Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Marcus Johansson 2yrs 9mil (4.5 AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Can I ask a stupid question? Why are so many referring to Marcus Johansson as MoJo when his fist name starts with Ma. Has he always been called that or is this something new?

Reactions: Eichel9

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Can I ask a stupid question? Why are so many referring to Marcus Johansson as MoJo when his fist name starts with Ma. Has he always been called that or is this something new?
I remember Washington fans calling him that before when they had him.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
they’ll cost more than 6th and less than 10. My bet is $7.75M

Rodrigues and Ullmark made less than 1 mil last season (650k and 750k). Larsson made 1.475 mil and McCabe made 1.6 mil. The first two won't be getting much more than 1 mil if at all, and the other two will be fortunate to get over 2 mil each (as Girgensons just re-signed for the same amount as last season). If all that totals over 6 mil, it will be by a slim margin, and nowhere near 10 mil. Probably close to 800k, 900k, 1.8 mil and 2.1 mil.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The vibes associated with a word like mojo which can mean magic or good luck supersedes the strict alphabetization convention adopted at the 3rd World Congress for Standardization of Sports Figure Nicknames.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Very, very happy with this signing. I've been calling him my #1 forward target for awhile and this is a perfectly fair deal, much more fair than I would think a UFA coming off a very good playoffs would get.

I'm really excited about his versatility. I see him as a Hecht type player in that no matter where you plug him he makes that line better. Put him on Eichel's wing for a bit more defensive aptitude (though I wouldn't). Put him with Reinhart to add another put two heady players together and give Reinhart someone that can carry into the zone. Put him with Mitts for depth scoring. Etc. Etc. I know he hasn't played much center lately, but at the very least he gives us another possible 2C option to try in camp. Very happy.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Some of y'all are more negative than Risto's career +/-. Perfect deal.

1) Positional flexibility is really useful for us.
2) The AAV ain't bad.
3) The term is fantastic. We have cap space the next two years, this is pretty low risk and pretty much just Pegula's dollars spent.
4) Every player runs risk of injury. Johansson's run has been bad, but we've seen guys turn that trend around. Coupling with the two year deal- he could be hurt both years, granted, but once again, really just money spent. But he could also be healthy both years, we could see 1-and-1.. dude just gives us some options. Good options, not Curtis Lazar options.

All positive, no negatives outside of Terry's wallet weight. Great work Botts.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Botts is rolling the dice that he can stay healthy

Ugh... good luck with that.

One more concussion and his career is over. And even beyond the concussions he's Glass Joe on skates. Someone sneezes & MoJo misses 2 games. Glad he someone else's problem now, and glad the Devils didnt resign him. I have zero animosity towards Buffalo though, so I'd have preferred he signed with the Rangers or the Flyers, etc....

Intermission

Jan 17, 2016
Western NY
Ugh... good luck with that.

One more concussion and his career is over. And even beyond the concussions he's Glass Joe on skates. Someone sneezes & MoJo misses 2 games. Glad he someone else's problem now, and glad the Devils didnt resign him. I have zero animosity towards Buffalo though, so I'd have preferred he signed with the Rangers or the Flyers, etc....
Had you said King Hippo I might take it more seriously.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Rodrigues and Ullmark made less than 1 mil last season (650k and 750k). Larsson made 1.475 mil and McCabe made 1.6 mil. The first two won't be getting much more than 1 mil if at all, and the other two will be fortunate to get over 2 mil each (as Girgensons just re-signed for the same amount as last season). If all that totals over 6 mil, it will be by a slim margin, and nowhere near 10 mil. Probably close to 800k, 900k, 1.8 mil and 2.1 mil.
apologies. Misssd the Girgs signing and was doing math for 5 not 4 players. I was thinking 1, 1, 2, 2, with Girgs at 1.75 making 7.75 total. Agree the remaining 4 will be between 6 and 7 total. Although I think ERod could get a huge bump to 1.5 per. He’s everything you’d want a depth forward to be.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Definite roster upgrade. Fantastic term. Looks like Botterill held his cards close to the vest and laid down a nice hand when it was time to call.

He still not on my Xmas card list but I will probably restore his "follow" status.....

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex

I prefer Curly Johansson

images

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Bottom line, now that both the football and hockey gambling GMs are gone, both organizations are in a better place right now.

But let's not pretend there wasn't considerable damage done.

Reactions: pigpen65

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I am getting more and more excited about the signing. He is literally a lock for 40-50 points a season. We paid 9 mil and will get ~100 points over the life of the deal. He would only be 30 when its finished and would be able to get a 3 year extension and would only be 33 when that is done.

MarJo 2 x 4.5 is so much more palatable then paying Dzingel 4.75- 5.5 x 6 and Justin Williams likely was never considered so getting a legit 2nd line versatile .5-.6 ppg forward is key.

In 3 moves Botts added a proven 16-17 goals per season top 9 winger, a legit .5 ppg #3 RHD and now a versatile 40-50 point 2nd line forward.

I still think we have 2 more deals coming.A move for a 2C with an expensive contract and a 2nd trade to clear the logjam on the backend.

Imagine getting a 2C for stuff like Nylander,McCabe and a 2nd+2nd and moving Scandella off for salary purposes.

Skinner-Eichel-Vesey
MarJo-2C-Reinhart
Olofsson-Mitts-Sheary
Girgs-Larsson-ERod
xOkposo

now that is an offense capable of 3+ gpg. The top 3 lines are literally 9 forwarss who should/will all score 15+ a piece. And with ERod on the 4th, they may even combine for 25 goals (7 from Girgs, 5 from Larsson, 13 from ERod).

I really hope we can get a 2/3C to shelter Mitts and it doesn't cost us Risto. I just want 1 season of risto here getting no more then 21:30-22 minutes a night on a 2nd pairing and PP2 time. If Risto can QB the PP2 we may be able to roll out 2 capable PP units. It just all depends on what 2C it is. Is it a legit 55+ point 2C or a ~40-45 point center who is just as much as a 3c as a 2C.

We shall see. This isn't roster surgery but a #3 40 point dman, a 17 goal scorer and a 40-50 point forward is a great start to the summer.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I am getting more and more excited about the signing. He is literally a lock for 40-50 points a season. We paid 9 mil and will get ~100 points over the life of the deal. He would only be 30 when its finished and would be able to get a 3 year extension and would only be 33 when that is done.

Injury-plagued player who hasn't gotten above 30 points in the past 3 seasons, and has only eclipsed 50 once, is "literally a lock for 40-50 points a season."

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Injury-plagued player who hasn't gotten above 30 points in the past 3 seasons, and has only eclipsed 50 once, is "literally a lock for 40-50 points a season."

Ummm, he had 58 points in 16-17.

He should hit the 40 point mark IF he stays healthy.

The problem is staying healthy.

He has produced 0.48 ppg+ every year after his rookie season.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad