GBU Sabres - Bruins; Good/Bad/Ugly

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
These games aren’t even fun to watch anymore. Team hit a wall. Chalk it up to youth. I’ll probably tune in for the last 2 or 3 games.

Reactions: TuchYeah

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'm here for Dahlin and Cozens. You get my appreciation to at least push back even when you couldnt on the score board.

Stillman still can't fight on account of broken face, Greenway was invisible and even a guy like Girgensons who has dropped mitts before refuses to do anything. Despite watching okposo willing to do it for him (dumb idea). Lube is basically Emelin version negative 9.0. his hits arent as common, sometimes as big and wont fight after he throws them. (at least emelein had a plate in his face for an excuse)

We got walked all over the scoreboard and besides Cozens also in ability to at least seem like a formable foe.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I've thought that too, including Cozens comments on the John Scott podcast.

The roster has been deeply flawed for most of the year and they have come apart under the stress of this.
Aw, that's disappointing to read.

We talked about this a lot as the trade deadline came and passed. I had a feeling it wouldn't sit right in the locker room. They played their asses off the game before the TDL, and havent really showed much fight since then except Tuch returning, which lit a fire under them for a game.

If we're being honest, this year will be a disappointment if this trend to close the year continues. I wanted to see a 90pt season, and it looks like they're going to fall short of that, but what's more concerning is they completely mailed it in to end the year.

My confidence in Granato/Adams has taking a bit of a hit over the past month. Next year will be telling. Adams can give me hope if he makes some solid additions. Granato will be a longer wait and see to gauge if the defensive structure is coming together AND he can keep the players focused for an entire season.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I've thought that too, including Cozens comments on the John Scott podcast.

The roster has been deeply flawed for most of the year and they have come apart under the stress of this.
What were Cozens comments?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Aw, that's disappointing to read.

We talked about this a lot as the trade deadline came and past. I had a feeling it wouldn't sit right in the locker room. They played their ass of the game before the TDL, and havent really showed much fight since then except Tuch returning, which lit a fire undert them for a game.

If we're being honest, this year will be a disappointment if this trend to close the year continues. I wanted to see a 90pt season, and it looks like they're going to fall short of that while also completely mailing it in to end the year.

My confidence in Granato/Adams has taking a bit of a hit over the past month. Next year will be telling. Adams can give me hope if he makes some solid additions. Granato will be a longer wait and see to gauge if the defensive structure is coming together AND he can keep the players focused for an entire season.

My confidence in Adams was tenuous. I didn't like the hire, but things worked last year. Right now, he's slipping toward my shit list in the way I couldn't stand Botterill.

The player pods all talk about how flat insignificant adds (or no adds) are for the room. Not addressing the team's various weaknesses deeply wounded their vibes. They aren't a deep team and have a lot of guys playing through things, but they have all collectively sagged since the deadline. I came away thinking Cozens sounded defeated on Scott's podcast. Ray and Biron talked about how Regier flattened the room with the Corkum trade in 2001. Gionta mentioned it on the Rivet/Peters pod as well.

I get that the GM is trying to maximize value and build for the future. He has to balance that against the moves to help his current team and he has done so poorly.

I don't know if Granato can get them motivated to play right now in the face of the mounting defeats. That isn't a shot at Don so much as it is systemic failure from the GM down. And if that's just the GM following ownership directives, then it's from the owners down that this team is yet again floundering.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
1679256945669.jpeg

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It was an Efficient loss. Minimal effort expended.
The Sabres Effectively avoided engaging the Bruins.
Boston fans had an Economical travel trip.

Buffalo had the 2nd or 3rd best win percentage in NHL history their 1st forty years of existence.
Team nickname is Sabres; yet who will fall on the sword.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
My confidence in Adams was tenuous. I didn't like the hire, but things worked last year. Right now, he's slipping toward my shit list in the way I couldn't stand Botterill.

The player pods all talk about how flat insignificant adds (or no adds) are for the room. Not addressing the team's various weaknesses deeply wounded their vibes. They aren't a deep team and have a lot of guys playing through things, but they have all collectively sagged since the deadline. I came away thinking Cozens sounded defeated on Scott's podcast. Ray and Biron talked about how Regier flattened the room with the Corkum trade in 2001. Gionta mentioned it on the Rivet/Peters pod as well.

I get that the GM is trying to maximize value and build for the future. He has to balance that against the moves to help his current team and he has done so poorly.

I don't know if Granato can get them motivated to play right now in the face of the mounting defeats. That isn't a shot at Don so much as it is systemic failure from the GM down. And if that's just the GM following ownership directives, then it's from the owners down that this team is yet again floundering.
I agree with a lot of this.

This season is a bit similar to Eichel's rookie year (2015?) when RoR first played here. The potential was there. We saw glimpses of a good team.They weren't a bottom dweller. Hopes were high going into next season, but the GM could not build around a solid core of players, and couldn't identify players to get rid of.

Let's hope history doesn't repeat. Adams seems to draft and develop prospects well at least, which makes me think this team will continue to progress and wont be Botterill levels of bad. Im concerned about where they level off, though.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Ugly: The fact that I paid good money to go to this game.
This will be the last time I take the fam to a game. It's generally a good excuse to come up and see some friends and family in buffalo but why pay hundreds of dollars to get angry.

Maybe another letter to the fans. Sorry Ras I know you're out there dinged up giving it your best but it came off as a veiled plea for ticket sales.

It wouldn't matter if they picked up Lemieux at the deadline if you show up with that level of intensity.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I only watched the first 15 seconds. Bruins scored. It was clear that the Sabres were not here to play.

That said, I think it can be reasonably argued that this team gave up when the GM didn’t make a real move at the deadline, and signaled to the team and fans that this season didn’t matter to them.
They were done long before that, Dahlin was even on record saying the break killed their momentum.

TuchYeah

Mar 15, 2023
This will be the last time I take the fam to a game. It's generally a good excuse to come up and see some friends and family in buffalo but why pay hundreds of dollars to get angry.

Maybe another letter to the fans. Sorry Ras I know you're out there dinged up giving it your best but it came off as a veiled plea for ticket sales.

It wouldn't matter if they picked up Lemieux at the deadline if you show up with that level of intensity.
Completely agree. I paid good money to watch the Flyers shut us out at home a few months ago, and to lose to Carolina 4-1 too. I want to support the team but at 2/4 games I’ve been to this year they came out with zero energy and went through the motions.

• Wow
Reactions: Matt Ress

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Why can't they put one good season together? One season is a start of it, last was final stretch, this was in middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad