GDT: Sabres @ Columbus 7 PM ET TV:MSG Radio:WGR550

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The gave big deals and now letters to some mentally weak players. They fold under the pressure of expectations.

We also have a top 6 made up of a bunch of kids, a vet playing over his head

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Every single one of those guys could easily be traded so the idea of a buyout is batshit crazy.
If Cozens becomes a career 45 point guy (his stats last year), he really isn't worth that contract. If he has trade value in that scenario, it's only because his contract is so easy to buyout.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If Cozens becomes a career 45 point guy (his stats last year), he really isn't worth that contract. If he has trade value in that scenario, it's only because his contract is so easy to buyout.
A young player like Cozens will have several GMs who feel they’d have the team to bring the best out of them. Its not as if there isn’t a history of that with previous departures around the league.

I think you’re also way too fixated on buyouts. It’s not something teams generally like to do. It’s kind of nuts you think if we got a new GM he would even be looking to buyout all those players. Nor do most of them warrant it either.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
A young player like Cozens will have several GMs who feel they’d have the team to bring the best out of them. Its not as if there isn’t a history of that with previous departures.

I think you’re also way too fixated on buyouts. It’s not something teams generally like to do. It’s kind of nuts you think if we got a new GM he would even be looking to buyout all those players. Nor do most of them warrant it either.

I don't think anybody is getting bought out, but it does help make a player more tradable. Through 5 games Cozens has 1 assist which was him shooting the puck wide of the net. That is a 13 point season pace. Let's say this is a disaster season and he has 30 points. Any acquiring GM would absolutely value that option exists when making the deal. It lowers their risk.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't think anybody is getting bought out, but it does help make a player more tradable. Through 5 games Cozens has 1 assist which was him shooting the puck wide of the net. That is a 13 point season pace. Let's say this is a disaster season and he has 30 points. Any acquiring GM would absolutely value that option exists when making the deal. It lowers their risk.
I don’t see any GM, or least any good one, caring about the buyout situation if they are looking to acquire any of Cozens, Sammy, Power, etc.

Acquiring young players with that many years left on deals will only appeal to them if they feel they can get the player back on track. If that GMs feels they were just in crap situation here and coming to their new team would get them back to what their initial pedigree was. Then they would have a talented young player playing to their capabilities on a good deal.

You’re effectively saying they would view them as not very good players anymore. But what the hell, let’s take a shot on them since we can always buy them out at 1/3. I can’t imagine any good GM thinking like that.

I’d also point out Sammy only has next offseason left to be bought out at 1/3. Cozens just the next 2 offseasons.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
You want dahlin to sit but want players to hit...and want power to replace him? Power couldn't hit the 30 second button on the microwave to undercook popcorn....those 2 aren't comparable of youre gonna throw any form of physicality into the mix...
Gilbert has a simple good game. If dahlin is hurt he’s not helping us.

Nobody thinks power will hit but he’ll need a partner to clear the net and he’s proven he can log 25 min to allow dahlin to heal if he’s avoiding contact.

We have three guys that can clear the net and intimidate. 75, Gilbert and muel. more at forward dominating LA and Fla.

I love dahlins heart but watching Thompson last year try to play thru injury took a spot sway from someone that wasn’t a team millstone w great intentions.

This will get worked out . It’s also amplified by cozens and Quinn producing nothing, maybe just need time as many skill teams start slow over complicating thinking.

I’m not suggesting answers just don’t know what I’m seeing. and I trust Lindy to make these hard decisions that won’t be solved til ten to twenty games out

Last two nights were tough even brutal to watch. I’m sure you’d agree. Whatever about refs but we’ve earned all four losses. It’s early and the burn it down people are ptsd nuts but truly understandable as I won’t watch for all sanity if we don’t prove ourselves identity wise in Chicago.

Last edited:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
It’s early and he’s a child. Unfortunately playing like stick gripping individual effort bullsht right now. I’ll trust ruff but again watching if rough

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Cozens has nearly 300 NHL games played.

Thompson has nearly 400 and Dahlin well over 400 games.

Cozens is the youngest and he's going to be 24 soon. Thompson is 27. Dahlin is 24.

They're not young or inexperienced anymore. Not really. Using those excuses is a crutch at this point.

debaser66

Mar 10, 2012
Being the youngest team in the NHL isn't it. One or two veterans aren't going to be able to change this team. You got too many kids trying to learn how to win and it just doesn't work.
The idiot GM made the team less experienced with trading Mitts for bryam.
He is a good addition in a vacuum but not for this team.

Reactions: HaNotsri

BB79

Partially deceased
Apr 30, 2011
Cozens has nearly 300 NHL games played.

Thompson has nearly 400 and Dahlin well over 400 games.

Cozens is the youngest and he's going to be 24 soon. Thompson is 27. Dahlin is 24.

They're not young or inexperienced anymore. Not really. Using those excuses is a crutch at this point.
The stunted development of the youth is a symptom of a bigger problem...there's a talented team of ex-Sabres that won cups just after leaving the team. Something is wrong with the management of this team. The culture sucks? Owner doesn't know what he's doing? GM is clueless? All of the above?

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I just don't understand what the hell is going on.
Of anyone If you can't, I'm lost ? A try...

Seeing it's the same thing over and over it's the players and the culture imo and there just to thick to learn from it. When there is a little bit of pressure they just melt.

Whomever here caught on that they didn't have a good feeling about 26 becoming captain looks right. He seems to be really struggling with the added pressure.

Not having a full training camp hurt and whomever made the call to go to Europe should be fired immediately.

Reactions: sabremike

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Of anyone If you can't, I'm lost ? A try...

Seeing it's the same thing over and over it's the players and the culture imo and there just to thick to learn from it. When there is a little bit of pressure they just melt.

Whomever here caught on that they didn't have a good feeling about 26 becoming captain looks right. He seems to be really struggling with the added pressure.

Not having a full training camp hurt and whomever made the call to go to Europe should be fired immediately.
And I'm not sure that the problem is only with the players. Dahlin doesn't play aggressively, doesn't play a physical game, avoids contact and looks rusty because of the captain's pressure? I doubt it.

PP is on the coaches.

The game is on the coaches.

You can trade all the best players on this team and nothing will change, we've already seen it. ROR, Eichel, Reinhart, Ullmark, Mitts are gone.

The GM should be fired and replaced with a competent person. The coaching staff should be replenished with new competent people.

New GM could make a few trades, but Adams won't do a damn thing, we already know that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad