Confirmed with Link: Sam Carrick to be Signed by NYR (3 year / 1M per season)

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Literally. "Offensive black hole" as if $1M buys you offense.

The intellectual equivalent of a WFAN caller.
Less than that bought wheeler who was good just before he signed.

Last edited:

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Lomberg began his career in Calgary and is Canadian. Unfinished business perhaps.

I guess after he got his name on the cup winning takes a back seat and I can't blame anyone for that if you've already done it.

Must be nice to have a longer summer vacation and save some wear and tear on your body if your name is already on the thing

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Why does this remind me of the Tanner Glass signing. Hope Laviolette does not try him next to Mika and Kreider

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Carrick is not a good fighter but he does seem to fight a decent amount. Maybe Rempe can give him pointers on his grip because it's atrocious. Now that I know what to look for (Thanks George) it probably contributes to 80% of the punches he takes.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Carrick's about 6'0 190/200. Pretty much everyone he's fought fights fairly often and at least most of the time is bigger than he is. He's not a spot picker or a bully type player. He also steps in for teammates quite a lot. Fighting a guy like Olivier is fighting above his weight class. He's fought him at least twice. Could he be better....yeah but there's kind of a Brandon Prust thing going on with him. Not the biggest guy but always game. That almost always means he's a good teammate and as long as he hang okay as a 4th line guy he should be safe to make the team.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Carrick's about 6'0 190/200. Pretty much everyone he's fought fights fairly often and at least most of the time is bigger than he is. He's not a spot picker or a bully type player. He also steps in for teammates quite a lot. Fighting a guy like Olivier is fighting above his weight class. He's fought him at least twice. Could he be better....yeah but there's kind of a Brandon Prust thing going on with him. Not the biggest guy but always game. That almost always means he's a good teammate and as long as he hang okay as a 4th line guy he should be safe to make the team.
Yup. We all know Olivier is no joke. I think Prust was a good comparison for Carrick. A gamer MW who would fight anyone for a teammate.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yup. We all know Olivier is no joke. I think Prust was a good comparison for Carrick. A gamer MW who would fight anyone for a teammate.

I will say that Prust was probably a better fighter than Carrick. In the video above he takes on Olivier (who gave Rempe a real whipping) who was giving Janmark (a non-fighter) a lot of shit. He kind of gets overwhelmed but IMO he does land the best punch. As soon as Carrick switched positions with Janmark the fight was on. Sticking up for teammates is very Prust like. Going back even further in time that's Adam Graves too.

Reactions: bhamill and Riche16

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's nothing wrong with this signing, I just hate that THIS is the addition to the team for the coming season...

There's not a lot left as far as free agency. Guys like JVR, Sprong, Barabanov, Kylington, Ekblad if they want to go there with any of those. If they have any interest in any of them the Rangers are probably going to wait until after Lindgren's deal is worked out---might depend on what's left and how they feel about their team as it currently is. Also some chance they bring someone like that to training camp to see if they can win a contract.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I have always felt that Prust was EXACTLY what this team has been missing since his departure.

A lot is made out of "enforcer" or "deterrent" here.

It's much more about being a tough, fearless STANDUP teammate IMO

Another "Prust" would be huge IMO & if it's infectious then more power to it.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I have always felt that Prust was EXACTLY what this team has been missing since his departure.

A lot is made out of "enforcer" or "deterrent" here.

It's much more about being a tough, fearless STANDUP teammate IMO

Another "Prust" would be huge IMO & if it's infectious then more power to it.
It's an attitude that runs through the lineup, one guy can't do it but they can be a catalyst. Prust and even Boyle to so degree established that while they were here. Boyle was an awful fighter but he had an attitude that would carry through the roster. You can still see some of it in him even today through his media in his delivery.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
It's an attitude that runs through the lineup, one guy can't do it but they can be a catalyst. Prust and even Boyle to so degree established that while they were here. Boyle was an awful fighter but he had an attitude that would carry through the roster. You can still see some of it in him even today through his media in his delivery.
I always wanted Boyler to play to his size more but what he was as a teammate & his heart & toughness can't be diminished.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I dont get why he was signed. Does this show they have no faith in Edstrom? He is Tanner Glass 2.0 🤮

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
No it's not. They also signed Smith who could be a very good pickup.
They didn't sign him, they traded for him in desperation after the trouba thing fell apart and they didn't have the cap space to actually land anyone they really wanted. Smith is not what he was and is a mod 6 guy at this point, not a player for the top line with the twins. Underwhelming at best with the Smith acquisition

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Carrick is not a good fighter but he does seem to fight a decent amount. Maybe Rempe can give him pointers on his grip because it's atrocious. Now that I know what to look for (Thanks George) it probably contributes to 80% of the punches he takes.

Tanner Glass 2.0 ugh useless player signed 3 years. They could have given Cuylle PK time last season. They need to give Cuylle special team ice time this season. Carrick is not a need here. I don’t get Carrick’s purpose here. Why not play Edstrom in his spot. I doubt they signed a 13th forward to a 3 year deal. He is gonna get top 9 minutes if Chytil gets hurt.

He throws big hits that lead to fights lol

Last edited:

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
They didn't sign him, they traded for him in desperation after the trouba thing fell apart and they didn't have the cap space to actually land anyone they really wanted. Smith is not what he was and is a mod 6 guy at this point, not a player for the top line with the twins. Underwhelming at best with the Smith acquisition
I believe last year before the season started you warned everyone that Wheeler was overrated and that he was not the answer despite the low cost so I'd say you were on the mark with that.

I do think Smith will be better than Wheeler but that's not a high bar. Hopefully Carrick can outperform Goodrow which shouldn't be too hard either despite his uptick in the playoffs.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I believe last year before the season started you warned everyone that Wheeler was overrated and that he was not the answer despite the low cost so I'd say you were on the mark with that.

I do think Smith will be better than Wheeler but that's not a high bar. Hopefully Carrick can outperform Goodrow which shouldn't be too hard either despite his uptick in the playoffs.
Smith will be better than Wheeler but it's just infuriating seeing more assets out the window for more rentals and stop gap non-solutions. If we all remember properly most fans saw Wheeler as a 3rd line option when he signed here bc most figures kakko would get that top slot, I always felt Wheeler would end up there. Smith seems like he's destined to play with Mika and kreider, especially since Drury made the comment of getting a rw for them. Smith is the only two he's gotten so it appears the cycle continues...

Reactions: 80s Kid

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
So much more to it then a guy that loses more than he wins. Its about the willingness to stand in front of an opponent when called upon. Creates a bond with teammates. Its about knowing when to do it and when not to do it. How to do it w/out putting your team on PK.

Im expecting the same attributes that Goodrow brought to the team. Minus the faceoff dominance. Goodrow may have been hated mostly on the board here by posters, he was close with his teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad