Sami Salo Appreciation Thread

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
That's for sure. I'd argue one of the top defenders we've ever had as well. Hopefully this last surgery enables him to retire comfortably and in good health.
Yeah he was rock solid defensively - plus he had that huge shot. I'll never forget him scoring those 2 consecutive goals on the powerplay from the point in the 2011 playoffs.

I'll also never forget Brad Marchand (****ing ******) torpedoing him. And Salo's legendary "Balls of Steel".

There's just nothing you can criticize Salo for except for how injury prone he was - but even that revealed what a warrior he was.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
There's no particular reason but his OT goal vs Minny is somehow a goal of his I'll always remember. And his Blitzkrieg vs SJ.

Best of luck in your future endeavours Sami!

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Was my favorite player for most of his time here. It was always so exciting when he would dish the puck, skate completely off-screen, and then re-appear a few seconds later flying in at full speed to unleash a one-timer from the high slot. Loved him.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
His game-winning goal in Game 1 2009 against the Blackhawks will always stick out to me in my mind. Always such a rock solid defender who used his smarts to make up for his relative lack of footspeed and we've sorely missed that stabilizing presence on the back end. Probably one of the more underrated player around the league.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Salo was probably the most underrated defenseman in the league for the better part of a decade while with the Canucks. He was also an absolute playoff warrior. Sami Salo lives in my memory as one of the best Canucks defensemen I've ever seen. That slapshot of his should be in the Smithsonian.

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008
MY candidate for the Ring of Honor for sure. IMO, a top 3 defender of all time for the Canucks. He was great through two full errors of success in the history of the franchise.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Couple of my favorites...

- he had at least two OT winners vs Minnesota, I think. One on the road and one at home. The one on the road he had a pretty epic celebration where I think he got inadvertently clothes lined by one of his teammates.

- his clapper to give the Canucks a 4-3 lead in Game 4 vs. LA in 2010

- the two-goal game vs SJ in Game 4 of the Western Conference Final.

So many good ones. What a cannon.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
Couple of my favorites...

- he had at least two OT winners vs Minnesota, I think. One on the road and one at home. The one on the road he had a pretty epic celebration where I think he got inadvertently clothes lined by one of his teammates.

- his clapper to give the Canucks a 4-3 lead in Game 4 vs. LA in 2010

- the two-goal game vs SJ in Game 4 of the Western Conference Final.

So many good ones. What a cannon.

Game 4 definitely stands out. We were just dominating on the PP that game.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Such a beauty, took that shot to the gonads like a boss. Was such an instrumental part of this roster for so long, and that slap shot...

Happy trails, Sami!

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The funniest thing was....Salo being our only healthy D (I'm not counting fringe guys which includes Ballard) in that 2011 playoff run.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Hell of a defenseman and team guy. We certainly could use a point shot like his on the blue line again.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Are the rumors they want to bring him in for player development true? I think that would be an excellent move and I really like this organization grabbing recently retired players like Ryan Johnson, Dan Cloutier and Travis Green to be the main components of our development system.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00