Confirmed with Link: Sam Carrick to be Signed by NYR (3 year / 1M per season)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
They didn't sign him, they traded for him in desperation after the trouba thing fell apart and they didn't have the cap space to actually land anyone they really wanted. Smith is not what he was and is a mod 6 guy at this point, not a player for the top line with the twins. Underwhelming at best with the Smith acquisition

I won’t believe this for a second. Trouba thing affected what Drury’s (not) done on defense. Spending big bucks on forwards (vs upgrading D) at this time doesn’t make sense.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Tanner Glass 2.0 ugh useless player signed 3 years. They could have given Cuylle PK time last season. They need to give Cuylle special team ice time this season. Carrick is not a need here. I don’t get Carrick’s purpose here. Why not play Edstrom in his spot. I doubt they signed a 13th forward to a 3 year deal. He is gonna get top 9 minutes if Chytil gets hurt.
He's really just 4th line insurance. Like Kevin Rooney. Or Riley Nash. Dryden Hunt, Ryan Carpenter, Tyler Pitlick. Worst case, he's sent to Hartford. Best case, he's filling in for a Jimmy Vesey type of role with added checking, fighting, toughness, and faceoff presence (please do your magic, Peca!)

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He's really just 4th line insurance. Like Kevin Rooney. Or Riley Nash. Dryden Hunt, Ryan Carpenter, Tyler Pitlick. Worst case, he's sent to Hartford. Best case, he's filling in for a Jimmy Vesey type of role with added checking, fighting, toughness, and faceoff presence (please do your magic, Peca!)

Didnt they learn from Tanner Glass. He should have gotten a 1 year deal. I doubt he was a big target on day 1 although he got signed early. Ugh this organization does not learn. Give Cuylle PK and PP time this season. Edstrom should be considered here too. Rempe as well. Rangers have young options. Thats why they have guys like Brodzinksi for vet leadership for cheap. I can see Carrick take a bonehead penalty and fans get on him early.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Tanner Glass 2.0 ugh useless player signed 3 years. They could have given Cuylle PK time last season. They need to give Cuylle special team ice time this season. Carrick is not a need here. I don’t get Carrick’s purpose here. Why not play Edstrom in his spot. I doubt they signed a 13th forward to a 3 year deal. He is gonna get top 9 minutes if Chytil gets hurt.

He throws big hits that lead to fights lol

Put him on a line with Rempe, he won’t be challenged as often. Hahahaha.
Carrick can play 4th line hockey. Way superior to Glass as a player.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Your 4th line generally doesn't even factor in.

There's that time Kevin Rooney basically lost game 5 against Tampa, but that's one isolated play. They typically just exist.

For that reason, I prefer my 4th line to be a bit toolboxy. A guy with skill that can move up if needed. A guy who can PK. Sure, a tough guy or an agitator, provided you can play them 9 minutes and not have to scramble lines to avoid them (not mentioning any names).

Carrick doesn't do f***ing anything, so there's that.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

There's that time Kevin Rooney basically lost game 5 against Tampa, but that's one isolated play. They typically just exist.

For that reason, I prefer my 4th line to be a bit toolboxy. A guy with skill that can move up if needed. A guy who can PK. Sure, a tough guy or an agitator, provided you can play them 9 minutes and not have to scramble lines to avoid them (not mentioning any names).

He gives momentum to the other team by losing fights. I can already see this happen. Rangers lead 3-0 and he fights Hathaway, Flyers have the momentum going forward and win the game 4-3.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Was going to like the post until your take on Carrick. You don't think he's going to PK or take defensive zone draws?

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Was going to like the post until your take on Carrick. You don't think he's going to PK or take defensive zone draws?
I think he's going to attempt to do those things.

His underlying numbers on the PK are awful.

He's decent at draws but I don't care about winning faceoffs if they're not leading to tangible results. The only stat that has value with no context at all is goals. With a player like Carrick, he's winning draws, and still putting up horrendous defensive outputs, so what are his draws doing?

Jimbo can kill penalties at least. So could Goodrow. They killed penalties in the sense that they actually made the other team's powerplay worse. Carrick kills penalties in the sense that he exists when his team is shorthanded.

Carrick is one of the worst regular defenders in the league, both at 5v5 and 4v5. He's a role player that can't do any role.

In one sense, it isn't a big deal, because like, is a "good" 4th liner having that much more impact? Probably not. In another sense, it's annoying, because better 4th liners than Carrick are the easiest thing in the world to find.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Awesome deal. Very cheap. Term is a year longer but if he can stay healthy and play the way he can, this would be a bargain

Upgrade over Brodstinksi so hopefully, Brodzinski will stay in Hartford all season this time around.

he will fit well here

I dont get why he was signed. Does this show they have no faith in Edstrom? He is Tanner Glass 2.0 🤮

Didnt they learn from Tanner Glass. He should have gotten a 1 year deal. I doubt he was a big target on day 1 although he got signed early. Ugh this organization does not learn. Give Cuylle PK and PP time this season. Edstrom should be considered here too. Rempe as well. Rangers have young options. Thats why they have guys like Brodzinksi for vet leadership for cheap. I can see Carrick take a bonehead penalty and fans get on him early.

Are you ok?

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
There’s no point comparing him to Tanner Glass because his contract can be waived and completely buried. Glass’s contract today would be equivalent to something like a $1.9M AAV.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

86tlk2.gif

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There’s no point comparing him to Tanner Glass because his contract can be waived and completely buried. Glass’s contract today would be equivalent to something like a $1.9M AAV.
You can't really compare anybody to Glass.

Carrick was a good AHL player and worse players probably still exist.

Tanner Glass was honest-to-God nowhere near an NHL player who got 900+ games based on vibes.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
You can't really compare anybody to Glass.

Carrick was a good AHL player and worse players probably still exist.

Tanner Glass was honest-to-God nowhere near an NHL player who got 900+ games based on vibes.
Whoda thunk it that reading about fighting bears could get you so far in the big leagues???

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think he's going to attempt to do those things.

His underlying numbers on the PK are awful.

He's decent at draws but I don't care about winning faceoffs if they're not leading to tangible results. The only stat that has value with no context at all is goals. With a player like Carrick, he's winning draws, and still putting up horrendous defensive outputs, so what are his draws doing?

Jimbo can kill penalties at least. So could Goodrow. They killed penalties in the sense that they actually made the other team's powerplay worse. Carrick kills penalties in the sense that he exists when his team is shorthanded.

Carrick is one of the worst regular defenders in the league, both at 5v5 and 4v5. He's a role player that can't do any role.

In one sense, it isn't a big deal, because like, is a "good" 4th liner having that much more impact? Probably not. In another sense, it's annoying, because better 4th liners than Carrick are the easiest thing in the world to find.

So in the last few years the Rangers have been bringing depth of this kind on one-year contracts. Carrick got not even one but two extra years beyond ‘24-‘25. Before Glass is (already) brought up - he’s an example from previous management, so I’m trying to understand the reason(s) for giving Carrick 3-year deal.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So in the last few years the Rangers have been bringing depth of this kind on one-year contracts. Carrick got not even one but two extra years beyond ‘24-‘25. Before Glass is (already) brought up - he’s an example from previous management, so I’m trying to understand the reason(s) for giving Carrick 3-year deal.
Even if you came up with one, I don't think it would be a good one.

They conceded that Goodrow was a bad contract by going to lengths to get rid of him, and then they follow that up with 3 years for a worse player.

Maybe they were able to beat somebody else's AAV by offering more years, but if you're in a bidding war for Sam Carrick, lose.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I would separate the reason from the actual player. I don't think the organization has much conference in the 4th line right now. They just parted with Goodrow. Jimmy Vesey just had one of the worst playoffs imaginable before getting injured. Matt Rempe is a project and there's no guarantee he's getting more than 30% of NHL games next season. Edstrom is a better player but they clearly want him using his body more. I think they want a vet on that line. I think Drury was hoping to not play this game year after year and hit a positive with a signing for 3 years that can come and go in the line-up for the 4th line. Unfortunately, he chose Carrick.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Even if you came up with one, I don't think it would be a good one.

They conceded that Goodrow was a bad contract by going to lengths to get rid of him, and then they follow that up with 3 years for a worse player.

Maybe they were able to beat somebody else's AAV by offering more years, but if you're in a bidding war for Sam Carrick, lose.

The 4C market this offseason SUCKED. Like really bad. By moving Goodrow which was a net positive, they opened a hole in the lineup. And it really exposed the lack of center depth in the organization as a whole. I'm not saying I love the player, but as a 4C he's serviceable. The team needs 5 capable NHL centers, at a minimum. Carrick and Brodzinski as the 4/5C's is fine, especially when comparing to what they could have done (overpaid via trade or via cap hit) for other bad options.

Reactions: Kendo

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They didn't sign him, they traded for him in desperation after the trouba thing fell apart and they didn't have the cap space to actually land anyone they really wanted. Smith is not what he was and is a mod 6 guy at this point, not a player for the top line with the twins. Underwhelming at best with the Smith acquisition
You stated he was the only addition which he is not. Smith is still an aquisition of a player than can put up 40-50 points on a team that managed 114 points last year. It was OK in my book considering the insane money and term given to some FA's.

Last edited:

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
This is depth signing and someone who's good at faceoffs. Yeah, we gave him too many years, but the cap hit is low enough to be buried in the AHL with little-to-no NHL cap hit.

As long as this guy isn't taking the spot of someone better, what's the issue? And if he is, that's on the coach. Doesn't make this some terrible signing. I suspect this is as much a Hartford signing as a NY one. In the Brodzinski mold.

Reactions: bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad