regular season is a MASSIVE jump. Have a good AHL season and next year we'll re-evaluate.

Yeah, that makes sense for me. Just to clarify though, CHL or WHL?

Just curious if it's a minor error or if you legit read it before because I recall seeing so many errors in some of the scouting reports that I wondered if some scouts were looking at the wrong guy, called it Honzek and then moved on or something. It was kinda weird how many times I saw contradictory stuff like that on Honzek. I'd never seen it that bad before for prospects.

IIRC, rt mentioned something similar for Danielson? He mentioned that there were strange contradictions he hadn't noticed for any other prospects before and he felt those two guys were most affected in their draft rankings as a result.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, that makes sense for me. Just to clarify though, CHL or WHL?

Just curious if it's a minor error or if you legit read it before because I recall seeing so many errors in some of the scouting reports that I wondered if some scouts were looking at the wrong guy, called it Honzek and then moved on or something. It was kinda weird how many times I saw contradictory stuff like that on Honzek. I'd never seen it that bad before for prospects.

IIRC, rt mentioned something similar for Danielson? He mentioned that there were strange contradictions he hadn't noticed for any other prospects before and he felt those two guys were most affected in their draft rankings as a result.
CHL is an umbrella league, it encompasses the WHL, OHL and QMJHL...

So your answer to CHL or WHL is... yes

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I would love to see Honzek get a 10 game or so cup of coffee with the Flames at season start but where is there room for him? I think the players ive listed on the 1st three lines are a lock so that leaves a lot of players fighting over three 4th line positions plus a spare... and maybe not even that since I would be surprised to see Coronato not wearing a Flames jersey at season start.

Screenshot_20241001-145548_kindlephoto-946270657.png

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
CHL is an umbrella league, it encompasses the WHL, OHL and QMJHL...

So your answer to CHL or WHL is... yes

Huh... I learned something new today. That's a strange and confusing distinction. Also makes more sense for some of the Gridin discussions.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Huh... I learned something new today. That's a strange and confusing distinction. Also makes more sense for some of the Gridin discussions.
It really is, I don't care enough to look into the history...
but I assume it is something like:
Hey we have 3 different leagues with the same age and skill of players from different areas of the country, we should combine them... no too much travel, costs too much... how about if they never play each other except a championship tournament of the 3 league champs?... cool, let do it....

I look at it like MLB, how they were before interleague play with the American and National Leagues when they only crossed paths at the ASG and World Series.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I would love to see Honzek get a 10 game or so cup of coffee with the Flames at season start but where is there room for him? I think the players ive listed on the 1st three lines are a lock so that leaves a lot of players fighting over three 4th line positions plus a spare... and maybe not even that since I would be surprised to see Coronato not wearing a Flames jersey at season start.

View attachment 911409
I’m operating under the assumption Pospisil centering Huberdeau was an early pre-season experiment more than a guaranteed outcome that some people are expecting it to be. This late in the pre-season, lines are usually getting relatively set and whenever a regular sits a spot filler usually takes their spot (ie Coronato in Manthas spot, Honzek in Zary’s spot last game, Solovyov in Bahl’s spot while he’s injured). The fact that Sharangovich centred Huberdeau last game tells me they’re more than likely leaning towards him being the centre in the top 9 than Pospisil as of now, even with him just nursing an injury. Now’s when they want lines getting their timing and chemistry back, if Rango was destined to play on Kadri’s wing he would’ve played there last night with Honzek sliding in elsewhere.

If Honzek makes the opening night, it probably looks like this:

Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Mantha
Honzek-Zary-Kuzmenko
Zary-Backlund-Coleman
Lomberg-Pospisil-Coronato
Pelletier, Rooney

Then after Honzek gets his cup of tea, everyone slides up a peg at game 10:

Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Coleman-Backlund-Coronato
Pelletier-Pospisil-Lomberg
Rooney, Klapka/Hunt

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I’m operating under the assumption Pospisil centering Huberdeau was an early pre-season experiment more than a guaranteed outcome that some people are expecting it to be. This late in the pre-season, lines are usually getting relatively set and whenever a regular sits a spot filler usually takes their spot (ie Coronato in Manthas spot, Honzek in Zary’s spot last game, Solovyov in Bahl’s spot while he’s injured). The fact that Sharangovich centred Huberdeau last game tells me they’re more than likely leaning towards him being the centre in the top 9 than Pospisil as of now, even with him just nursing an injury. Now’s when they want lines getting their timing and chemistry back, if Rango was destined to play on Kadri’s wing he would’ve played there last night with Honzek sliding in elsewhere.

If Honzek makes the opening night, it probably looks like this:

Honzek-Zary-Kuzmenko
Zary-Backlund-Coleman
Lomberg-Pospisil-Coronato
Pelletier, Rooney

Then after Honzek gets his cup of tea, everyone slides up a peg at game 10:

Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Coleman-Backlund-Coronato
Pelletier-Pospisil-Lomberg
Rooney, Klapka/Hunt
I think the fact that Pospisil has been injured since last Wednesday is screwing up Huska's lines and his experiment re Pospisil centering Huberdeau.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I think the fact that Pospisil has been injured since last Wednesday is screwing up Huska's lines and his experiment re Pospisil centering Huberdeau.
I mean I imagine he would’ve loved to give it a bigger trial, but realistically if it was reserved for Pospisil we’d be seeing guys like Morton and Schwint getting shots in that spot to impress while Rango gets a chance to build chemistry with his duo. There wouldn’t be much point screwing with other lines chemistry building time because Pospisil’s day to day in pre-season.

I think the last two games will be telling. Lineup should be getting pretty close to opening night, with our highest potential guys of getting a spot filling in for whichever guaranteed player gets a night off. If Rango plays another game of centering Huberdeau I think it’s safe to say Huberdeau-Rango-Mantha is atleast how we start the year.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I mean I imagine he would’ve loved to give it a bigger trial, but realistically if it was reserved for Pospisil we’d be seeing guys like Morton and Schwint getting shots in that spot to impress while Rango gets a chance to build chemistry with his duo. There wouldn’t be much point screwing with other lines chemistry building time because Pospisil’s day to day in pre-season.

I think the last two games will be telling. Lineup should be getting pretty close to opening night, with our highest potential guys of getting a spot filling in for whichever guaranteed player gets a night off. If Rango plays another game of centering Huberdeau I think it’s safe to say Huberdeau-Rango-Mantha is atleast how we start the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad