Sabres hire Tim Murray (not Mike Futa)

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Is there a better second round drafting team than LA in the last five years?

Somewhere on me his board is the proof of that. No other team in the league since Futa a started has had more games played by it's 2nd round prospects. If I remember right they were close to double the team in second place as well. I'd even argue they've been the best drafting team over that time when you consider draft position and team success.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Can we just not Jedi mind trick the Sabres?

"Mike Futa is not the future GM you are looking for"

Hoping the end up with a guy like Jason Botterill or Paul Fenton. Leave our guy alone.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Botterill would be a decent hire, as would Fenton.

I think even Nieuwendyk wouldn't be terrible. He made a few mistakes for sure (Goligoski for Neal and Niskanen) but overall he didn't do bad considering he was hamstrung by a team up for sale. Give him a bit more reign and they'd do decent I think.

Honestly, I would be surprised if Buffalo hired Futa. Typically its Asst. GM's that get those roles, or Director of Player Personal, someone whose worked in the management of a team, not just the scouting department. And very good scouts don't always translate to very good GM's, ask Craig Button.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Futa has experience as the GM of a Canadian junior team. I still don't understand why one of the guys like Futa or Emerson weren't offered the assistant GM job.

bral

Go Kings!
Nov 30, 2004
Corona,CA
Agreed. Let them interview Rob "silver spoons" Blake! Futa should be our assistant Gm, I can only assume/hope he turned down the position abecause he is happy where he is.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Futa has experience as the GM of a Canadian junior team. I still don't understand why one of the guys like Futa or Emerson weren't offered the assistant GM job.

There's nothing to say they weren't. Maybe neither wanted the job at this time.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I am happy for Futa, they guy is one hell of a worker bee in the Kings drafting scheme.

Good for him.

Captain Mittens*

mr-t.jpeg

I pity the Futa!

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Please, you don't seriously believe this?

I neither believe it or don't believe it. Does anyone actually know Futa was or wasn't offered anything? Ditto for Emerson?

A guy turning down a better job in the league isn't unheard of. Jim Nill reportedly turned down interviews and possibly even GM jobs to stay in Detroit for years. Conte (NJ Head Scout) reportedly turned down Asst. GM posts and at least one GM spot as well. Can't find the link on that but I remember McKenzie talking about it at one of the drafts several years back.

Some guys are comfortable where they are at. I think a lot of fans think that it'd be such a slam dunk for anyone to take a promotion from scouting to Asst. GM or GM that if a guy isn't a GM or Asst. GM it means he just was never offered the position. Some people do turn those jobs down, at least for a period of time.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Please, you don't seriously believe this?

There's nothing absolutely nothing that says that they were offered the job either. There is however a trend around the league of a number of assisstant GMs being guys that are in their first front office position, and that is neither Futa or Emerson. Assisstant GMs are typically guys new to the business and get put in a postion to "learn on the job" so to speak.

buffalocupcrazy*

how is this poaching? Futa doesn't deserve a chance for a huge promotion?

this is the most common of sports moves. this literally happens in every single sport, every single year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Mittens*

how is this poaching? Futa doesn't deserve a chance for a huge promotion?

this is the most common of sports moves. this literally happens in every single sport, every single year.

Hello Mr. three weeks late to the conversation. would you like to talk about 9/11 or the Kennedy assassination next?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Actually what is kind of ridiculous is to think that the architect of one of the top teams in the league's entire drafting philosophy would chose a team in so much trouble like the Sabres to make his first choice to take over as GM.

Futa has earned his right and will leave eventually or when the right job comes along but it isn't arrogant or anything else for the people who know how valuable he is to have an informed opinion about his value or what are more likely his actual options.

Good luck the rest of the way with the sabres though and I am sure you will find someone to be your gm eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad