Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He does make a good point though.

If Maatta is traded an impact player needs to come back. Whether that be a wing, center or another defenseman. If the Penguins trade Maatta, I'd hope they'd have a trade lined up for someone like Jason Demers.

I completely agree.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Here are the tweets and the Letang part sounds like ********.

He also had this gem recently but the lack of interest is a convenient excuse for him not being traded.

I went on his twitter for you people.

I wouldn't be shocked if they pair him with Cole and Cole plays the right side. Maata-Schultz is a possible pairing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For what's it worth and I'm sure it's not alot. But I was very impressed with him against the caps. I watched alot of leafs games this year because they were very exciting with all the youngsters. And personally I loved the signing. I wasn't pegging him for top 4 duty however. We'll see things could be worse,I trust this staff at this point.

It sounds like he was just really good down the stretch last year. Like really good. But he was similarly bad at the start of last year. Here's hoping Martin and Gonchar can steady him out a bit.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

I'm not putting the guy down, but at this exact same time - we had a user on HF telling us to "think Peyton Manning" when it comes with Letang. At the exact same time this tweet came out.

I don't believe the final run of tests on his neck had been done yet, had they? Until the results of those came back, it seemed everyone believed he would be ready to go for the playoffs. Like I said, on his radio show, he hinted at Letang being done before the org made the announcement. I remember it being just a day or two after the talk of him just being near ready to return.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hunwick isn't a guy to replace Maatta in the top-4, Hunwick is the guy that's going to replace Cole when Cole walks as a free agent after next season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

He also had this gem recently but the lack of interest is a convenient excuse for him not being traded.

So Dumoulin and Cole no longer exist?

I'd assumed those two would be paired with Letang and Schultz, respectively, with Maatta and Hunwick making up the final pairing.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

Someone on here did also talk about Kessel. Not that it was likely but had been mentioned as a sell high situation (and that he drove the coaches nuts but his teammates loved him).

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I wouldn't be shocked if they pair him with Cole and Cole plays the right side. Maata-Schultz is a possible pairing.

They have a lot of options with that group if they're ever all healthy.

LD: Dumoulin, Maatta
RD: Letang, Schultz
LD/RD: Cole, Hunwick
Idk if Ruhwedel can play LD. I want to say he can or they don't care that much?

I don't want to ever see Hunwick or Cole with Letang but other than that there's flexibility.

brain farts are something we are damn well accustomed to at this point :laugh:

Every ****ing defenseman on this team for years but it's worked out alright. :laugh:

It'll keep Murray sharp and give niemi flashbacks.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
I don't believe the final run of tests on his neck had been done yet, had they? Until the reaults of those came back, it seemed everyone believed he would be ready to go for the playoffs. Like I said, on his radio show, he hinted at Letang being done before the org made the announcement.

I also think sometimes whoever his sources are,try to put a pirates pr spin on things. I remember him being the first to hint Neal was gonna be dealt and possibly asked to be. Then Neal tweeting him in show telling him that's absolutely not true he's never asked for a trade.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Hunwick isn't a guy to replace Maatta in the top-4, Hunwick is the guy that's going to replace Cole when Cole walks as a free agent after next season.

Exactly. Cole will get a decent contract, too much for us to pay him as a bottom pair defender.

That's why the Hunwick move wasn't bad. Pretty good bottom pair D locked up at a decent caphit to replace Cole.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So Dumoulin and Cole no longer exist?

I'd assumed those two would be paired with Letang and Schultz, respectively, with Maatta and Hunwick making up the final pairing.

Clearly Dumoulin or the guy who was with Schultz this season will be pushed down by Hunwick. Makes perfect sense.

Right now I'd assume that DL, CS, MH is very possible. Maybe they try MS or DS and ML but who knows. Maybe MC happens and we can make puns. Maybe we never see the full group. I want to see what happens if they stick Maatta with a more defensive guy for awhile and tell him to go be offensive.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Exactly. Cole will get a decent contract, too much for us to pay him as a bottom pair defender.

That's why the Hunwick move wasn't bad. Pretty good bottom pair D locked up at a decent caphit to replace Cole.

If we're going a lower end 3C, I'd be fine moving Cole as part of it. We don't need muscle back there if we control the puck.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Madden is barely above Eklund on the credibility scale. He talks to a couple people in the org, but he's going to say whatever fits his agenda.

Hunwick wasn't brought in as a top 4 guy and Kessel isn't going anywhere and it's not because no-one wants him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
From everything I've read about Hunwick, he seems to do much better when his minutes are limited to the bottom pairing. Of course, anything's possible if Gonch and Sully work with him a bit, but it'd be premature to look at him as any kind of Maatta replacement.

Cole seems like a more reasonable top 4 option at this point.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
When's the arbitration deadline? The 5th?

I guess Sheary and Dumo will file unless they are very close to a deal.

I wonder if the team takes Sheary to arbitration. I could see him wanting too much and the team wanting a one year deal to show he can keep up the play and not get healthy scratched again.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
From everything I've read about Hunwick, he seems to do much better when his minutes are limited to the bottom pairing. Of course, anything's possible if Gonch and Sully work with him a bit, but it'd be premature to look at him as any kind of Maatta replacement.

Cole seems like a more reasonable top 4 option at this point.

Teams always talk up their acquisitions, but JR said he looks at him as a more defensive Daley replacement.

The guy did play 25 minutes in the playoffs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd much rather trade Maatta for a C and extend Cole. Cole is very underrated and Maatta really is too slow for our style of play.

I'm beginning to think the opposite here.

No one saw easier opposition than Cole last season out of our regular defence. He's an okay puck mover, but nothing great. He takes a lot of stupid penalties.

I like having him here, he's been good for us, but our next fixture on the top 4 he should not be.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I'd much rather trade Maatta for a C and extend Cole. Cole is very underrated and Maatta really is too slow for our style of play.

I wouldn't pay Cole much more than he's getting. He isn't a guy you want to count on as a top 4 D man. He's an excellent #5 and can move up to fill in when need be but expecting him to succeed in a top 4 role and paying him over 3mil is a risk we don't need to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad