Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to Free Agency (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I get the feeling we're going to get Skinner. With the Hurricane connection and JR talking about balancing the line-up, he seems like a guy we're locked into.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sprong is a complete unknown at the NHL level. We would have a much better idea of his potential if Sullivan hadn’t been such a schmuck. But you have to consider moving him in order to win now.

If you're moving Sprong you can't move Kessel though, and vice versa.

Reactions: Riptide

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If you prefer Sheary, Empo, one stance you could take is that you think it's worth gambling that he'll get his '16-'17 regular season groove back.

I don't think that's a good gamble considering how useless he was last year and how the roster's constructed moving forward, but at least that position makes some sense. Saying last year's version of Sheary is basically a pick 'em with far more well-rounded wingers who produced the same or better doesn't.

Except if that's the case, I'd much rather have 2016 ' playoff groove' Hagelin.

Heck, I'd rather have 2016 'playoff groove' Rust, who was good for 150% of Sheary's goals and was part of the playoffs best possession line.

As for 2016 'playoff groove' Sheary? I'll take Guentzel over him.

Numbers from the last two years.

Numbers from 2016.

Eye test.

The 'who makes a line or superstar better' question.

However you gauge it, Sheary is the guy who an organization should prefer to move first.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
IF we are trading one of Rust/Sheary for cap space, trade Sheary.

IF we are trading one of Rust/Sheary for a better player, trade Rust.

Fact is that Rust has more value, so other teams will want that. But if we are trading one just for cap space, I’m fine dumping Sheary.

Reactions: CoyoteSkyDiver

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sprong is a complete unknown at the NHL level. We would have a much better idea of his potential if Sullivan hadn’t been such a schmuck. But you have to consider moving him in order to win now.

I'm honestly surprised he wasn't moved last year for that reason.

I think the reason is obvious . . . other teams have 2-4 guys like Sprong in their organization. So, he's not quite the trade chip people think.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
IF we are trading one of Rust/Sheary for cap space, trade Sheary.

IF we are trading one of Rust/Sheary for a better player, trade Rust.

Fact is that Rust has more value, so other teams will want that. But if we are trading one just for cap space, I’m fine dumping Sheary.

But, IF we are trading one for a better player, then OUR preference should be to trade Sheary.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I get the feeling we're going to get Skinner. With the Hurricane connection and JR talking about balancing the line-up, he seems like a guy we're locked into.

I think so as well.

My guess is Sprong and Jarry will be involved. The Penguins are a win-now team and I could see them moving Sprong for a relatively young already established player like Skinner. It's not something I'd do, but it would make us a lot stronger on the left wing.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Skinner makes little sense unless the Penguins move Kessel.

We don't need anymore forwards, we need a defenseman. Even if we did acquire a forward, he should be a good two-way player, which Skinner is not. I think if you're the Penguins, you trade Sheary and Jarry for a defenseman. I'd much rather trade Sheary and Jarry for someone like Christopher Tanev than Jeff Skinner. You can always sign someone like Benoit Pouliot if need be to replace Sheary who in my opinion would be a much better fit than Sheary is currently.

Not really, Not if they plan on using Kessel with Malkin full time.

They had a lot go right having 3 deep as far scoring lines go. And when they won the cup in 2017 scoring still came at a premium as the playoffs moved along struggling most of the time to score. I'd rather they had the de facto depth and scoring at will throughout the lineup than scrape and claw to win.

I do agree that they need a D-man more, but they need that depth throughout. Team being healthy isn't going to do that. They lost a lot after the 2017 run.

Guentzel, Crosby, Hornqvist - You just paid the man like a 1st liner, use 'em there.
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel - nothing needs said here.
Skinner, Brassard, Rust
Kuhnhackl, Sheahan, Zar/Simon/Blueger

Dumoulin, Letang
Maatta, Schultz
Oleksiak, **FA?Trade**
Hunwick

Murray
DeSmith/Jarry

Side note: Hanifin would have been a much better target from the Canes and move Oleksiak to RD.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not really, Not if they plan on using Kessel with Malkin full time.

They had a lot go right having 3 deep as far scoring lines go. And when they won the cup in 2017 scoring still came at a premium as the playoffs moved along struggling most of the time to score. I'd rather they had the de facto depth and scoring at will throughout the lineup than scrape and claw to win.

I do agree that they need a D-man more, but they need that depth throughout. Team being healthy isn't going to do that. They lost a lot after the 2017 run.

Guentzel, Crosby, Hornqvist - You just paid the man like a 1st liner, use 'em there.
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel - nothing needs said here.
Skinner, Brassard, Rust
Kuhnhackl, Sheahan, Zar/Simon/Blueger

Dumoulin, Letang
Maatta, Schultz
Oleksiak, **FA?Trade**
Hunwick

Murray
DeSmith/Jarry

How about, 'hope you've got 100 god mode games in you, Geno' or 'Geno, don't hurt yourself doing all the physical work for the line . . . corners, walls, net front, etc'?

I guess I'm one of the few who looks at that mix you've put out there and thinks (a) it's wrong and (b) it won't be right unless Sid isn't top 3 when it comes to edgiest Pens (Horny is first, Geno is second, AINEC).

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'm honestly surprised he wasn't moved last year for that reason.

I think the reason is obvious . . . other teams have 2-4 guys like Sprong in their organization. So, he's not quite the trade chip people think.
2-4 would be a slight exaggeration, don't you think? I don't see many teams that have that potential shown at the WBS/AHL level. The kid was up there for scoring overall and I think(?) #1 for rookies. He could still suck, but he certainly has potential...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
2-4 would be a slight exaggeration, don't you think? I don't see many teams that have that potential shown at the WBS/AHL level. The kid was up there for scoring overall and I think(?) #1 for rookies. He could still suck, but he certainly has potential...

As do many other wingers in the AHL/juniors/overseas. Did you forget that part . . . juniors and overseas?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pretty sure Kessel scored a number of wristers from the right hash on the PP. Could be just me....

He did. But, a wrist shot isn't a one timer. The goalie has a chance to square up. So, it being a RHS is not an absolute requirement, because a LHS like say Skinner can take a pass and whip off a quick wrister as quickly as a RHS who takes time to settle the puck.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
How about, 'hope you've got 100 god mode games in you, Geno' or 'Geno, don't hurt yourself doing all the physical work for the line . . . corners, walls, net front, etc'?

I guess I'm one of the few who looks at that mix you've put out there and thinks (a) it's wrong and (b) it won't be right unless Sid isn't top 3 when it comes to edgiest Pens (Horny is first, Geno is second, AINEC).
Pens still have a good mix, and there's also the TDL to find that aspect for far less cheaper.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
As do many other wingers in the AHL/juniors/overseas. Did you forget that part . . . juniors and overseas?
I mean, you could compare that for sure, if that is what is there. But I just don't think, in whole or even in part that is true. Otherwise, I think you would see 2-4 new forwards starting each year for other teams. Not sure I see that...maybe you do?

Or are you saying other teams are not as likely to pull in a Sprong type to the NHL, perhaps?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He did. But, a wrist shot isn't a one timer. The goalie has a chance to square up. So, it being a RHS is not an absolute requirement, because a LHS like say Skinner can take a pass and whip off a quick wrister as quickly as a RHS who takes time to settle the puck.

Kessel's wrist shot is like somes slap shot. He beats goalies from just inside the blueline with that bad boy.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kessel's wrist shot is like somes slap shot. He beats goalies from just inside the blueline with that bad boy.

I didn't say otherwise, did I?

BUT, if you're guy in the left circle on the PP isn't taking one timers, then it isn't an absolute must that he's a right handed shooter.

That was the entirety of my reply to RRP.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Yes, for the one timer for sure.

Also, not sure I would classify anyone as having a shot like Kessel. He's just deadly.

TBH, I am not sure on Sprong with his slap vs wrist as to the one time benefit. I think the only advantage a LHS has on that side is working the puck to the outside, but I think the real question is, does Skinner have a wrister as good as Kessel? If he does, then I think it's a no-brainer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad