George Richards Sam Bennett: Contract Negotiations

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Different circumstances, loads more available capspace available when Reino signed if I remember right

On the contrary, the cap squeeze was absolutely brutal this past off-season. That's why they were able to sign Reinhart and then a bunch of guys at league minimum. You know they would have loved to keep Tommy Stenlund and the Lombo at those very reasonable prices, and they could not.

Even after Reinhart signed a very team friendly contract, they couldn't afford to sign any replacements for more than league minimum.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
If Bennett continues playing like this and remain healthy, no way we can afford him in the future, even with a discount

He will continue, and we will afford him.

They said that about Reino too.

Beat me to it. And it will end up the same. With a happy fan-base, and a pretty big paycheck going to the soul of our team ! ;)

Different circumstances, loads more available capspace available when Reino signed if I remember right

We are tight next summer, but last one was wayyyyy tighter, so not true… After the summer 25’, we will be pretty okay going forward !

FloridaMan

May 24, 2024
Every day I hope for good news, but I heard Kyper say the other day that the deal is nowhere close to the number Bennett’s side wants. Benny is in the best possible situation to negotiate. A 29 year old Stanley Cup champion after two great playoff runs, this is his best (and pretty much last) chance to go after the bag. Seeing the recent contracts Zito has given out, I think Benny is aiming for a Verhaeghe-like deal, and I really hope Zito can work his magic, because if not, Benny will most likely end up playing against us in our own division. Toronto will throw Tavares money at him without a blink. And of course, a Cup repeat will make him as good as gone, we simply won’t be able to afford him.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Every day I hope for good news, but I heard Kyper say the other day that the deal is nowhere close to the number Bennett’s side wants. Benny is in the best possible situation to negotiate. A 29 year old Stanley Cup champion after two great playoff runs, this is his best (and pretty much last) chance to go after the bag. Seeing the recent contracts Zito has given out, I think Benny is aiming for a Verhaeghe-like deal, and I really hope Zito can work his magic, because if not, Benny will most likely end up playing against us in our own division. Toronto will throw Tavares money at him without a blink. And of course, a Cup repeat will make him as good as gone, we simply won’t be able to afford him.

This is the direct consequence of Viola saying that he's the soul of this team. Hoping for 6.5mil per but I could see Benny getting 7.5mil from Zito. imo in the open market he could fetch ~9mil per from any team that needs a center and has money to spend.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

People are still listening to Kypreos for insider informations ? Meh…

It may go down the wire, but it will get done.

I do have a feeling it will be sooner rather than later !

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I think it can get done, but will likely come down to the wire if it does.

From my perspective, it looks like the team will have to choose between spending market value on Top 4 D, or keeping Sam Bennett and going bargain bin hunting at the blue line again. My personal preference would be the latter, but the thing is, I am not Bill Zito. My preference for Bennett and the rummage sale is influenced by my observation that Bill Zito and his staff are absolutely unparalleled at finding value pickups on defense.

One thing that does give me a little bit of hope is the knowledge that this team seems to genuinely understand the dynamics of roster construction and the salary cap. I have said many times over the years that one should never count on numbers (i.e. the salary cap) always going up, but I think there are a lot of outside factors right now that indicate the cap will indeed be seeing a big bump over the next five or six years. If that holds, the Panthers will be in EXCELLENT position going forward with these contracts, and are in better position to offer Bennett a little more than the team would have liked.

We'll see. I'm ready for disappointment, but I think we can all be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Need to give max term to Benny or he walks imo. That way another team has to severely overpay to make him leave. Give him the Carter deal.

Reactions: Ratsreign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad