Sami Salo Appreciation Thread

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
This deal makes total sense and is really best for both sides. Salo isn't physically capable of making it through an entire NHL season or make it through a post-season healthy. Also this team wouldn't be able to toss Salo a third of the money he got on the open market today. This is great because now Salo can collect a fat check laying in the sun in a low pressure market mentoring a younger team while looking towards retirement and the Canucks just filled his spot with a 27-year old version of him. I said awhile ago I thought Salo would go to the Islanders or Lightning. Perfect for both sides.

I wish Salo well, in his peak he was easily the most underrated defenseman in the game. Incredible soldier, good post-season player and just an all around good person. I would go so far to say that I think Salo was one of if not the best defensemen in Canucks' history.

Horse

Go Canucks!
Feb 14, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Aww, I shall miss dear sweet Sami. Great guy and player.
That contract is pretty LOL though, I wouldn't want to have given him more than the 1 yr/ 2 mill again. Still a smart hockey player, but I always hold my breath anytime he ever went back for the puck because of the fear he'd either get beat since he was so slow now, or get injured. I don't want the Canucks to pay almost 4 million for that.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
This deal makes total sense and is really best for both sides. Salo isn't physically capable of making it through an entire NHL season or make it through a post-season healthy. Also this team wouldn't be able to toss Salo a third of the money he got on the open market today. This is great because now Salo can collect a fat check laying in the sun in a low pressure market mentoring a younger team while looking towards retirement and the Canucks just filled his spot with a 27-year old version of him. I said awhile ago I thought Salo would go to the Islanders or Lightning. Perfect for both sides.

I wish Salo well, in his peak he was easily the most underrated defenseman in the game. Incredible soldier, good post-season player and just an all around good person. I would go so far to say that I think Salo was one of if not the best defensemen in Canucks' history.

Hear hear

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Well, bye Sami. Wish it didn't have to be this way, but best of luck in the sun.

Now watch him get heatstroke and need to be hospitalized for six months.

not to worry. february 2014, when we are gearing up for a cup defense, we'll trade that mallet kid to tampa for sami just as he's coming off LTIR because he got hit by a thunderbolt while trying to windsurf the previous summer.

Philx

Aug 6, 2011
Sami was always to me a smart, tough, determined warrior who played his guts out for the Canucks. This article sums it up for me

Sami Salo is a battler, and a very intelligent defenseman. He once took a Duncan Keith slap-shot in the balls during a playoff game, was taken to hospital, and returned to play in the very next game. Beyond that, Salo was a Canuck for 9 seasons and was a classy, low-key guy who led in the room, and carried himself well both on and off the ice. For his tenacity in always battling back from a myriad of injuries, for his loyalty to the organization, and for his persona in the community - he was beloved by the Canucks fan-base.

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/7/1/sami-salo-signs-with-tampa

Peter Bazooka

Jan 17, 2010
Salo was my favorite. I hope he does well in Tampa. Unless by some chance the Canucks meet the Lightning in the finals then I hope he has several terrible games in a row.

Pseudonymous*

Going to miss him! He scored timely goals, really wanted to win! Sadly we couldn't do it for him :(

canuckerfan

Dec 22, 2002
Burnaby, BC
Visit site
It will be sad to see Sami no longer a Canuck. A great player and an even better person off the ice. All the best, Sami:)

Interesting to note that now the Sedins are the only remaining players from the WCE era.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Man when I woke up this morning and saw on here he had signed then went to main boards and saw the salary first before I saw the team I nearly had a heart attack.

That's a ton of money for him. Thank **** it wasn't the nucks signing him for that.

Glad the nucks got to see the best of him. He was a trooper.

member 105785

My favourite Canuck over the past few years, I'll definitely miss him. That being said this is the first time in his career he's gotten to be overpaid and really appreciated. I'm so happy for him that he has the opportunity to cash in and be with Matty once again.

It's too high of a cap hit for too many years but I'm still getting all teary eyed just thinking about him without the C on his chest

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: