Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign G James Reimer to 1-year, $1 million Deal; On Waivers 10/6/2024

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Strange decision to waive Reimer so soon - but surely it's better than having the three head goalie monster debacle?

Levi did look great albeit for just one game. I don't like having two young guys but UPL-Levi are undoubtedly the best tandem on merit.

So long as he's not claimed I'm perfectly fine with Reimer as an organisational #3. I don't think it's a given that he's claimed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Strange decision to waive Reimer so soon - but surely it's better than having the three head goalie monster debacle?

Levi did look great albeit for just one game. I don't like having two young guys but UPL-Levi are undoubtedly the best tandem on merit.

So long as he's not claimed I'm perfectly fine with Reimer as an organisational #3. I don't think it's a given that he's claimed.
I'm OK with the decision if he clears.

If he gets claimed and Sandstrom is the new organizational third....

:confused:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Been saying that Reimer would be in Rochester since the day we signed him :dunno:

If he does get claimed I assume Housecat gets an NHL contract.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
And just like that we are entitled to think whatever we want about people who hold these opinions. So yes, f*** homophobes.

I don't know the background around Reimer, but if he doesn't want to wear a politicized jersey, that is his right. People shouldn't squawk when someone refuses the military one. I want my team to be open to the gay community and welcoming but there is a lot of nuance in the discussion beyond just being pro-gay marriage, Some people have strong opinions on the transgender issue and it's possible to be pro gay rights and not agree with everything the current flag represents.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Uhm no. Some have their beliefs and whether you or anyone like it or not they are entitled to their opinions.

edit: And I am not religious at all.
Christian man holds Christian beliefs, news at 11. Should be a non-issue but hey, this probably isn't the forum to delve that deep into this.

All that said, surprised they waived him, but this team makes no sense so...

Reactions: Der Jaeger

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

Sends clear message to team. Best play.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I believe NHL rosters get finalized today. It makes sense to send him through when a lot of other players are going through at the same time.

Reactions: Chainshot

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Did one quality regular season start from Levi convince Sabres' management that Reimer, signed barely 3 months ago and with zero game minutes played, was suddenly expendable? I don't know how else to interpret that decision.

Not seeing much of a plan for our goaltending here. Why sign him in the first place?
You ask very good questions here. I'm guessing the answer, once again, is that Adams has no idea what he's doing.

He has opted out of Pride Night citing his Christian beliefs as the reason why. That probably took him off of some team's FA list. If Kim were able to still be involved as much as before I don't think we would have signed him (but that is speculation).

Might help him pass through waivers 🤷‍♂️
The christian element is probably why Pegula...I mean Adams...signed him.

Uhm no. Some have their beliefs and whether you or anyone like it or not they are entitled to their opinions.

edit: And I am not religious at all.
And we're allowed to hate him for his opinions.

So again, as oldgoalie so perfectly put it, f*** him.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Sabres sign veteran backup to be their 3rd goalie and safety net.
Sabres send their 3rd goalie to the minors ahead of roster cutdown day, like most teams do.

Sometimes people can really overcomplicate these things.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
You ask very good questions here. I'm guessing the answer, once again, is that Adams has no idea what he's doing.

The christian element is probably why Pegula...I mean Adams...signed him.

And we're allowed to hate him for his opinions.

So again, as oldgoalie so perfectly put it, f*** him.
People scoffed at my remark about Patty La saying "f***" all the time as one of the reasons why he was dumped by the Pegulas.

Don't interpret my comments as being anti Christian. I grew up Roman Catholic. I'm just really tired of marginalized people getting shit on for wanting to just live their lives.

And this has probably moved to more of a discussion that is not allowed on these boards, so I'm shutting the f*** up.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Sabres send their 3rd goalie to the minors ahead of roster cutdown day, like most teams do.

I guess that is where much of the discussion resides. The common thought is that Levi needs 55-60 GP this year to continue developing. He will not get that as a backup, or even as a 1A/1B. Reimer's presence gives the Sabres a legit NHL backup to fall on allows Levi to develop freely in both AHL and in limited NHL callups. They still can maintain this path if Reimer clears, but this move certainly adds a reasonable amount of doubt in my mind.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Except...

2nd goalie is waiver exempt and can easily split time between buffalo and rochrster or can do paper transactions only call him up

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I guess that is where much of the discussion resides. The common thought is that Levi needs 55-60 GP this year to continue developing. He will not get that as a backup, or even as a 1A/1B. Reimer's presence gives the Sabres a legit NHL backup to fall on allows Levi to develop freely in both AHL and in limited NHL callups. They still can maintain this path if Reimer clears, but this move certainly adds a reasonable amount of doubt in my mind.

Yep, that's what some fans thought.

The Sabres, on the other hand, are giving him the Swayman/Oettinger treatment, avoiding the headaches of a 3-goalie system, and dressing the lineup that give them the best chance of winning this year.

I'm surprised at the number of fans not recognizing the final point, and how much better Levi is than Reimer right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad