Confirmed with Link: Sam Gagner 1 year extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Does block a youngster from a 4th line?

Possibly Chase Pearson, Veleno and Givani Smith.

My guesstimate for the combined number of games Nielsen and Gagner get is 85. That playing time is better going to young guys still learning the NHL game than washed up vets that don't know when to hang them up.

Reactions: Gniwder and lilidk

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If Yzerman deems Raymond or Berggren or Veleno ready they will play, Gagner won't stop that

Reactions: ealong59

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
That's if we're thinking that Blashill doesn't sit the kids in favor of a 4th liner who doesn't have much left in the tank.

We know that Raymond, Berggren, Givani Smith and Veleno bring more than Nielsen and Gagner, but Nielsen (unless bought out) and Gagner are going to get some games next year and that means less time for the rookies. Right handed shot or not, I'm not cool with that choice.

Well actually, we don't. We have no idea how Raymond and Berggren will handle the NHL yet. I hope they're ready as soon as possible and of course, I am more interested in watching them than Gagner. I see no point in signing big ticket players at this time, so we are left with cheaper players to fill the gap that are easy to move or bury if their longer term replacements (prospects) are ready.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I get Ogee's concern.

The front office language is always that "if the kid outplays the vet he'll get the minutes" yet come January no matter how shitty the vets look Babs/Blash has them logging big minutes.

I'm not sure that will happen here, we obviously do need some bodies, but I get the concern 100%.

It's not a concern.

It's a way of development. A part of the Yzerplan.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
It's not a concern.

It's a way of development. A part of the Yzerplan.

Well it is a concern if you feel the competition on merit is just lip service and our coach is going to ride the vets over the kids anyways.

Again, not saying that will 100% happen here, but it's a pretty valid concern for Wings fans based on the last several years.

Edit: Sorry FI, wrong response.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I get Ogee's concern.

The front office language is always that "if the kid outplays the vet he'll get the minutes" yet come January no matter how shitty the vets look Babs/Blash has them logging big minutes.

I'm not sure that will happen here, we obviously do need some bodies, but I get the concern 100%.
Yes that does happen too often for my liking, but it's good to have the insurance if a kid is put on the roster and then is not ready. I'd rather have a guy who can play just in case instead of being Buffalo and forcing them into the lineup when the AHL may be best for them. The signing isn't the decision I have a problem with, it's the hesitating to sit a vet that's the decision I disagree with

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Yes that does happen too often for my liking, but it's good to have the insurance if a kid is put on the roster and then is not ready. I'd rather have a guy who can play just in case instead of being Buffalo and forcing them into the lineup when the AHL may be best for them. The signing isn't the decision I have a problem with, it's the hesitating to sit a vet that's the decision I disagree with

Yeah, I think that's a fair take on it.

Reactions: NickH8

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
meh. It's only 1-year but I don't love this signing. Gagner brought almost nothing to the team last season.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I trust Yzerman will actually play the younger players if they warrant it, unlike our “overripe” prior GM. So I don’t worry about Gagner taking a kids spot, it’s insurance in case the kid’s not ready

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Which youngster is he blocking who you think should play the full 82 games this year?

I'm not expecting Gagner to play 82 games. But 50-55 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

So if he's playing 55 games at 15:26 ATOI that is 55 games at 2nd/3rd line minutes less that could go to a youngster that needs that playing time to make those rookie mistakes and learn from them.

(Yeah, Gagner actually played 15 minutes a game with Detroit. With how little I noticed the guy I was assuming he played 12 or less until I looked it up.)

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Hope this isn't the start of getting the gang back together (Ryan and LGD). I want one year signings we may get something for at the deadline. Sam ain't getting you nothin.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I'm not expecting Gagner to play 82 games. But 50-55 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

So if he's playing 55 games at 15:26 ATOI that is 55 games at 2nd/3rd line minutes less that could go to a youngster that needs that playing time to make those rookie mistakes and learn from them.

(Yeah, Gagner actually played 15 minutes a game with Detroit. With how little I noticed the guy I was assuming he played 12 or less until I looked it up.)
Same. I was surprised to see he was getting 15+ minutes a game. Because it sure didn't look like it out on the ice.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I trust Yzerman will actually play the younger players if they warrant it, unlike our “overripe” prior GM. So I don’t worry about Gagner taking a kids spot, it’s insurance in case the kid’s not ready
Coach makes the lineup decisions, it's not Yzerman who will "play the younger guys".

If Veleno/etc. aren't ready to outplay Gagner they aren't ready. Full stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad