Confirmed with Link: Sabres Claim Zenon Konopka

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Can he be traded at the deadline?

IIRC with a guy you claimed a guy off waivers, if you try to trade him within the same season the original team first has the right to claim him back, then he has to pass through waivers. So, no, not really.

Lassa

Apr 16, 2013
I really liked the guys tweets when I was following Wild! I am not really an animal person, but tough guy with 13 nose breaks and a little bunny is - cute.

But who is baby Z now :)

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Can he be traded at the deadline?

13.20(b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused

I believe in this case the "same terms" refer to the terms of the waiver claim itself. Therefore it doesn't seem he has to clear waivers again, per se, but that any other team that put in a claim for him would have first crack at him as if it were a waiver claim

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Very happy with this pick up. Our FO % has really bothered me and this is a guy who knows how to take them. Also like his moxy. Won't solve all of our problems but what do you want for free. Can't beat that price. Might even re-up him if he fits well as bottom 6 C with us.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
13.20(b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused

I believe in this case the "same terms" refer to the terms of the waiver claim itself. Therefore it doesn't seem he has to clear waivers again, per se, but that any other team that put in a claim for him would have first crack at him as if it were a waiver claim

Yeah you're right, I recall that now. He doesn't go through waivers again, but any team that put a claim on him last time can have him.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I found a 3 game AHL suspension and a fine for criticizing nhl brass for a lengthy suspension of a teammate.

Obviously a minor move but so many reasons to like it

- no cost (waiver pickup)
- short of NHL and AHL forwards at the moment
- sticks up for teammates
- very good at faceoffs (please pass along some lessons to the others)
- great PK guy
- battles non stop
- hard / frustrating to play against
- local guy

Let him fill a spot, be a good team guy, pass along to the young guys some of PK/faceoff lessons, and help enforce the team mantra of work ethic and hard to play against. If he can do a few of those things, and maybe piss off some divisional rivals from time to time, then I like the move.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I'll predict ZK doesn't get into 7 more fights before the end of the season. In fact, I think under Nolan, he doesn't see 5 more fights this season. Just predicting....

Nolan isnt anti fighting, at all. Nolan is against staged fighting. He has said repeatedly that a fight that comes about during the heat of battle or to defend a teammate is something he supports. Which is why under Nolan you see a Scott decrease in fighting (usually a staged fight guy) and a McCormick increase in fighting (heat of battle / defend player fights kind of guy)

AlsPug

Nov 1, 2011
That's awesome

This almost broke a tear in my eyes! Such a heart warming thing to see and hear about a player I knew only as an ugly son of an b... i mean, enforcer.
Still has a voice and an appearance that would scare me, but things I've seen on YT I start to like him very much. :)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
In their fighting prime, who would win the line brawl?

Ray/May/Barnaby or Scott/McCormick/Konopka

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Nolan isnt anti fighting, at all. Nolan is against staged fighting. He has said repeatedly that a fight that comes about during the heat of battle or to defend a teammate is something he supports. Which is why under Nolan you see a Scott decrease in fighting (usually a staged fight guy) and a McCormick increase in fighting (heat of battle / defend player fights kind of guy)

Never said Nolan was anti fighting. I just predict ZK will not get into 7 fights like he has in the first half of the season :dunno:

That's all I really said

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Never said Nolan was anti fighting. I just predict ZK will not get into 7 fights like he has in the first half of the season :dunno:

That's all I really said

Wasnt attacking your point (at least not intentionally), was just making an observation and stating an opinion.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
As an Islander fan, here is my piece.

Zenon is a total character guy. Absolutely goes all in for the crest on the jersey. Backs up everyone in the locker room. He still has ties to Islanders IMO, giving a shout out to OKposo on twitter and during the all star game where JT made it, Alfie said to JT, "Z wanted to make sure I picked you."

Really nice guy and I think locker rooms will always need a guy like him.

On the ice it is pretty straight forward. He wins faceoffs better than practically everyone in the friggin league. Always important skillset to have IMO. That and he fights a lot. Like I said, he backs up his boys.

He isn't the best fighter but sometimes that doesn't matter.

He plays physical, gets some hits but nothing highlight worthy, just finishes checks. He isn't a total slug and isn't horrible with the puck but I wouldn't expect more than 10 points over an 80 game season either.

Just a let me do my job guy. Smart pick up for a team whose roster will likely be changing and has young guys.

This is a spot on description of the Big Z.

He played his role perfectly here in Minnesota, but the team is just going in a different direction and Zenon became expendable.

Great community/kids/fans guy.
Very funny, and a good quote.
He can forecheck and cycle the puck pretty well actually, and is a master at faceoffs.

I think you will be happy.

We will miss you Zenon and Hoppy!

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
@ZenonKonopka

Things to do 1.get to Buff 2.get Hoppy a Sabres Jersey 3.beat the Devils 4.give Rob Ray a high five 5.eat chicken wings and pizza #Sabres

awesome

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
least shocking Ted Nolan waiver claim ever.

And Tropp,can't make this crap team. Second coming of Barnaby, May, Ray years. These guys are garbage. Once Miller goes in a few weeks, this team is going to be so bad it'll be scary.

Next year? If they sign some UFAs maybe they'll be better. Otherwise this is an AHL team. It smells so bad,

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Looks like Zenon's stuck at LaGuardia:

Zenon Konopka ‏@ZenonKonopka 2h
Flight- Minny to Nyc to Buff -land in nyc on time-sit on tarmac for an hour going to miss my connection but it's delayed 2.5hrs #winning???
https://twitter.com/ZenonKonopka/status/419265733353570304

Zenon Konopka ‏@ZenonKonopka 1h
I'm definitely not the only one delayed at Laguardia #makethebestofit http://instagram.com/p/iumGCtEZ3T/
https://twitter.com/ZenonKonopka/status/419275075687563264

Zenon Konopka ‏@ZenonKonopka 1m
Wellllllll ... At least my flight isn't cancelled #knockonwood #glasshalffull http://instagram.com/p/iuuGuBEZzG/
https://twitter.com/ZenonKonopka/status/419292691151982592

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
This is a spot on description of the Big Z.

He played his role perfectly here in Minnesota, but the team is just going in a different direction and Zenon became expendable.

Great community/kids/fans guy.
Very funny, and a good quote.
He can forecheck and cycle the puck pretty well actually, and is a master at faceoffs.

I think you will be happy.

We will miss you Zenon and Hoppy!

How does a 4th line character guy who is competent defensively and a beast on face offs become expendable on a team struggling to make the playoffs? Something doesn't add up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad