Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign D Henri Jokiharju. 1 year, $3.1M

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Johnson signed in Philadelphia.

:biglaugh:
Ryan Johnson didn't ...

In fact, I'm not even sure Joki would look better than Johnson, Gilbert or Bryson. We needed a better top 4 RD. Maybe with Lindy he will gain confidence and play better, but I'm not sure.
Not sure about Bryson, i really don't think he should have been resigned either if he's being expected to play a meaningful NHL role.

Our best four are clearly Dahlin, Power, Byram, Samuelsson. Just find whichever way of best utilising them, you have three terrific players there who should provide lots of flexibility. I don't care that they are all lefties if they all have to play together, it doesn't matter.

The only thing i worry about is Samuelsson's inability to stay healthy.

I'm fine with Johnson/Clifton as a bottom pair with Gilbert coming in when they need extra muscle.

I just don't see a role for Joker, he's so clearly the odd man out to me.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Ryan Johnson didn't ...

Not sure about Bryson, i really don't think he should have been resigned either if he's being expected to play a meaningful NHL role.

Our best four are clearly Dahlin, Power, Byram, Samuelsson. Just find whichever way of best utilising them, you have three terrific players there who should provide lots of flexibility. I don't care that they are all lefties if they all have to play together, it doesn't matter.

The only thing i worry about is Samuelsson's inability to stay healthy.

I'm fine with Johnson/Clifton as a bottom pair with Gilbert coming in when they need extra muscle.

I just don't see a role for Joker, he's so clearly the odd man out to me.
why can Joker not play on the bottom pair.....

Reactions: BFLO

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Sorry I meant Dahlin should be paired w someone who is D responsible not necessarily physical, after Sammy I dont see anyone fitting that bill.
Joker/Clifton are 3rd pairing/borderline top4, Power should be 2nd pair & I am not sure were Bryam fits?
Too many puck moving D/ LD in the top4.
Maybe someone could clarify my concern what pairs could work.
The balancing of our defense is off.

We have 5 PMD and 1 Defense first guy in our top 6.

Defense first: Samuelsson

PMD: Dahlin, Power, Byram, Joker, Clifton

Samuelsson can play on any of the pairings.

Dahlin, Power and Byram are all left handed and all project as 1D at their peak.

Joki and Clifton project as bottom pairing and are both right handed.

It's a bit of a mess. But if Dahlin, Power and Byram all reach their potential the rest doesn't matter as much.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If Joker were LHD, I would agree with you.

(But then I'm more obsessed with defense handedness that most)

It would be better if was a LHD. because neither he nor Clifton belong in the top 4 and neither can play the other side. At least if he was LHD he could play on the third pair like he should.

Playing him with Dahlin minutes would be a joke. I’ve been done watching him with Power for two years. Playing with Byram would be a disaster and actually be what some people think Power is out there.

Best case scenario is one of he and Clifton is moved. if not…we’ve got two overpaid 3rd pair guys to rotate in with like…Gilbert.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I just don't understand the hate. He has warts but he's also one of those guys that would go somewhere else and people would wonder why we gave up on him.
Maybe because people don't see anything special in him and he also doesn't fit play with Power or Byram. Maybe under Ruff this will change somehow, but I'm not sure about it.
Jokiharju3.png
Jokiharju2.jpg

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I was surprised they walked him to u. free agency. But it seems like with the cap next year (Skinner, Quinn, JJP) they plan to replace him with a cheaper option (Johnson or ELC?: Komorov, Novikov)

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
This is more of an inkling than based on data, but I feel like good teams find ways to put players like Joki in positions to succeed. And the Sabres have not been a good team, at all, particularly in that regard.
Just look at all the players over the last couple of years that all were misfits in Buffalo to varying degrees only to find success elsewhere as soon as they left. And I don't mean the high-profile ones like Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, but rather the Montours, Rodrigues', Ullmarks, Borgens, Kanes, you name it.

Joki obviously doesn't have superstar pedigree like e.g. Dahlin, Power, Byram, but then again he shouldn't have to. With his talent-level and quality coaching, why shouldn't he be able to become a quality complimentary player, one that works well with one of our young star dmen.

Also, he's still relatively young, he's the same age as McLeod for whom we just traded one of our best prospects and who, according to Oilers fans is more of a potential rather than finished 3C.

I also realize that Joki isn't particularly well liked around these parts, but, and I mean no offence to anyone, when was that ever a good indicator of a players ability/potential.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is more of an inkling than based on data, but I feel like good teams find ways to put players like Joki in positions to succeed. And the Sabres have not been a good team, at all, particularly in that regard.
Just look at all the players over the last couple of years that all were misfits in Buffalo to varying degrees only to find success elsewhere as soon as they left. And I don't mean the high-profile ones like Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, but rather the Montours, Rodrigues', Ullmarks, Borgens, Kanes, you name it.

Joki obviously doesn't have superstar pedigree like e.g. Dahlin, Power, Byram, but then again he shouldn't have to. With his talent-level and quality coaching, why shouldn't he be able to become a quality complimentary player, one that works well with one of our young star dmen.

Also, he's still relatively young, he's the same age as McLeod for whom we just traded one of our best prospects and who, according to Oilers fans is more of a potential rather than finished 3C.

I also realize that Joki isn't particularly well liked around these parts, but, and I mean no offence to anyone, when was that ever a good indicator of a players ability/potential

Eh, there is some evidence in public space fancy stats of guys like Montour being great at shot creation (for everyone, but shot creation), Rodrigues winning his matchups and such, even a guy like Carrier being very good at flipping the ice. There is no such evidence in those same sort of models of Jokiharju being similar. What he has going for him is that he's a right handed shooting defensemen so it is a position of scarcity. This doesn't seem like a guy who is miscast like say Ristolainen but is more just that he's got holes in his game that being pushed further down the lineup don't go away.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I just don't understand the hate. He has warts but he's also one of those guys that would go somewhere else and people would wonder why we gave up on him.
Many don’t seem to be aware he’s been asked to play way more minutes than he should in usages that aren’t his strengths. It’s frequently beyond, or even well beyond, his realistic upside. Many don’t seem to get or just ignore how his usage is going to impact his play. So the fail to fairly evaluate him.

I mean he’s 4/5 dman who should be getting around 15-16mins a night 5v5. Yet has frequently played top pairing minutes in the last 3 seasons; 18+mins in 21-22 (36th overall) and 22-23 seasons (28th overall) and 17+mins this past year. He’s also been asked to be defensive cover for guys like Dahlin/Power which isn’t a strength of his game. His usage has been kind of crazy.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Many don’t seem to be aware he’s been asked to play way more minutes than he should in usages that aren’t his strengths. It’s frequently beyond, or even well beyond, his realistic upside. Many don’t seem to get or just ignore how his usage is going to impact his play. So the fail to fairly evaluate him.

I mean he’s 4/5 dman who should be getting around 15-16mins a night 5v5. Yet has frequently played top pairing minutes in the last 3 seasons; 18+mins in 21-22 (36th overall) and 22-23 seasons (28th overall) and 17+mins this past year. He’s also been asked to be defensive cover for guys like Dahlin/Power which isn’t a strength of his game. His usage has been kind of crazy.

I’ve always seen him as the “offensive dman” of a pairing. Not that that is his strength, but would be better in that usage.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
yeah, his useage and the makeup of the D in recent years hasn't done him any favors, we've been looking for that guy who can play with Dahlin, Power and now Byram, but never the guy who can play with and compliment Joki. Always thought if he had a 'safe' 2nd pair LD like a Lindell or even a "3LD" like a Ferraro to play with he'd look a lot better.

I still think his best days are ahead, but they probably won't be here. Some GM will likely find a good fit for him, we all know how RD's are viewed around the league these days.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
yeah, his useage and the makeup of the D in recent years hasn't done him any favors, we've been looking for that guy who can play with Dahlin, Power and now Byram, but never the guy who can play with and compliment Joki. Always thought if he had a 'safe' 2nd pair LD like a Lindell or even a "3LD" like a Ferraro to play with he'd look a lot better.

I still think his best days are ahead, but they probably won't be here. Some GM will likely find a good fit for him, we all know how RD's are viewed around the league these days.
He can be complimented on the third pair with Gilbert where he belongs.

Best we can do. Would have moved him out by now. Fits with no one…shouldn’t be in top 4 but he makes 3 million now. Just let his value as a young right d fritter away as we knew he didn’t fit the entire time with bad season after bad season. Now he’s a rental. That I would prefer someone else rent

Reactions: Fjordy

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Yup. Which is why if there aren't any trades, I'd run with this D core:

Power-Dahlin
Byram-Clifton
Sammy-Joki

Balance the pairs, and hope like hell Clifton can find chemistry with Byram.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Is it possible that the Sabres thought Jokiharju had one more year of RFA protection before they signed this? A lot of mainstream media seemed confused about when he became a UFA and are now sorted. Most of their info comes from being spoon-fed by Sabres. I will say it seems virtually impossible that Sabres wouldn't know his UFA status. No organization could be that dumb. You look at the 38 games in Chicago and get tripped up but Buffalo would know he was on the roster for 40 games that year. Right?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Is it possible that the Sabres thought Jokiharju had one more year of RFA protection before they signed this? A lot of mainstream media seemed confused about when he became a UFA and are now sorted. Most of their info comes from being spoon-fed by Sabres. I will say it seems virtually impossible that Sabres wouldn't know his UFA status. No organization could be that dumb. You look at the 38 games in Chicago and get tripped up but Buffalo would know he was on the roster for 40 games that year. Right?
They probably don't want to sign him for more than a year.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
UFA years would have been way more costly to sign Jokiharju to.

With Peterka, Quinn, McLeod, Byram, and Levi needing new deals next summer, my guess is that they preferred to let Jokiharju walk as opposed to buying UFA years.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
UFA years would have been way more costly to sign Jokiharju to.

With Peterka, Quinn, McLeod, Byram, and Levi needing new deals next summer, my guess is that they preferred to let Jokiharju walk as opposed to buying UFA years.
Clearly. My only question was whether the Sabres made an informed decision. I believe they did, despite some fan/media confusion. I think you need to get to $3.5 M + to start buying UFA years and that's a lot for a third-pair guy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Clearly. My only question was whether the Sabres made an informed decision. I believe they did, despite some fan/media confusion. I think you need to get to $3.5 M + to start buying UFA years and that's a lot for a third-pair guy.
AFP's projection for Jokiharju was 1x$3.34M or 3x$4.03M.

So, they were projecting those two UFA years to be worth $4.375M each.

I could see why the Sabres didn't have a lot of interest in paying Jokiharju $4M+ next season.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
AFP's projection for Jokiharju was 1x$3.34M or 3x$4.03M.

So, they were projecting those two UFA years to be worth $4.375M each.

I could see why the Sabres didn't have a lot of interest in paying Jokiharju $4M+ next season.

You have to believe he can play a lot of second-pair minutes. Jokiharju is only 25, and most of the time, you would say he is what he is, but the coaching and deployment in Buffalo have just been so bad for years that I wonder whether he will hit another level elsewhere. So be it, if he does. It will be the latest example of incompetence if it happens.

Montour left Buffalo at 26, but his use by the Sabres was plane idiotic, including playing him on the wrong side. I don't think we will see a repeat, but my bet is on the right team, Jokiharju will be even better.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

First casualty of Cap Friendly closing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad