GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Do you know how long he has been in the NHL Assistance Program...seems like about 6 months.

I am aware.

I am also aware he started training and should leave it soon.

He's high risk high reward except the risk is only when it doesn't really matter anyway.

If he doesn't work out, he's out in 2026 at the latest, which coincides with the time we would be looking at contending.

If he works out, you have your linemate for Demidov and Dach/Newhook/FA/Trade.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I am aware.

He's high risk high reward except the risk is only when it doesn't really matter anyway.

If he doesn't work out, he's out in 2026 at the latest, which coincides with the time we would be looking at contending.

By virtue of his cap commitment being less than 24 months, he’s not high-risk.

Reactions: WG and Jaynki

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am aware.

I agree with the high risk, high reward and I think that the culture in the Habs organization would be welcoming for him. My concern are the rabid fans and the expectations

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

High risk in the sense that it's a huge chunk of cap if he can't come back to form or doesn't fit with the team.

But as I said, that risk doesn't impact the team much as it is in a period where we should have the space to stomach it.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
This doesn't look like a roster that makes da playoffs. Sigh.
I think it could be pretty good. Certainly beats a roster with no new top 6 forward.
He sure is, but when X is not in the lineup he is the only player that throws an occasional hit and can do some middle weight fights. You gotta have heavier bottom 6 than what Habs have. it's embarrassing.
Yeah, they could use more size and physicality. Getting stuck with Gallagher is a problem.

Reactions: The Real Timo

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Waiting a year let's you know if:
- Dach can stay healthy and secure the 2C position.
- Newhook is a top6 forward.
- Roy can solidify himself as middle 6.
- Mesar/Farrell/Heineman could be middle 6 options in the short/mid term.

All of these questions influences the guy you would want to target in a trade. We should also have a clearer idea of who is a keeper on D and who to add to the trade assets.

I expected (and still kind of expect) a move for a top6 guy, but it either needs to be a cheap (asset wise) short term fix or a long term solution (think 22-26 years old established player).

With that said, I'm still on the Laine train if he comes relatively cheap. He fits both the short term and potentially the long term too. We even have the luxury of not asking for retention, unlike many other suitors and minimal salary going back.
If the price is low enough acquiring Laine is worth a try. With his cap hit (8.7 millions) and base salary + signing bonus (9.1 millions a year for the next two) along with his out of ice issues the price would need to be quite low though.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's a risk for the owner. He is going to be paid 16.2 millions total in actual money for the next two years, That's a lot of money if the guy doesn't play. Yeah insurance will cover part of it probably but still the list of teams interested might be low.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It's a risk for the owner. He is going to be paid 16.2 millions total in actual money for the next two years, That's a lot of money if the guy doesn't play. Yeah insurance will cover part of it probably but still the list of teams interested might be low.
You put a gun to my head and you still couldn’t make me care about Geoff Molson’s money.

• Haha
Reactions: 417 and WG

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm pretty sure NHL owners care about how much money they make or lose but i could be wrong.
Many contracts are insured — Carey Price and the contract Bergevin and Molson gave him with massive signing bonuses, for instance.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Depends on what he asks for. Wouldn't be shy to offer more years to lower the AAV.
Bergevin gave term to one too many bottom 6ers for my liking - i'm over it. Evans is one of the blandest players in the NHL and will be totally replaceable halfway into any new contract lasting more than two years.

Reactions: the

WG

Sep 9, 2008
He gave term AND salary. I'm saying one or the other. If he gets more years, there must be a discount.
What could Evans reasonably ask for? He's coming off a contract 3 yrs, 1.75M AAV. Something similar would be reasonable, maybe someone else would go 3X3 but if Montreal wanted him to stabilize the 4th line and offered 2 or 3 years at 2M per Evans might go for that. I doubt HuGo would go any higher than that, 4th line centres aren't that hard to dig up.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
He gave term AND salary. I'm saying one or the other. If he gets more years, there must be a discount.

there's just no reasonable discount i would take to give term to a guy like Jake Evans. realistically, he's not taking $1M. I'd extend him one year at a time if he takes it.
the Habs have assets, they can find bottom 6ers on the trade market if no one steps up internally.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The Habs have sky-high ticket prices and don't spend anywhere close to the salary cap. What are you even arguing right now?

How are ticket prices relevant here?

I'm arguing that Molson could be unhappy if his money is wasted. Actually, more stating a fact than arguing.

there's just no reasonable discount i would take to give term to a guy like Jake Evans. realistically, he's not taking $1M. I'd extend him one year at a time if he takes it.
the Habs have assets, they can find bottom 6ers on the trade market if no one steps up internally.

I disagree.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm arguing that Molson could be unhappy if his money is wasted. Actually, more stating a fact than arguing.
Geoff Molson could be unhappy stubbing his toe or walking on LEGO too.

How is this statement relevant to the hockey discussion about Laine?

1. The Habs have cap soace
2. Molson repeatedly claimed he does not prevent the Habs from spending whatever they can spend
3. We’ve seen the Habs spend a massive amount of money in the past
4. Nothing has changed

As far as I can tell, Molson is irrelevant to this discussion.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Geoff Molson could be unhappy stubbing his toe or walking on LEGO too.

How is this statement relevant to the hockey discussion about Laine?

1. The Habs have cap soace
2. Molson repeatedly claimed he does not prevent the Habs from spending whatever they can spend
3. We’ve seen the Habs spend a massive amount of money in the past
4. Nothing has changed

As far as I can tell, Molson is irrelevant to this discussion.

You replied to a post saying there is a risk for the owner if Laine can't play. How is Molson irrelevant in that discussion?

with him being replaceable? with not wanting him on the roster past 2026?

With signing him to only 1 year deal and that no discount make it worth a longer term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad