Saginaw Spirit 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
nantz.PNG

Hello, friends.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Think we see that open import spot get filled in the next week or so. Not really any import D that are out there outside of Chromiak. Don't know if he's really an upgrade over anyone we have now. Still think Molnar would be the best way to maximize that open spot. Eventually Zhiklin will come back from injury. Najim should head to junior B. Harmer, Epperson, and Clouthier had good opening weeks. Someone on those 3rd and 4th lines is going to get pushed out. Will be interesting to see how we make sure we aren't trying to have track meets every night. Drinkell usually does a deal or two early.

bearfan

Jan 8, 2015
Honest question for Saggy fans. With a strong team this year, and virtually no draft picks for the next 4 years how do you plan to add to your roster to compete? Lets say you don't need to add and have a strong team. Saginaw does not have any picks in the upcoming years so how do you build your team. It may not be popular but some very good players mat need to be traded to rebuild what was used to win the Memorial Cup. Again just a honest question here.

Saginaw Spirit
2025------4th SBY 4th---LDN 6thSAR 7th9th10th11th12th BRA 12th13th14th15th
2026---------------7th8th9th10th---12th13th14th15th KGN 15th*
2027------------6th7th8th9th BRA 9th10th11th---13th14th---
20282nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Honest question for Saggy fans. With a strong team this year, and virtually no draft picks for the next 4 years how do you plan to add to your roster to compete? Lets say you don't need to add and have a strong team. Saginaw does not have any picks in the upcoming years so how do you build your team. It may not be popular but some very good players mat need to be traded to rebuild what was used to win the Memorial Cup. Again just a honest question here.

Saginaw Spirit
2025------4th SBY 4th---LDN 6thSAR 7th9th10th11th12th BRA 12th13th14th15th
2026---------------7th8th9th10th---12th13th14th15th KGN 15th*
2027------------6th7th8th9th BRA 9th10th11th---13th14th---
20282nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th
Lalonde played a game for Kingston, so there's another 3rd in there. So now that's 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4. They can probably get an import forward for cheap. Let's say a couple 4ths. That leaves 2, 3, 3, 4. You've added a F. Zhilkin comes back from injury, Chernyshov will be back for the second half, and you can't have all of Gervais, Hay, Sima, and Moore as OA's next year. I think one of them will be moved to a young team that needs an older/grittier player to help mentor the kids. So say that brings in a 3 and a 4. Now we have 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4,. Offense will be set. Now we need 2 D. 2, 3, 3, 4 is one. Glavin or Jones plus 3, 4 is another. These won't be the big name guys but will be solid defenseman we need. The path to take one more run is there.

Now, for recouping picks. Let's say Misa blows up this season. Makes the NHL out the gate. Won't get picks for him. Parekh is not making the NHL next season. He'll get an 09 plus picks. Epperson will have a strong year. Can move him for picks. Harmer could get moved next season for quite a bit. Hay as an OA potentially holds value. Same goes for Sima. Point is, they don't HAVE to sell this season. There is a path to rebuild around Zhilkin, Clouthier, 09's etc.

bearfan

Jan 8, 2015
Think we see that open import spot get filled in the next week or so. Not really any import D that are out there outside of Chromiak. Don't know if he's really an upgrade over anyone we have now. Still think Molnar would be the best way to maximize that open spot. Eventually Zhiklin will come back from injury. Najim should head to junior B. Harmer, Epperson, and Clouthier had good opening weeks. Someone on those 3rd and 4th lines is going to get pushed out. Will be interesting to see how we make sure we aren't trying to have track meets every night. Drinkell usually does a deal or two early.

Lalonde played a game for Kingston, so there's another 3rd in there. So now that's 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4. They can probably get an import forward for cheap. Let's say a couple 4ths. That leaves 2, 3, 3, 4. You've added a F. Zhilkin comes back from injury, Chernyshov will be back for the second half, and you can't have all of Gervais, Hay, Sima, and Moore as OA's next year. I think one of them will be moved to a young team that needs an older/grittier player to help mentor the kids. So say that brings in a 3 and a 4. Now we have 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4,. Offense will be set. Now we need 2 D. 2, 3, 3, 4 is one. Glavin or Jones plus 3, 4 is another. These won't be the big name guys but will be solid defenseman we need. The path to take one more run is there.

Now, for recouping picks. Let's say Misa blows up this season. Makes the NHL out the gate. Won't get picks for him. Parekh is not making the NHL next season. He'll get an 09 plus picks. Epperson will have a strong year. Can move him for picks. Harmer could get moved next season for quite a bit. Hay as an OA potentially holds value. Same goes for Sima. Point is, they don't HAVE to sell this season. There is a path to rebuild around Zhilkin, Clouthier, 09's etc.
I don't disagree with what you said. Let's say it happens somewhat to what you have said. I think the way you put it, you would not have any quality picks for the 2025 season because the drafts is before the end of the season. With what you propose trade(s) would need to be done sooner to help with next year.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I don't disagree with what you said. Let's say it happens somewhat to what you have said. I think the way you put it, you would not have any quality picks for the 2025 season because the drafts is before the end of the season. With what you propose trade(s) would need to be done sooner to help with next year.
No not really. Here's what they would have if they empty the cabinet before the draft going into 25/26.

Chart.PNG

2G, 6D, 13F. Really just need some warm bodies to fill out the extras but that can be resolved in moves that deal players in the offseason.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
If London gets everyone returned from the pros, they will be the overwhelming favorite in the West by a mile and it's foolish to add players this year. Parekh can be moved this year for a 1st round pick, a depth player and multiple picks because the team trading for him will get two years of him (or they can trade him again next year). We could not beat London in the playoffs last year with the stacked team, why would we think we could do it this year. They are big, physical and insanely talented and if I was a betting man, I think they go through the West playoffs with all sweeps...they're going to be that good once everyone is back.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If London gets everyone returned from the pros, they will be the overwhelming favorite in the West by a mile and it's foolish to add players this year. Parekh can be moved this year for a 1st round pick, a depth player and multiple picks because the team trading for him will get two years of him (or they can trade him again next year). We could not beat London in the playoffs last year with the stacked team, why would we think we could do it this year. They are big, physical and insanely talented and if I was a betting man, I think they go through the West playoffs with all sweeps...they're going to be that good once everyone is back.

as long as calgary sends him back, you probably will get a similar package as you would this year.

i dont see any team moving 20 or so picks for anyone and thats what two years of parakh would in theory be worth.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
If they want to start the rebuild this season because they want some 08's, then fine. I can respect that. But starting a rebuild because London is scary is coward behavior.

Reactions: tjziel and Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I agree with trading Parekh it helps this year with getting a 1st rd youngster and a solid D and picks plus conditionals as mentioned. Good for the future and now
If they want to start the rebuild this season because they want some 08's, then fine. I can respect that. But starting a rebuild because London is scary is coward behavior.

DD will have to see how they are by mid season. Injuries to breakout players and surprises. If we’re gelling he moves one way if not, another. JMO he will try to have a successful season giving the team more playoff experience. London is strong but injuries happen to every team.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Coward behavior??? Someone tell Garber not to hire kingpin as the GM when Drinkell inevitably moves on. It's called taking a realistic look at the landscape and making smart decisions. Do you really think that we can beat London in a 7-game series this year??? The odds of that happening are less than 5% and that may be generous.

London has ELEVEN, yes eleven NHL picks currently on their roster and multiple 2nd/3rd round picks that they could spin into additional players. Saginaw's lineup today is what you will see in late February...they just don't have anything to trade and it would be foolish to trade away a young player when they need to rebuild for the future.

If there are good offers at the deadline, I think DD pulls the trigger on some of these guys. If not, he'll stand pat and trade people next year and make a decent playoff run. I don't think you need to look any further than Kitchener last year...they had a very good team but didn't have assets to add players, they stood pat, got swept by London and now are selling early this year. I don't want to be in that boat.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Coward behavior??? Someone tell Garber not to hire kingpin as the GM when Drinkell inevitably moves on. It's called taking a realistic look at the landscape and making smart decisions. Do you really think that we can beat London in a 7-game series this year??? The odds of that happening are less than 5% and that may be generous.

London has ELEVEN, yes eleven NHL picks currently on their roster and multiple 2nd/3rd round picks that they could spin into additional players. Saginaw's lineup today is what you will see in late February...they just don't have anything to trade and it would be foolish to trade away a young player when they need to rebuild for the future.

If there are good offers at the deadline, I think DD pulls the trigger on some of these guys. If not, he'll stand pat and trade people next year and make a decent playoff run. I don't think you need to look any further than Kitchener last year...they had a very good team but didn't have assets to add players, they stood pat, got swept by London and now are selling early this year. I don't want to be in that boat.

outside of guys that wont be back, im not sure the returns would be so significant for those guys that would make it worth it to make it an 18 month rental tbh.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

I don’t disagree that selling off would be a smart play. I’m saying that Drinkell isn’t looking at London to make that decision. I don’t think he cares how good London will be. They always are.

Kitchener last year was playing WAAAAAYYYY better than they had any right to last season. Most people had them slotted in for 5-8 range. Almost everyone has us in the 2-4 range. It’s a bit different. We’re a quite a bit better than that Kitchener team. Honestly though, Kitchener isn’t going to be hurt for not selling last year. They have a solid base and ways to recoup assets. Same as us.

Next year is gonna suck. No way to avoid it. If Drinkell thinks we have one more run in us, do it. If he wants to start the rebuild, do it. Just don’t use other teams as the determining factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad