Confirmed with Link: Sam Gagner 1 year extension

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Bottom line is, this contract can be completely buried. This means he will not FOR SURE have a roster spot. A young guy can jump him at any time. BUT that young guy is also not gifted his starting role.

I know people want space for kids. But if they can't outplay Gagner, than they can train up in the AHL.

Reactions: 14ari13 and lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bottom line is, this contract can be completely buried. This means he will not FOR SURE have a roster spot. A young guy can jump him at any time. BUT that young guy is also not gifted his starting role.

I know people want space for kids. But if they can't outplay Gagner, than they can train up in the AHL.
We know how this works though... the tie goes to the vet, even if the vet sucks worse. We're talking about Babcock Jr coaching this team.

The team isn't competing for the playoffs so I'd rather just let the kids (Veleno, Berggren, Pearson) play. I'm really hoping this is just insurance for injuries because the team is injury prone. I can understand that prospective....

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Veleno, Smith, Berggren, Pearson in that order.

If Gagner plays and Veleno and Berggren get sent to GR, I'm going into boycott mode even if Seider is on the team. Gagner is a plug, basically a slower version of LGD with a little puck luck.

I hope Gagner sucks and we get a real chance at Wright. Don't really think Veleno and Breggren getting 'only' 40-50 games is going to mean all that much in another throwaway year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I hope Gagner sucks and we get a real chance at Wright. Don't really think Veleno and Breggren getting 'only' 40-50 games is going to mean all that much in another throwaway year.
Gagner can suck and Blash will still play him. Blash played him in OT on the first shift last season. I'm not a complete Blash hater like some here, but he does make some of the most baffling decisions sometimes.

Joey and Berggren are way more interesting to watch. They're both good skaters. Joey will throw checks, Berggren is supposedly a good setup guy (we'll see). Gagner does nothing.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm guessing this signing might be a reaction to losing Glendening. The Wings have already lost their top PK forward in Glendening and I'd assume the #2 guy Helm isn't returning either. Gagner became a regular on the PK after Filppula got dropped to the taxi squad, so he at least helps slightly offset the loss of those guys, while being a bit more useful than Helm in that he isn't a black hole offensively and gives them a right shot.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I don't see the point in this but it's nothing really to get upset over. If the choice was keeping him or Ryan I would have definitely rather re-signed Ryan even if he costs a little more.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not a big fan mainly because this signing brings back memories of the previous management prioritizing the streak at all costs even though it meant burning the integrity of the organization in a dumpster fire and fans being subjected to some of the worst hockey ever played in the NHL for years.

Since times have definitely changed I am confident this player will be managed the way a declining vet should. I think this is just another case where Yzerman likes the lockerroom pressence.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
This signing is kind of frustrating when you see how dirt cheap guys like Glendening (1.5), Bunting (900k) and Dzingel(1.1) signed for.

They would all bring more to the table in the bottom 6. Especially Dzingel. That deal is robbery.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If SY gets P.Suter at a reasonable 3*$3.5, I can overlook this Gagner signing.

If not, 1 demerit shall be issued.
Whew, that aged well.

I 3D printed the demerit & everything. I must now issue a formal apology & a full retraction. After, I will go into the wilderness & desert for 40 days & nights, alone, to reflect on said events.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman has picked his mentoring veterans. Gagner extended and Staal extended. They must be the right persons around our kids.

I don't mind this at all.

Vrana - Larkin - Zadina
Fabbri - Suter - Bertuzzi
Veleno - Rasmussen - Raymond/Berggren
Smith - Namestnikov - Erne
(Gagner, Nielsen, Hirose)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yzerman has picked his mentoring veterans. Gagner extended and Staal extended. They must be the right persons around our kids.

I don't mind this at all.

Vrana - Larkin - Zadina
Veleno - Rasmussen - Raymond/Berggren
(Gagner, Nielsen, Hirose)
Zadina never plays well with Larkin. I'd take anyone not named Nielsen over Zadina on the top line.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zadina never plays well with Larkin. I'd take anyone not named Nielsen over Zadina on the top line.

This would be my ideal lineup, but the big XXX is missing. Hopefully it's either Berggren or Raymond. Maybe not from the season start, but for the future.

Vrana - Larkin - XXX
Veleno/Rasmussen - Zadina
---------------------------
(Nielsen, Gagner)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
This signing is kind of frustrating when you see how dirt cheap guys like Glendening (1.5), Bunting (900k) and Dzingel(1.1) signed for.

They would all bring more to the table in the bottom 6. Especially Dzingel. That deal is robbery.

Ryan Dzingel that had...*checks*

13 points in 40 games last year?
Ryan Dzingel at eliteprospects.com

The only one up there that would be OK for us is Glendening, but we all know that his offense was incredibly limited. The other guys are serviceable 4th liners at this point in their careers. Gagner also falls into that category of "who gives a f*** if they still play" players.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
This would be my ideal lineup, but the big XXX is missing. Hopefully it's either Berggren or Raymond. Maybe not from the season start, but for the future.

Vrana - Larkin - XXX
Veleno/Rasmussen - Zadina
---------------------------
(Nielsen, Gagner)

Vrana - Larkin - Berggren
Bertuzzi - Suter - Fabbri
Erne - Veleno - Zadina
Namestnikov - Rasmussen - Smith
Gagner

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Vrana - Larkin - Berggren
Bertuzzi - Suter - Fabbri
Erne - Veleno - Zadina
Namestnikov - Rasmussen - Smith
Gagner
I think that's basically what I have if I wanted to put the Storm line back together. Starting Berggren on the top line is questionable (and Blash probably won't do it), but it's still better than Brome, lol.

Your lines follow the 2 basic rules:
- No more than 1 rookie on a line
- Zadina and Larkin don't belong on the same line

A lot of the line projections have Zadina slotted over Fabbri which is ridiculous. One is a proven goal scorer while the other whiffs on easy slappers.

We know we're gonna see the Blash blender at some point, I hope we see Veleno-Larkin-Vrana a few times. I am a speed freak. Not to mention Vrana had the assist on Veleno's only goal with a nice saucer pass.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I think that's basically what I have if I wanted to put the Storm line back together. Starting Berggren on the top line is questionable (and Blash probably won't do it), but it's still better than Brome, lol.

Your lines follow the 2 basic rules:
- No more than 1 rookie on a line
- Zadina and Larkin don't belong on the same line

A lot of the line projections have Zadina slotted over Fabbri which is ridiculous. One is a proven goal scorer while the other whiffs on easy slappers.

We know we're gonna see the Blash blender at some point, I hope we see Veleno-Larkin-Vrana a few times. I am a speed freak. Not to mention Vrana had the assist on Veleno's only goal with a nice saucer pass.

My reasoning for that first line is this:

Larkin is not the playdriver. He's the dirty work and defensive guy who pushes the play up to his wingers.
All 3 are speed demons.
Vrana is the best triggerman.
Berggren can rag the puck and be the playmaker in the offensive zone.

If real chemistry develops and Berggren shows that his SHL production isn't just a flash in the pan that might actually be a REAL first line.

Also Zadina and Veleno looked alright together in the brief stints they played together in Grand Rapids and at the 2019 prospect tournament. If Erne's play as a garbage man carries over from last year and Zadina continues to improve I think that could be a good 3rd line.

Reactions: Gniwder

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Tough break for Zadina.

Lol.

Why tough break for Zadina? He and Veleno looked good together in Grand Rapids. And it was clear last season that Zadina didn't belong in the top 6 of ANY team. Let the dude earn it this year. If he wants top 6 ice then he has to play his way up.

Reactions: Gniwder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad