Prospect Info: Samuel Honzek (LW/C) Vancouver Giants (Drafted 16th overall 2023)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Amsterdam
He is attacking all three zones with speed, pace and confidence which opens up space for not only himself but his teammates. He is competing hard every shift. He is going to the front of the net with regularity. He is forechecking hard by utilizing his reach and size to his advantage. His vision and playmaking for a big man is high end.

It's incredibly exciting to think what he can do with another 10-15 pounds of muscle. It's easy to see why this scouting staff fell in love with his tools.
Super exciting to read, thanks for the summary <3

Reactions: HighLifeMan

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
He is attacking all three zones with speed, pace and confidence which opens up space for not only himself but his teammates. He is competing hard every shift. He is going to the front of the net with regularity. He is forechecking hard by utilizing his reach and size to his advantage. His vision and playmaking for a big man is high end.

It's incredibly exciting to think what he can do with another 10-15 pounds of muscle. It's easy to see why this scouting staff fell in love with his tools.
This is the point I’ve been trying to drive home about Honzek, it’s terrifying to think that he’s not supppsed to be this good yet. He still looks wirey, and while his skating is obviously already good he still has that “post growth spurt” stride to him that anyone who’s been around hockey has seen. Yet after one off-season of pro style training and with a healthy prognosis, he’s bodying AHL/NHL pros in puck battles and his skating is already helping him create opportunities.

When this kid is 24 and settling in to a likely 6’4”, 210-215 pound frame, he could be a scary player. Just a puck possession monster with his mix of size, skating, and offensive IQ.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MM917 and Figgy44

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
These preseason games are the only games I've seen Honzek play but what I've seen i like.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. in Conroy I trust.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Is there a room for him on the Flames roster?
In theory, but I think it's best for his development to join the Wranglers and play on their top line. The only real spots up for grabs on the wing is 4LW, putting him in the top 9 would either force Zary or Pospisil out of the top 9 and Coronato off the roster all-together. The only possible chance is if the decide to play him as 4C with Lomberg and one of Pelletier or Coronato.

That said, if Bahl or Pospisil start the year on IR, then anything can happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad