Proposal: Sam Bennett for a young struggling high pedigree RHS center/winger

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Okay bud, he's as bad as the Oilers fans(you and Mc) Bennett isn't worth those players, but you talk about points like that's all hockey is about? Lol

It is, unless you're able to provide elite defense. Bennett is neither great defensively nor even adequate offensively, however. He's just sort of there.

Bennett has been improving his all around game, he's becoming like Backlund

And you'd get neither Tavares or MacKinnon for Backlund, sorry. If that's his ceiling... oi.

but I believe he'll be getting some points soon, he was better last year in points but not as good in his all around game, he's improved in his all around game therefore his points go down, he needs to put it all together, he could become Kopitar/Bergy in a few years, and honestly I think the Flames can sign him to like a 3-5 year 2-4 m contract and we'd be able to keep our core together

Kopitar, age 20: 82 GP, 77 pts
Bergeron, age 20: 81 GP, 73 pts

To become a Kopitar or Bergeron, he'd again need to meld elite defense (which he doesn't have) with above-average offense (which he sure as **** doesn't have). The odds a player adds both after the age of 21 are very, very small.

To compare Bennett to one of his peers, the guy picked right before him in the 2014 Draft is closer to following the Kopitar/Bergeron path:

Leon Draisaitl, age 20: 81 GP, 75 pts

It goes without saying that Bennett is a far cry from even being at Draisaitl's level when it comes to offensive output. Historically speaking, he's closer to Matt Stajan (0.39 PPG vs. 0.47 PPG) than Bergeron, Kopitar or Draisaitl at the same age- and you're not getting John freakin' Tavares for a 20-year-old Matt Stajan clone either.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It is, unless you're able to provide elite defense. Bennett is neither great defensively nor even adequate offensively, however. He's just sort of there.

And you'd get neither Tavares or MacKinnon for Backlund, sorry. If that's his ceiling... oi.

Kopitar, age 20: 82 GP, 77 pts
Bergeron, age 20: 81 GP, 73 pts

To become a Kopitar or Bergeron, he'd again need to meld elite defense (which he doesn't have) with above-average offense (which he sure as **** doesn't have). The odds a player adds both after the age of 21 are very, very small.

To compare Bennett to one of his peers, the guy picked right before him in the 2014 Draft is closer to following the Kopitar/Bergeron path:

Leon Draisaitl, age 20: 81 GP, 75 pts

It goes without saying that Bennett is a far cry from even being at Draisaitl's level when it comes to offensive output. Historically speaking, he's closer to Matt Stajan (0.39 PPG vs. 0.47 PPG) than Bergeron, Kopitar or Draisaitl at the same age- and you're not getting John freakin' Tavares for a 20-year-old Matt Stajan clone either.

Agreed, Bennett is probably not going to be Kopitar or Bergeron. He needs to take a giant step next year to get any closer to that.

But the guy that was picked ahead of him is not neither...he got lucky riding McDavid's coat tail...so dont spill that ******** too much...I am sure Bennett's number would be much better with McDavid instead of Alex Chaisson or Lance Bouma

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Holy ****. :laugh:

The guy has 26 points- count 'em. 26. He's not worth anything close to Tavares or MacKinnon, nor about 30 other players.

The only guy I'd move Nurse for is Karlsson or Burns. The largest area he struggles in his production.

See how stupid that sounds? That's you right now.

I named 2 players that I would move Bennett for, now because it appears you are having trouble here, I'll spell it out for you. I don't want to trade Bennett, at all. Unless we are getting a homerun of a deal in return, I don't want to see him go anywhere, for the reasons I mentioned in the rest of my post. But go ahead and select a portion of it to conveniently fit your argument.

Also let's not pretend that MacKinnon has been playing to his potential either. I agree he and Tavares are worth more than Bennett, but that would be the foundational piece I'd start with to get talks going. If the other teams had no interest, I'm more than happy to hold onto him.

Also your post is extremely flawed. Development is not linear with any player. It's entirely plausible that Bennett continues to progress over the next 4 seasons to match or even exceed Leon's level. While you might not think that's probable, it's definitely possible and I am extremely encouraged by the things I'm seeing in Bennett's game. There's also far more to his game than just skill and offence, he's a very rare breed of player when looking at all of his attributes and I actually see his projection to be a player very similar to Kesler.

Speaking of which, Kesler needed a few good years of development to really make an impact and I see Bennett trending in the same direction. If he records over 50pts next season I'll be extremely happy.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I named 2 players that I would move Bennett for

"Scarlett Johansson and Kate Upton. There, I named two women I'd sleep with. Never mind I have no realistic shot at either and there are about 100 other similarly unattainable targets I'd have to include on that list, but that doesn't matter. I named two."

now because it appears you are having trouble here, I'll spell it out for you. I don't want to trade Bennett, at all. Unless we are getting a homerun of a deal in return, I don't want to see him go anywhere, for the reasons I mentioned in the rest of my post. But go ahead and select a portion of it to conveniently fit your argument.

Nobody's having any trouble here. You're just being a massive homer. That's all.

Also let's not pretend that MacKinnon has been playing to his potential either.

If MacKinnon has not been "playing to his potential", what on earth do you call Bennett's lackluster start to his career? You're not just throwing stones while living in a glass house, you're using a catapult to fling boulders.

I agree he and Tavares are worth more than Bennett, but that would be the foundational piece I'd start with to get talks going.

No talks would get going ever for either player with Bennett as the "foundational piece". Sorry to ruin your fantasies.

Also your post is extremely flawed. Development is not linear with any player. It's entirely plausible that Bennett continues to progress over the next 4 seasons to match or even exceed Leon's level.

It's also entirely plausible Anton Slepyshev continues developing to the point he surpasses Gaudreau as a winger. However, would I ever waste one second of my life ever contemplating that possibility? No, because it's ridiculous.

While you might not think that's probable, it's definitely possible and I am extremely encouraged by the things I'm seeing in Bennett's game.

Yes, and I'm sure what you're seeing is not at all influenced by the jersey he's wearing. But carry on.

There's also far more to his game than just skill and offence

Which Bennett doesn't really have either of in elite quantities...

he's a very rare breed of player when looking at all of his attributes and I actually see his projection to be a player very similar to Kesler.

And "prime" Kesler (all two years' worth) was still not a player the Isles or Avs would have contemplated trading for their franchise player, so you're still way off in homerland.

Speaking of which, Kesler needed a few good years of development to really make an impact and I see Bennett trending in the same direction. If he records over 50pts next season I'll be extremely happy.

That would be a start, but again, still not a player you'd get Tavares or MacKinnon for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad