Confirmed with Link: Sabres Sign G James Reimer to 1-year, $1 million Deal; On Waivers 10/6/2024, Claimed by Anaheim

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Strange decision to waive Reimer so soon - but surely it's better than having the three head goalie monster debacle?

Levi did look great albeit for just one game. I don't like having two young guys but UPL-Levi are undoubtedly the best tandem on merit.

So long as he's not claimed I'm perfectly fine with Reimer as an organisational #3. I don't think it's a given that he's claimed.
I'm OK with the decision if he clears.

If he gets claimed and Sandstrom is the new organizational third....

:confused:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Been saying that Reimer would be in Rochester since the day we signed him :dunno:

If he does get claimed I assume Housecat gets an NHL contract.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Strange decision to waive Reimer so soon - but surely it's better than having the three head goalie monster debacle?

Levi did look great albeit for just one game. I don't like having two young guys but UPL-Levi are undoubtedly the best tandem on merit.

So long as he's not claimed I'm perfectly fine with Reimer as an organisational #3. I don't think it's a given that he's claimed.
Sends clear message to team. Best play.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I believe NHL rosters get finalized today. It makes sense to send him through when a lot of other players are going through at the same time.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Sabres sign veteran backup to be their 3rd goalie and safety net.
Sabres send their 3rd goalie to the minors ahead of roster cutdown day, like most teams do.

Sometimes people can really overcomplicate these things.
I guess that is where much of the discussion resides. The common thought is that Levi needs 55-60 GP this year to continue developing. He will not get that as a backup, or even as a 1A/1B. Reimer's presence gives the Sabres a legit NHL backup to fall on allows Levi to develop freely in both AHL and in limited NHL callups. They still can maintain this path if Reimer clears, but this move certainly adds a reasonable amount of doubt in my mind.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sabres send their 3rd goalie to the minors ahead of roster cutdown day, like most teams do.

Except...

2nd goalie is waiver exempt and can easily split time between buffalo and rochrster or can do paper transactions only call him up

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I guess that is where much of the discussion resides. The common thought is that Levi needs 55-60 GP this year to continue developing. He will not get that as a backup, or even as a 1A/1B. Reimer's presence gives the Sabres a legit NHL backup to fall on allows Levi to develop freely in both AHL and in limited NHL callups. They still can maintain this path if Reimer clears, but this move certainly adds a reasonable amount of doubt in my mind.

Yep, that's what some fans thought.

The Sabres, on the other hand, are giving him the Swayman/Oettinger treatment, avoiding the headaches of a 3-goalie system, and dressing the lineup that give them the best chance of winning this year.

I'm surprised at the number of fans not recognizing the final point, and how much better Levi is than Reimer right now.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

I agree it's not a big deal except..

Is Levi ready for the NHL?
Is Levi best suited getting 50-60 games in the AHL?
If someone claims Reimer what's the backup plan?

It feels like with Adams either there is no plan or the plan is always changing depending on the wind.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yep, that's what some fans thought.

The Sabres, on the other hand, are giving him the Swayman/Oettinger treatment, avoiding the headaches of a 3-goalie system, and dressing the lineup that give them the best chance of winning this year.

I'm surprised at the number of fans not recognizing the final point, and how much better Levi is than Reimer right now.
Checked the evolving-hockey stats and Levi last season had better numbers (dFSv% and GSAx) than Reimer in any season in his career lol

Are we so sure that any more AHL time is going to help Levi? Are we so sure that he shouldn't just be facing NHL shooters at this point in his development and with his current skill level?

Reactions: Dingo44

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Him clearing could just be a paper transaction so they could paper him up and down when Levi starts in Roch vs Buf

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
One of 6K or Levi gets hurt, and it's "Felix Sandstrom, come on down!"

I've been a lukewarm supporter of Adams, but this is a gamble not worth the risk imho.

Reactions: ceky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad