OT: s o f t players d i s c u s s i o n

In your humble opinion, who is the softest player on the Leafs?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The softness Mitch exhibits is infectious, others might inspire teammates by their willingness to sacrifice themselves for the team, and others turn a big C in teddy bears.
That's a really great point. I am not sure I put it ALL on Mitch, but it could be a culture of skill over grit; the whole "the best revenge is a good PP" mentality. Well, that let's other teams take liberties and then our PP disappears in the playoffs...so no revenge I guess.

Reaves brought swagger and protection and maybe that helped, but then he is a scratch in the playoffs too...which I agree with. Bertuzzi and Domi were fine in this regard but clearly not enough to change that culture.

Who do we have now?

Domi, Knies McMann, Dewar, Reaves, McCabe, Tanev, Benoit. That's eight, it's almost half the roster.

Let's put Matthews, Tavares, OEL and Rielly in the middle, as neither soft nor gritty. Anyone else?

So, who's actually soft? Marner? Yep? is Nylander soft? Robertson? Holmberg? Probably. Kampf? Jarnkrok? Is Liljegren actually soft or just not tough enough?

What we need is to look to replace some of that bottom group with people that can play and fill a role and bring an edge. Of course, Marner and Nylander are in that group. Another reason to consider letting MM walk if things aren't different this year. Let's not forget we have a new coach, so maybe things will be different.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Nylander is my favorite Leaf, but I'd argue that it's definitely Nylander. He will routinely duck out of checks and give up possesion.

Marner is guilty of this as well, but Marner has been historically way more willing to block shots.

I know it's popular to hate on Mitch right now but I try not to be biased. To be fair, Marner was shockingly bad at everything vs the Bruins

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Actually, he turned something much worse than water into wine. Can a person be credited for turning piss into wine?

11 years before Matthews arrival = missed the playoffs ten times and the one time they did make it was a lockout shortened season where many thought we were trending to miss the playoffs had the season gone any longer.

Eight season since Matthews arrival = made the playoffs eight times. Every year. The longest active streak in the NHL.

That feels like piss into wine for me. Piss into champagne is when we reach the finals or win a cup I guess.
I see it more like turning piss into bubbly champagne and the first few years it remained bubbly, then it started to go flat and then it did go flat.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I see it more like turning piss into bubbly champagne and the first few years it remained bubbly, then it started to go flat and then it did go flat.

That's pretty good too. I would say those of us that remember years and decades of piss are not as upset about some flat wine as others are.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander is my favorite Leaf, but I'd argue that it's definitely Nylander. He will routinely duck out of checks and give up possesion.

Marner is guilty of this as well, but Marner has been historically way more willing to block shots.

I know it's popular to hate on Mitch right now but I try not to be biased. To be fair, Marner was shockingly bad at everything vs the Bruins
Over the last two years, there are 17 forwards with 50 games for the Leafs.

Only 6 have fewer giveaways per 60 than Nylander, and they aren't the ones who have the puck very much: Holmberg, Kampf, McMann, Gregor, ZAR, and Jarnkrok. The ones with the most are Marner, Domi, Tavares, Bertuzzi, and Matthews - 5 of the 6 'top' forwards.

I don't think it's fair to single out Nylander as the one to "give up possession".

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Correct. The cap is dedicated to 4 soft and skilled offensive players. We know signing Tavares was a colossal mistake but, at the very least, Marner should have been traded for a Tkachuk, Miller, or Konecny type by now.

Tavares needs to come off the books. Nylander has proven to be one of the best value players of the lot. Marner is a disaster waiting to happen. Matthews is an uber-talented, elite goal scorer but he's soft as Kleenex and cannot carry the team. We better hope Berube has the magic elixir or it will be more of the same until a couple of these guys are moved.
I hope you right but I don't see tigers changing their stripes .. next year is a write off for playoff exit much like past 8 years .. Willy and Matty is maximum SOFTIES we can carry .. bottom line Mitch needs to be traded for a top flight 2way D .. JT will take league min to help get a Cup as a LWer (or he will retire) .. Rielly needs to be traded for another 2 way D man who can play defense .. then freed up CAP space needs to be spent on a G (maybe 1 we already have) and a 2C and maybe a 3C .. this is a ton of work but possible following season once Shanny is replaced .. clearly he can't see da forest for da trees .. a fearless player tough loyal as h*ll with a boomer (best one I have ever seen playing) but not bright enough unfortunately .. more than likely we don't build a proper team around Matty and Willy

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You can get away with a certain amount of softness but not as much as we have. I'm not even sure Marner qualifies as soft. He is in his own league.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Our core:

soft-B.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad