Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I can see Monty for Holloway + 2nd + Campbell. For all of Soups troubles (and salary) all I read on the guy is that players love him, not the worst goalie to have as a back up or in the AHL.
Gotta b more….Edmonton is DESPERATE

MONTY for Holloway……sign me up
Campbell salary for 4yrs….thats Worth a 1st and 2nd

so…

Monty + 2024 3rd

for

Holloway, 2024 1st, 2025 2nd and Campbell

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Holloway has not proven anything that shows he has potential. I would be weary of trading for him.
100% right, you’re going for potential and I believe the potential is there.

One could say that Monty hasn’t proven he’s worth that type of haul and that he could thrive as a #1 but that’s the chance EDMONTON would take.

We’ve done it with Dach, done it with Newhook….i believe reuniting Caufield and Holloway could pay off enormously.

It could also blow up in our faces….I’d roll the dice

Reactions: themilosh and Tyson

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Won't f***ing believe it if they trade Montembeault over Allen man

There's just NO way we can move forward with Allen, that contract must go go go
And who will take that contract?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Unless we're very confident in our goalie prospects, I'd keep Montembeault. He's hardly elite, but average goalies carry more currency than they did a few years ago. Quite a few teams are struggling because they can't find base-level reliable goaltending. Are we going to risk opening up a hole we can't easily fill?

Of course, if a GM overpays...

Reactions: Walrus26

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Unless we're very confident in our goalie prospects, I'd keep Montembeault. He's hardly elite, but average goalies carry more currency than they did a few years ago. Quite a few teams are struggling because they can't find base-level reliable goaltending. Are we going to risk opening up a hole we can't easily fill?

Is he average behind a contending type of team?
I think he is well above average and it's perplexing to me how little respect he gets on this board.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Is he average behind a contending type of team?
I think he is well above average and it's perplexing to me how little respect he gets on this board.
I like Montembeault and am happy to be convinced he could thrive on a stronger team. I'd like to see a consistent full season before judging whether he's our future 1A.

Reactions: Tyson

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Gotta b more….Edmonton is DESPERATE

MONTY for Holloway……sign me up
Campbell salary for 4yrs….thats Worth a 1st and 2nd

so…

Monty + 2024 3rd

for

Holloway, 2024 1st, 2025 2nd and Campbell
so basically what I proposed but we need EDM 1st this year? Would EDM take that, I'm not so sure but ofc id be happy with it.

I do agree that Holloway is a very calculated risk (high reward, low risk prospect) and the perfect age for our core group.

Reactions: jaffy27

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I wouldn’t say goaltending is the most difficult hole to fill. Elite goalies are hard to come by and teams usually never trade them if they have them much like top line centres and D. But Montembault isn’t that. We literally got him off waivers. Goaltending shouldn’t be a position we struggle to fill unless we have boneheads running our team that can’t access talent when it comes to the position like Edmonton and Toronto.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I like Montembeault and am happy to be convinced he could thrive on a stronger team. I'd like to see a consistent full season before judging whether he's our future 1A.
That stronger team would not be Edmonton!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I wouldn’t say goaltending is the most difficult hole to fill. Elite goalies are hard to come by and teams usually never trade them if they have them much like top line centres and D. But Montembault isn’t that. We literally got him off waivers. Goaltending shouldn’t be a position we struggle to fill unless we have boneheads running our team that can’t access talent when it comes to the position like Edmonton and Toronto.
Montembeault was in the same situation Primeau finds himself in. The difference is Florida tried to sneak him through waivers whereas Hughes didn't want to risk losing Primeau.

I remember a throw away goalie, I think his name was Hasek. Just because a player is picked up off waivers doesn't mean they don't have upside.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Montembeault was in the same situation Primeau finds himself in. The difference is Florida tried to sneak him through waivers whereas Hughes didn't want to risk losing Primeau.

I remember a throw away goalie, I think his name was Hasek. Just because a player is picked up off waivers doesn't mean they don't have upside.
Montembault isn’t Hasek. Lol but I think that example only furthers the point that there’s a bunch of different ways to get a good goalie. Montembault has been a sub .900 goalie in every league he’s played in. He’s not someone I’m willing to take a risk on if the money doesn’t make sense. He’s also someone I hope Hughes finds a way to keep if he can. Especially in the era where most teams like to run a two goalie system.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Montembault isn’t Hasek. Lol but I think that example only furthers the point that there’s a bunch of different ways to get a good goalie. Montembault has been a sub .900 goalie in every league he’s played in. He’s not someone I’m willing to take a risk on if the money doesn’t make sense. He’s also someone I hope Hughes finds a way to keep if he can. Especially in the era where most teams like to run a two goalie system.
No one knew that back then did they regarding Hasek? I didn't say Monty was Hasek. We don't truly know Monty's upside

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
No one knew that back then did they regarding Hasek? I didn't say Monty was Hasek. We don't truly know Monty's upside
I think his upside is more or less what we’ve seen the last year and some change. A goalie whose good as long as you don’t overuse him. My opinion is we’re seeing his ceiling right now. Like I said, I’m all good with bringing back Montembault as long as he’s paid like somebody whose a 1b/backup. I’m not overpaying him for his services however.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad