Prospect Info: Samkow Memorial HFCBJ 2024 Summer Prospect Rankings: #2

Which of these 5 prospects is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Vote for the best prospect from the above poll (listed alphabetically) and post who you think should be added from the full (remaining) list below. Criteria is that they are under 25 and haven't spent the majority of a season in the NHL. (This criteria may not match any particular service's/outlet's, or anyone's here who makes a list. Be that as it may...) Yes, there was some discussion on the inclusion of a few key young players, and this is the list we've arrived at.

Notes:
1) We've made every effort to have the full prospect list as accurate as possible. If you have quibbles with the list, or if you feel like we've left someone off, please shoot me a PM and we'll see if it needs to be fixed. "Graduates" from last year's list, and players no longer in the organization, include:
Tyler Angle (C) (unranked)
Ben Boyd (C) (unranked)
Jacob Christiansen (D) (#19)
Joshua Dunne (C) (unranked)
Adam Fantilli (C) (#1)
Trey Fix-Wolansky (RW) (HM)
Robbie Stucker (RD) (HM)
Daniil Tarasov (G) (#9)
Calvin Thurkauf (C/LW) (unranked)
Dmitri Voronkov (C) (#4)

2) There are no set guidelines to determine how you vote. Peak potential, likelihood of NHL career, pathway to playing time, expectations based on draft status -- any/all of these can be used at your discretion. There is no right/wrong way to vote.

3) There was some discussion on the first five. That said, we didn't fuss too much about it because you all can "fix" it in the add voting. Those five don't have to be the top five, if we get a player added and then enough posters vote for him in the subsequent poll.

4) Each poll is open for two days. We will do our best to keep these going with a fresh poll every other day, but pre-apologies if we miss one here or there, or opt to delay one over a Sunday or something like that.

The list so far:
1. Cayden Lindstrom (C)

Select your add from the list below (again, please let me know if there are corrections).
Luke Ashton (LD)
Ole Julian Bjorgvik-Holm (LD)
Cameron Butler (RW)
Corson Ceulemans (RD)
Cole Clayton (RD)
Luca Del Bel Belluz (C)
Kirill Dolzhenkov (RW)
James Fisher (RW/MOD)
Evan Gardner (G)
Jet Greaves (G)
Tanner Henricks (RD)
Aidan Hreschuk (LD)
Sergei Ivanov (G)
Oiva Keskinen (C)
Samuel Knazko (LD)
Nolan Lalonde (G)
Nikolai Makarov (LD)
James Malatesta (LW)
Luca Marrelli (RD)
Max McCue (C)
Hunter McKown (C)
Tyler Peddle (C)
Luca Pinelli (C)
Mikael Pyyhtia (LW)
Guillaume Richard (LD)
Martin Rysavy (LW)
Melvin Strahl (G)
Andrew Strathman (LD)
Stanislav Svozil (LD)
William Whitelaw (C)

Added: Jordan Dumais (RW)

Add votes (as of ABGTC):
Greaves - 13
Malatesta - 5
Svozil - 3
Ivanov - 3
LDBB - 2

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Maybe I've missed something with Greaves since I havent bought into the hype, but I'll still say add Ivanov.

Could also be that I just dont understand how to evaluate goalie prospects lol

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Jiricek, add Greaves.

For me it's super close between Jiricek and Mateychuk. Jiricek at the end of the day has the potential to have a greater impact offensively and if he can add some strength and learn to defend than he's your prototypical #1 RD that's worth their weight in gold.

Mateychuk is more likely to hit his full potential which is something similar to Werenski, maybe a bit better.

Close call nonetheless.

Maybe I've missed something with Greaves since I havent bought into the hype, but I'll still say add Ivanov.

Could also be that I just dont understand how to evaluate goalie prospects lol
To be fair, I feel like even scouts have a hard time with goalies. They can look like a franchise guy one season, only to look like they might be a waste of a roster spot the next 😂

Was it because of the team in front of them or something going on in their head?

Reactions: DoingItCoolKiwi

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
...It is a tough call between Mateychuk and Jiricek for me.
Not for me. I think Jiricek has the potential to be a very good defenseman in this league but I am not confident it is going to happen in Columbus.

I saw enough of Jiricek last year in both Cleveland and Columbus that I am convinced he needs significantly more development time in the AHL before he earns regular shifts in the NHL. Unfortunately Jarmo's piss poor handling of him last year has made sending him to Cleveland yet again a confrontational situation. If GMDW and HCDE decide Cleveland is best for him and he fights the demotion we can see a contentious standoff where Jiricek demands to be moved.

I know I have become pessimistic on this topic. I am hoping that this new regime comes in with enough credibility that if they want Jiricek to get more seasoning he recognizes they are playing the long game with him and protecting his long term goals over perceived short term gains.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Add Svozil
Just want to add that he has become a bit of a forgotten man around here. He wasn’t spectacular for Cleveland but we were all very high on him this time a year ago. Hes my next add, I just hope people haven’t forgotten about him.

Reactions: CBJx614

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Just want to add that he has become a bit of a forgotten man around here. He wasn’t spectacular for Cleveland but we were all very high on him this time a year ago. Hes my next add, I just hope people haven’t forgotten about him.
He probably rode that Bedard train a bit last season, but I think he'll still do decently after a solid season in Cleveland. Ceulemans on the other hand is about to go way down

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
He's not in my next three but he is right after them (LDBB, Malatesta, and Greaves for me).

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Thing is, the reports I've read and heard is that he actually was very good, just did different things. I don't think he's ever going to jump out but he has enough size, enough skill, skates well, can play in all three zones, was smart enough to keep up with Bedard and steadied Jiricek in the AHL playoffs. He's not a top pair guy but I could see top 4 and certainly an NHL future.

Once he's on the list I'll be pimping Richard as my next D (or Makarov). Both are also highly thought of but just under the radar and not going to jump out. I think Richard has a real chance to be a very good NHL player and is more defensive minded but also skates very well with size. Granted I'll have some forwards ahead of them but just planting the seeds for those that read this.... ;)

He probably rode that Bedard train a bit last season, but I think he'll still do decently after a solid season in Cleveland. Ceulemans on the other hand is about to go way down
If you read the reports, he didn't ride the train, he was the only one that could keep up and think the game in a similar manner. He's not going to wow you but he's going to be a 40pt guy that plays the PK and 5v5 very well. Just needs to keep progressing.

Reactions: pierre richard

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Not sure Ceuelemans would even make my top 20, personally
I think I'll give him some benefit of doubt since it was his first AHL season and he came from that Wiscosin program that hasn't been able to properly develop a NHL player since 20-21. But it'll definitely go down to somewhere around mid-teens

Reactions: koteka and Doggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad