Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign G James Reimer to 1-year, $1 million Deal; On Waivers 10/6/2024, Claimed by Anaheim

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It was a two-way deal. That kinda indicated they wanted him in Roch.
Then they are idiots, because he would not have made it to Roch. Reimer has not played in the AHL for 13 years, he is a completely normal NHL backup. What were they counting on? Now Rochester does not have a normal goalie, and Buffalo does not have a good number 3. Maybe they should have signed a good number 3 in the first place, and not Reimer, if that was their plan?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I don’t really understand what the point in signing Reimer was. I figured he would be the backup but then he never really seemed to get a chance at that role. Maybe he was really bad in practice? I don’t know.

Having him be UPL’s backup this year made sense, especially after they signed UPL to a 5yr deal. They could give Levi a heavy workload in Rochester and let him develop as a starter.
Levi would’ve been a call-up away any time he was needed.

But now Levi is forced into the backup role full time this season (unless Adams makes a move for a #2, which I don’t see happening. He would’ve just kept Reimer) and Rochester’s goalie situation looks rough. Houser’s the starter? Yikes.

Plus, instead of establishing UPL as the clear starter, he now has a young goalie nipping at his heels immediately after he signed a 5yr deal to be the starter. I know people will say “well, if he can’t handle the pressure…” and I agree but it still seems like a weird plan. It makes it seem like they’re not sold on UPL (to me).

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don’t really understand what the point in signing Reimer was. I figured he would be the backup but then he never really seemed to get a chance at that role. Maybe he was really bad in practice? I don’t know.

Having him be UPL’s backup this year made sense, especially after they signed UPL to a 5yr deal. They could give Levi a heavy workload in Rochester and let him develop as a starter.

But now Levi is forced into the backup role full time this season (unless Adams makes a move for a #2, which I don’t see happening. He would’ve just kept Reimer) and Rochester’s goalie situation looks rough. Houser’s the starter? Yikes.

Plus, instead of establishing UPL as the clear starter, he now has a young goalie nipping at his heels immediately after he signed a 5yr deal to be the starter. I know people will say “well, if he can’t handle the pressure…” and I agree but it still seems like a weird plan. It makes it seem like they’re not sold on UPL (to me).
Why did they sign him to a Cal Peterson contract if they don't believe in the UPL? But this whole situation is one big minus.

1) Reimer was a decent backup in his career and hadn't played in the AHL for 13 years. What was the point of signing him if the plan was to just put him on a waiver?

2) It's unclear how many games Levi will get, and he needs to play a lot.

3) We don't have a third goalie at all now, and Rochester doesn't have a good starter, it's just stupid.I just don't understand what Adams is doing, that guy is a weirdo.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't get the disdain for waiving him. He was bound for Rochester from the get go.

I would love to see Levi play one more year in Rochester as well. He has usually looked good when up so using him in a split role would make sense.

Another thing could be a better option is put there for a minimal trade. If Copley is healthy, Vanacek, possibly Lyon, even Peterson since he would come with something and wouldn't be claimed on waivers.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Then they are idiots, because he would not have made it to Roch. Reimer has not played in the AHL for 13 years, he is a completely normal NHL backup. What were they counting on? Now Rochester does not have a normal goalie, and Buffalo does not have a good number 3. Maybe they should have signed a good number 3 in the first place, and not Reimer, if that was their plan?

This is mostly about some BS that Levi can't be shipped to Rochester to play once or twice a week. They originally got him to sign, telling him he would start in Buffalo. He agreed to some Roch time, and then at the end of last year, he was talking about how it was a great experience and that he was ready. No other team runs like this, where the inmates run the asylum. Been this way since Eichel ran Bylsma out of town. It's just not a professional team. We can still make the playoffs but Sabres are such a dumb dumb franchise and it starts from the top with Pegula.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Put some respect on that man's name

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I don't get the disdain for waiving him. He was bound for Rochester from the get go.

I would love to see Levi play one more year in Rochester as well. He has usually looked good when up so using him in a split role would make sense.
You understand this was easily doable. Levi could have come up for 15 or NHL games. Give Reimer 15 and UPL 50. But nope.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Why this conclusion? I think most people here thought Levi would go to Rochester and play a lot there. Reimer hasn't played in the AHL in many years and was a normal backup.

You can't have a plan to sign Reimer and then send him to Rochester because he just won't get there and they'll take him, I just knew it would happen. But now Rochester doesn't have a starter and Buffalo doesn't have a good number 3, and it's unclear how many games Levi will get.

This whole situation in itself looks funny and stupid to Adams.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Among 87 goalies to face at least 1000 unblocked shot attempts in the past 3 seasons, Levi ranks 9 in dFSv% (difference between expected and actual save percentage on these attempts). Reimer ranks 45th. I thought you guys wanted to win games and make the playoffs?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It was a two-way deal. That kinda indicated they wanted him in Roch.
No it wasn't.

It was a one-way deal.

Screenshot 2024-10-07 152453.jpg

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Among 87 goalies to face at least 1000 unblocked shot attempts in the past 3 seasons, Levi ranks 9 in dFSv% (difference between expected and actual save percentage on these attempts). Reimer ranks 45th. I thought you guys wanted to win games and make the playoffs?
whats wrong with having both Reimer and Levi ?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Now compare Sandstrom to Reimer.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
whats wrong with having both Reimer and Levi ?
Clear to me that they see Levi as a clear #2 or even #1B at this point & want to feed him NHL time - and I'm fine with that. This isn't the same as when he first signed & got gifted a de facto starting role without proving anything.

If/when one of them gets hurt then I'd expect a move - there will be serviceable players available.

The only people who should be genuinely mad at this are die hard Rochester fans IMO.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Not a profesional organization

This is country club Buffalo. Levi cannot be sent down or his feelings will be hurt. Not good for the room.
Levi has given us zero reason to think that that is the case.

Clear to me that they see Levi as a clear #2 or even #1B at this point & want to feed him NHL time - and I'm fine with that. This isn't the same as when he first signed & got gifted a de facto starting role without proving anything.
I don’t get it, what has he proven? He had an .899 in the NHL last year

Reactions: Aladyyn

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The plan should absolutely not be to ship Levi back and forth between the Amerks and Sabres all year. Either he's your #2 for the big club, or he's the #1 for Rochester if he's not ready for the NHL yet.

Besides "hurt feelings", the constant extra travel on top of the normal travel he would be doing as a permanent member of either squad would absolutely wear on him, and it's not like Buffalo just stays in Buffalo all year and Rochester just stays in Rochester - they each have their own road trips that makes shuffling players up and down for non-injury reasons non-workable. Additionally, Levi needs to practice behind the defenders he's actually going to be playing behind.

These guys aren't robots and this isn't a video game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad