Proposal: Sam Bennett for a young struggling high pedigree RHS center/winger

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Generally hate these "our struggling youngster for yours" type of deals when I see them pop up, but I'd take the chance on Bennett at the cost of Strome or Dal Colle.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kuznetsov and Nate Schmidt for Brodie and Bennett?

Brodie brings back those two pieces on his own and more so that's an easy pass for the Flames. Not sure when Nate Schmidt gained that kind of value.

This is not bad.

Haha yes it is. All Bjugstad satisfies is big, right handed and struggling. Although at some point you have to call a spade and spade and just cut ties and admit that he is what he is. He lacks any more than maybe 2nd line upside if he was to realize his potential. Bennett, if he was to stay this way the rest of his career, is a better player. Not to mention the upside that any "educated" Flames fan, or other fan, realize.

Generally hate these "our struggling youngster for yours" type of deals when I see them pop up, but I'd take the chance on Bennett at the cost of Strome or Dal Colle.

Of course you would. Dal Colle will be lucky if he ever sees NHL ice for any significant period of time and Strome has done nothing after his rookie year to warrant that kind of player back. I'd love to take a chance on Strome but not at that price.

People need to take a step back and realize that this is Bennett without even playing high end hockey like most people know he can. He is still better than all the people being offered up even at that level. Just wait until he rounds out his game, develops his offensive game and puts it all together. He is going to be one heck of a player. If you haven't seen Doug Gilmour, that's what you're getting in Bennett when he tops out.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Sam shows signs of being a great, great player. He is going to be a Ryan Kesler type and we need to let him become that.

This team is a top ten team and we're a very young team. Relax people.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Sam shows signs of being a great, great player. He is going to be a Ryan Kesler type and we need to let him become that.

This team is a top ten team and we're a very young team. Relax people.

Last 10-15 games I've been thrilled with Bennett's play. He's slowing down, showing great puck control and protection, and has been very dangerous. He's really figured out how to get out of corners with the puck and get it too the defense. His offensive zone time is going way up. Only problem is he shoots at the goalies chest every time.

He's going to be our Captain in 6 years.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Of course you would. Dal Colle will be lucky if he ever sees NHL ice for any significant period of time and Strome has done nothing after his rookie year to warrant that kind of player back. I'd love to take a chance on Strome but not at that price.

People need to take a step back and realize that this is Bennett without even playing high end hockey like most people know he can. He is still better than all the people being offered up even at that level. Just wait until he rounds out his game, develops his offensive game and puts it all together. He is going to be one heck of a player. If you haven't seen Doug Gilmour, that's what you're getting in Bennett when he tops out.

Beggers can be choosers I guess :laugh:

Strome's hit 50 points and Bennett has come nowhere close to that mark. He's also outscoring Bennett this year in less games despite playing half the season with a coach that hated him. Dal Colle will likely join the team next year depending on how the expansion draft goes.

Cute though that you believe you can trade your struggling young player (who'll develop into Doug Gilmour apparently) and not have to settle for other struggling young players.

But never fear, just pull out the oldest trick in the hfboards book - "I don't care how poorly my guy is doing, he will exceed expectations and yours will be lucky to ever see NHL ice!" One draft position apart and Bennett = next Doug Gilmore, while Dal Colle = decent chance of never playing an NHL game in his life.

I tend to find people who are intelligent about hockey rarely default to the whole "my prospects will flourish yours will bust lololol" argument, but that's just my experience ;)

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

Strome's hit 50 points and Bennett has come nowhere close to that mark. He's also outscoring Bennett this year in less games despite playing half the season with a coach that hated him. Dal Colle will likely join the team next year depending on how the expansion draft goes.

Cute though that you believe you can trade your struggling young player (who'll develop into Doug Gilmour apparently) and not have to settle for other struggling young players.

But never fear, just pull out the oldest trick in the hfboards book - "I don't care how poorly my guy is doing, he will exceed expectations and yours will be lucky to ever see NHL ice!" One draft position apart and Bennett = next Doug Gilmore, while Dal Colle = decent chance of never playing an NHL game in his life.

I tend to find people who are intelligent about hockey rarely default to the whole "my prospects will flourish yours will bust lololol" argument, but that's just my experience ;)

Bennett is playing on the 3rd line and getting 0 PP time. I think he's ultimately going to be a good player. I'm just not sure where he's going to fit on the Flames.

I don't really see a point in trading him as the return won't be what it should be. Better to just hold onto him and let him continue to develop.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
He actually got put on the 2nd PP unit over Frolik last night. Looked good.

First unit is still a disaster though.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

You should be thrilled to keep him them.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Bennett is playing on the 3rd line and getting 0 PP time. I think he's ultimately going to be a good player. I'm just not sure where he's going to fit on the Flames.

I don't really see a point in trading him as the return won't be what it should be. Better to just hold onto him and let him continue to develop.

There's a difference between saying "I think our guy will ultimately be a good player" and "I think our guy will ultimately be a good player, and by the way your guy will be lucky to ever make the NHL".

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why would we destroy an area of need for an area of strength? I'd do it if Backlund can be moved for a #3 LHD, but even then I'm iffy about it.

So Brodie is a #3? Is that what this is getting at? If that's the case then whoever is dealing for him to be a #3 is stacked on D. Oh, or is that because the Flames are lucky enough to have 3 top pairing dman as their top 3 and so Brodie gets devalued to a #3? Really?

We should start by asking why again do the Flames deal the player who has been their best player all year and should be up for the Selke? If the return on Backlund is a #3 then Treliving should hang up the phone.

I really think you need to listen to what people are saying when they suggest you avoid posting anything about the Flames. You are always so far off.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I'll gladly indulge. Strome is a soft, one way player who doesn't go into the dirty areas and doesn't do anything outside of the offensive zone to be effective. Even with that he has struggled the last 2 years to do anything offensively. He had 50 points as a rookie and has come nowhere near it since.

Comments like you make show exactly how much of Bennett you've seen this year. Struggling offensively does not mean a player isn't developing. Watch Bennett play some hockey first and then you tell me you would honestly not bank on him realizing his potential. His play in all 3 zones has developed significantly and over the last month or so he has once again shown the offensive ability he has. I could care less about his points this year. He has played the year learning to be a complete player and is doing it well. People said the same things about Kadri and now he is a 30 goal scorer.

Sorry to blow apart your brilliant breakdown but you have no clue what you're talking about. Nice assumptions though about why I made the comments I did. You definitely proved plenty with doing it.

P.S. I don't want to deal Bennett. I'm going to gladly watch Doug Gilmour 2.0 for the next 15 years in a Flames jersey but I don't know what I'm talking about or don't watch any actual Flames hockey so don't bother with what I say.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There's a difference between saying "I think our guy will ultimately be a good player" and "I think our guy will ultimately be a good player, and by the way your guy will be lucky to ever make the NHL".

I never realized people can form opinions? Sorry, I missed that memo. What about Dal Colle's game should have me thinking he's anything more than a fringe NHLer? His drive and willingness have been questioned since the day he was drafted and I see nothing and have heard nothing that says much of that has change. He produces a decent amount of points and sure that'll find him in the NHL but I see nothing more than a 3rd line at best. He isn't someone I would go anywhere near. Unfortunately, the problems in New York are common. Seems most young players that end up there don't develop.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

To be fair, we're not begging someone to take Bennett off our hands as OP suggests. His wording is poor and other Flames fans have mentioned we aren't dumping Bennett. To explain...

What we Flames fans are staring at top 9 wise:

JG - Mony - PLUG
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
PLUG - Bennett - Brouwer

Bennett is a good 2LW at this point in time. Not great, but we're still seeing development so that's a good sign. That is our perceived floor for him (2LW) with a possible 1C upside. Realistically, we think he should at least develop into a 2C.

Problem: Frolik is a left shot RW. Mony and Backlund are both left shot C. We have 6 left shot shooters in our top 6. Brouwer has been tried there and hasn't worked out.

If we could trade Bennett for a right hand 1/2 RW we'd fill in that ridiculous 1RW hole which is filled by guys such as Chiasson on occasion. Ferland fits there at 1RW at times, but he's another left hand shot.

What OP's idea actually is, is that we're not begging someone to take Bennett. We're looking into options of moving him to fill the RW hole now vs waiting till Bennett develops into a player that knocks someone out of the top 6. There have been a few proposals that pique the interest of some fans, and that's I guess what we're looking for. See if there's a match for an exchange of players that fills needs for two teams.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I get that Flames fans would not be happy with this proposal, but I feel that it's going to solve a team need instead of waiting for a franchise or bust type of player to develop on a team that already overshadows his position (Left handed shot center).

Sam Bennett is a great prospect, and I think he still has a very high ceiling. Problem is he has not shown any progress this year and I get it's just a Sophomore slump, but his style can get reckless and dangerous out in the West, and overall I think with the Flames center depth, we can trade Bennett for a similar pedigree RHS winger or center that is also struggling. What I want coming back for Bennett is a RHS winger or center who is at the absolute most 36 months older than Bennett, and was drafted 12th overall or above (In drafting sense not numerical), who also has a lot of potential but is struggling.

Anyone out there?

Bennett for Byron :laugh:

Seriously maybe something around Gallagher.

We do not have a lot of RHS player. The other one would be McCarron but we would have to add.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'll gladly indulge. Strome is a soft, one way player who doesn't go into the dirty areas and doesn't do anything outside of the offensive zone to be effective. Even with that he has struggled the last 2 years to do anything offensively. He had 50 points as a rookie and has come nowhere near it since.

Comments like you make show exactly how much of Bennett you've seen this year. Struggling offensively does not mean a player isn't developing. Watch Bennett play some hockey first and then you tell me you would honestly not bank on him realizing his potential. His play in all 3 zones has developed significantly and over the last month or so he has once again shown the offensive ability he has. I could care less about his points this year. He has played the year learning to be a complete player and is doing it well. People said the same things about Kadri and now he is a 30 goal scorer.

Sorry to blow apart your brilliant breakdown but you have no clue what you're talking about. Nice assumptions though about why I made the comments I did. You definitely proved plenty with doing it.

P.S. I don't want to deal Bennett. I'm going to gladly watch Doug Gilmour 2.0 for the next 15 years in a Flames jersey but I don't know what I'm talking about or don't watch any actual Flames hockey so don't bother with what I say.

I never realized people can form opinions? Sorry, I missed that memo. What about Dal Colle's game should have me thinking he's anything more than a fringe NHLer? His drive and willingness have been questioned since the day he was drafted and I see nothing and have heard nothing that says much of that has change. He produces a decent amount of points and sure that'll find him in the NHL but I see nothing more than a 3rd line at best. He isn't someone I would go anywhere near. Unfortunately, the problems in New York are common. Seems most young players that end up there don't develop.

Ah yes, another classic hfboards argument.

I clearly don't know a single thing about Sam Bennett so any opinions I form on him are irrelevant.

You, however, have seen far more game tape on both Strome & Dal Colle than I, and can absolutely share your (extremely negative) opinions on another team's prospects. Watch a lot of Bridgeport Sound Tigers games when the Flames aren't playing, are ya?

Of course, the final summary is always the same: my prospects are soooo much better than yours oh my god you can't even compare them. Somehow you experts who understand every prospect's potential always seem to favor your own prospects, funny how that works.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
To be fair, we're not begging someone to take Bennett off our hands as OP suggests. His wording is poor and other Flames fans have mentioned we aren't dumping Bennett. To explain...

What we Flames fans are staring at top 9 wise:

JG - Mony - PLUG
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
PLUG - Bennett - Brouwer

Bennett is a good 2LW at this point in time. Not great, but we're still seeing development so that's a good sign. That is our perceived floor for him (2LW) with a possible 1C upside. Realistically, we think he should at least develop into a 2C.

Problem: Frolik is a left shot RW. Mony and Backlund are both left shot C. We have 6 left shot shooters in our top 6. Brouwer has been tried there and hasn't worked out.

If we could trade Bennett for a right hand 1/2 RW we'd fill in that ridiculous 1RW hole which is filled by guys such as Chiasson on occasion. Ferland fits there at 1RW at times, but he's another left hand shot.

What OP's idea actually is, is that we're not begging someone to take Bennett. We're looking into options of moving him to fill the RW hole now vs waiting till Bennett develops into a player that knocks someone out of the top 6. There have been a few proposals that pique the interest of some fans, and that's I guess what we're looking for. See if there's a match for an exchange of players that fills needs for two teams.

I've seen more than enough "we want Ryan Strome but at a severe discount" proposals to understand exactly where you're coming from not wanting to move Bennett at low value. He's still 20 so even if he's had a rough start there's plenty of time to turn his game around.

But his start is still a rough one, and doing things like proclaiming Bennett the next Doug Gilmour and Dal Colle "lucky to reach the NHL" are beyond idiotic considering the circumstances of both players.

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards

The 35 point Doug Gilmour, what a player that is. Maybe you could swing a deal for Nylander or Ehlers with that kind of potential.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I've seen more than enough "we want Ryan Strome but at a severe discount" proposals to understand exactly where you're coming from not wanting to move Bennett at low value. He's still 20 so even if he's had a rough start there's plenty of time to turn his game around.

But his start is still a rough one, and doing things like proclaiming Bennett the next Doug Gilmour and Dal Colle "lucky to reach the NHL" are beyond idiotic considering the circumstances of both players.

I don't get why everyone claims Dal Colle is a bust. He's only 20, and he's got a .5 ppg pace in the AHL. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I liked what I saw of MDC during that draft. He, Bennett and Virtanen are in a wonky stage, but IMO all are too early to call a bust. There are definitely concerns that there may have been better options at that pick in a redraft, but not something you could have predicted at that draft with certainty at the time.

Bennett as the next Doug Gilmour comparison is one from Bennett himself. It's the guy he idolized, it's the guy that coached him and thus he tries to play like him. On the Flames board, it has been mused that Bennett's style of play isn't matching his skill set. Some have been calling it a possible hockey IQ issue, but I'm wondering if it's a little bit more stubborn stupidity at this point. Others call his struggles due to the harder role, younger age, missed year of development and probably mistake of bulking up too much this off season. He could possibly figure out how to play like Gilmour since he should have the skills and smarts to do it, or one day he could decide to play the game his skill set allows him to play. Either way, one of those two options is pretty exciting.

But back on topic, moving Bennett is for the following reasons:

1. Moving him disrupts the core the least
2. Good value piece to get the piece we need
3. His floor is an excess need (2LW behind Tkachuk and Gaudreau)
4. Even if he makes it into the top 6, not a RH shot.
5. Moving him from an area of bounty can save us around 2-3 (arbitrary guess) years of middling around and getting a proper 1RW of the right age who can build chemistry and familiarity with the core.
6. Some of our fans think Jankowski is going to be able to steal the 3C position as soon as next season. Bennett at LW doesn't do anything for us.

Reasons not to move him:

1. Value low/bad use of assets
2. Not well developed yet (Missed season, coaching change, age etc.)
3. Bad optics (highest pick in Calgary Flames history; ignoring Atlanta Flames), still has lots of potential
4. Guaranteed NHL player (Low end middle 6, high end top line) of skill set who would be a ROYAL pain in the rump to play against for a decade.
5. He still has some potential at C vs some other players who look very obviously to be wingers. That being said, Sam possibly could become a career winger.

I agree with you. The argument is like this: If you cannot move player for an obvious upgrade in a position of need, then why move him? Strome is like that for your organization and I'm guessing he's more winger than C and thus cannot fill in that 2C need you have.

Strome is an interesting piece for sure, but obviously depends on price. Treliving loves holding out for deals, and you have no reason to take a discount.

Random: I think Strome has been around Dougie Hamilton during their Niagra Icedogs days... but I haven't double checked.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bennett for Grigorenko? Set a career year in goals despite being on one of the worst offensive clubs in a VERY long time.

Has trouble in terms of not wanting to get hit, but easily more talented player than Sam is. Might find some more physicality under a Burke's truculent team.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Bennett for Grigorenko? Set a career year in goals despite being on one of the worst offensive clubs in a VERY long time.

Has trouble in terms of not wanting to get hit, but easily more talented player than Sam is. Might find some more physicality under a Burke's truculent team.

Not really interested in Grigorenko, I doubt he's going to find any bravery no matter what team he's on.

Way too soon to give up or move Bennett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad